Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rosberg Retires
loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Rosberg Retires

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846
Can honestly say I was thinking he may do.

Mistral Motorsport

james h

posted on 2/12/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was discussing with my sister how he wouldn't have the motivation for next year - he knows he can't beat Lewis in a straight fight.
Hammy360

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james h
I was discussing with my sister how he wouldn't have the motivation for next year - he knows he can't beat Lewis in a straight fight.

Agreed! If he was any good and with that car with 0 problems he should have won 4-5 races ago. He knows Lewis, Max, Ricciardo and Vettel will be on track again next year so he's bowed out. I for one am glad he's gone as I think he was bad for the sport.

Cue abuse from Rosberg fans

Hammy

sdh2903

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Who's in line for that seat then.?

I assume maybe wehrline or maybe they will want a bigger name

loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Jenson?!

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Haha nice thought but Jenson sounded done with the whole circus. Although a competitive car and another chance to outperform Lewis again maybe a tempter.....
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Lewis will have to find someone else to whinge about now then
morcus

posted on 2/12/16 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I thought one of them might leave Merc but wouldn't have guessed Nico would quite F1. In most things in life it is better to quit while you're ahead as you don't give yourself an opportunity to fail.

It will be interesting to see who they get to replace him given that most teams have secured they're line-ups for next year, I don't think they'll be able to temp over another former Champion.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jeffw

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wehrlein and Ocon are the Junior Merc drivers so it is likely to be Wehrlein....or maybe Hulkenburg as an outside possibility

sdh2903

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Lewis will have to find someone else to whinge about now then

To be fair I think the only time he has whinged about nico is when nico has driven in to him.

Not saying he don't whinge tho as he is a moany git

loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
It will be interesting to see who they get to replace him given that most teams have secured they're line-ups for next year, I don't think they'll be able to temp over another former Champion.

Do you not?
Button - i suspect he only retired as he knew the likely hood of getting a competitive car was slim. Has no contract
Alonso - Under contract but obviously not that happy at Maclaren
Vettel - Clearly not happy at Ferrari,
Raikkonen - Not as vocal as vettel, but would no doubt jump from a poor ferrari to merc.

Contracts are easily bought out of - Nico had one hes not fulfilling!

Playing devils advocate - theres is of course no guarantee Mercedes domination will continue, its almost certain they will be fighting at very top level.

Other options
Manor boys - but i think they would be after more experience/or proven pace - Its only redbull that appear to be happy risking young blood.
Verstappen - I suspect Totos calls to his dad were more than just 'dont mess up our boys race' more likely to be 'dont mess up our boys race, I want to convince the board your lad is mature enough for our team in a few years'

[Edited on 2-12-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Lewis and max in equal cars. Ooooh now that would be interesting. Doubt it will happen mind as I think redbull will be back at the top next year as the focus switches more to aero. and we all know that redbull have the best aero guru in charge.
benchmark51

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Nope, I am! A 65 y.o. Locost driver, I cream the lot of 'em.

loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Lewis and max in equal cars. Ooooh now that would be interesting. Doubt it will happen mind as I think redbull will be back at the top next year as the focus switches more to aero. and we all know that redbull have the best aero guru in charge.

But aero has increased, meaning more power is more important.

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 2/12/16 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Engine regs not hugely different next year. 1 less each aswell so they are going to have to look after them more too.
jeffw

posted on 2/12/16 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bottas to Mercedes, Wehrlein to Williams. Williams get free engines...

Dave Bailey

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure Jensen will be in Rallycross next year....
benchmark51

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
Pretty sure Jensen will be in Rallycross next year....

Make a change from the 'milk float'.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Engine regulations remain essentially the same, regulations written primarily for Formula Mercedes.
If you're getting a tad jaded with FM at the moment, then it could get a whole lot worse if a replacement for Nico doesn't have the German's talent.

It's up to Mercedes whether they make FM interesting, or not, in 2017. No competition for Hamilton will mean a rather pointless 'Championship'.

I can understand Nico. I can't think of many jobs that take you around the world, require continuous absolute commitment and have so much stress. He's reached the pinnacle of the sport, what else is there to do. Cf. Lauda.

morcus

posted on 2/12/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think Alonso or Vettel would join up to be partnered with Hamilton, though I would like to see Vettel and Lewis head to head in the same car.

My money would be on Pascal. It will be interesting to see who they get.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Huttojb

posted on 2/12/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't Palmer out of contract from Renault!!!

Would love to see Max, and wasn't Toto on the phone to Max's Dad/Manager the other week!!!!

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal - 57,005

loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Palmer signed for renault a few weeks back.
See my comments above re 'totos call'!

Mistral Motorsport

craig1410

posted on 2/12/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would dearly love to see Alonso joining Mercedes and racing Hamilton without any team bias this time. He still has the fitness and work ethic and I honestly believe that Alonso has improved as a driver in the years since 2007 whereas Hamilton is clearly losing interest and focus. I don't even think Hamilton would come close over a season although he would inevitably come good over the occasional fast lap or two.

That said, I have good reason to fear that, if Alonso did come to Mercedes, somehow the 2017 car would turn out to be a lemon. Even though I'm an Alonso fan, I recognise that his luck/judgement/timing on moving teams is about as good as when I choose which checkout queue to join at the supermarket!

Personal preferences aside, I think Mercedes do need an experienced driver with a strong work ethic and 100% motivation because they are going to have their hands full with Red Bull next year for sure! Given that Hamilton threatened to quit earlier this year and given his other interests outdside of F1 (not a criticism - just a fact) I don't think he's the ideal guy to lead a team with a more junior member in it. The new 2017 cars will need to draw upon the experience of some of the older guys because some aspects of the cars won't have been experienced by the young guns yet. I wonder if Jenson could be lured back to McLaren to lead Vandoorne, releasing Alonso to go to Merc. McLaren might benefit from saving a few quid from Alonso's salary given the lack of sponsorship they currently have. If they can get a pay off from Mercedes then that might suit them even better.

Interesting to see what happens!

[Edited on 2/12/2016 by craig1410]

StevieB

posted on 3/12/16 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon the move to get Bottas is likely, with Wehrlein to sit in at Williams. Merc can offer Williams a decent engine deal as well as a young hot shot driver in order to bring Bottas across. It's not a move I'd considered before reason the Sky Sports F1 column and seeing the opinion from My Brundle - I didn't realise that Tota Wolff has an interest in Bottas's management team, as well as his previous (and likely ongoing in some way) business connections with the Williams team.

I also wonder if they might try and tempt Button to sign up for a single season while they figure out what to do longer term. He's still a fast driver, and very experienced in terms of car development (plus has been one of the teams former champions under another guise).

Either option gives stability in the team, and neither (so far) have proven to be the kind of characters that will de-stabilise Hamilton. I think having two too drivers has worked for them while they've had a dominant car, but I don't think they'll want that pressure cooker to deal with when they need to keep a bigger eye on the competition - they need a clear lead driver and rear gunner set up.

Huttojb

posted on 3/12/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Verstappen - I suspect Totos calls to his dad were more than just 'dont mess up our boys race' more likely to be 'dont mess up our boys race, I want to convince the board your lad is mature enough for our team in a few years'

Didn't see this, great minds and all that!!

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal - 57,005

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.