Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mnr
jamess796

posted on 1/1/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mnr

Hi
I am new to the forum, I thinking of buying a mnr (when one comes up for sale). I'm thinking of a hayabusa powered one really. The plan is to use it on the road , as I ride bikes on the track and just want a toy for the road. Me and my dad built a Robin Hood 3a years ago ,so not new to kit cars. How reliable are the Bec 's? How much are they going for? I would like to go into Europe in it in summer. Any help would be appreciated

Many thanks
James

CosKev3

posted on 1/1/17 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Reliability will depend massively on the quality of the build, the same as with a car engine.

They don't really make the best touring/long distance driving cars though IMO,as they are low geared so quite revvy on dual carriageways etc and the drive train being dog engagement gears is noisy

[Edited on 1/1/17 by CosKev3]

CosKev3

posted on 1/1/17 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Price wise with a Busa lump you might land lucky on a nice one for circa 10k,but could be anything upto 15k for well specced/built ones.
Nickp

posted on 1/1/17 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
If road use and touring are it's main uses then a BEC probably wouldn't be my first choice.
My BMW powered Haynes will weigh more than most (if not all!!) BECs but will have 230bhp and a mountain of torque compared to most (if not all!!) BECs. I too hope to tour Europe (race tracks) in mine soon

jamess796

posted on 1/1/17 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thought about the cec s but because I ride bikes I like the revy engines and the sequential gearbox, probably need to go out in bother Bec and cec. I thought between 10-12 for a nice hayabusa model. The touring side was only going to be a one off if it did happen. I was more concerned how long the engines, gearbox s and clutches cope with the extra weight of the car. Will mnr be at the mnr autosport show?
Jasmcauley

posted on 1/1/17 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I recently bought my well specd indy for a reasonable price.

Bags or torque compared to my old blade engine.

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

snapper

posted on 1/1/17 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Russ Bost drove his GSXR Engined Furore to Le Mans and back so distance is more about your mind set, an MNR is a very good BEC and if you have come from bikes you'll be more atuned to the sound and the feel.
Can't go wrong with a good MNR

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

russbost

posted on 2/1/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Russ Bost drove his GSXR Engined Furore to Le Mans and back so distance is more about your mind set, an MNR is a very good BEC and if you have come from bikes you'll be more atuned to the sound and the feel.
Can't go wrong with a good MNR

It's a ZZR1400, not a GSXR, very similar in characteristics to the 'Busa tho' probably a little more torque. I have a final drive of 3.28 & 17" wheels with relatively high profile tyres, 45 or 50 profile with a 245 or 255 width, so it's considerably higher geared than a 7 would be unless you ran similar tyres & a 3.3 diff, both of which are not particularly commonplace in a 7. At 70mph I have around 4750rpm, so it's very relaxed when compared to most bec installations which top out at maybe 120 - 130mph.

Just something else to bear in mind for long distances, my engine is several feet behind my head rather than sitting straight in front of me - it's not exactly quiet tho'!

There are several guys on here who've toured Europe with bec cars, so as Paul says largely a state of mind - I would say if properly setup they are at least as reliable as a typical cec setup

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CosKev3

posted on 2/1/17 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah the gearing on yours makes it much nicer to cruise!

My R1 on a 3.62 diff and 15 inch alloys was sitting at 7000rpm at 70mph,couldn't live with that so changed to a 3.38 diff and its circa 6000rpm now which is better but gets boring after circa 20 miles cruising constantly

B road blasting and track days is what a BEC is ideal for

Sequential gear change and the revs make them much more of a 'toy' than a CEC IMO

jamess796

posted on 2/1/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will just have to sit tight until one comes up for sale!
matty h

posted on 2/1/17 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
One up for sale on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/683643831725134/?fref=nf

Matty

adithorp

posted on 2/1/17 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
How reliable are the Bec 's?

Very much depends on the design and build and to some extent the driver. Done right they're reliable. Mine has done 20,000miles on it's original engine and never missed a beat Then I fitted an uprated version and have done 10,000 with that and the only issue was a blown head gasket in the first 100 of my own making (should have fitted an oil cooler). I know several others who've done big mileages and few issues that were BEC related.
Busa should be dry sumped though to be reliable.

How much are they going for?

Busa powered MNR is probably going to be in the £8-12k range but you'll see them advertised for more as well.

I would like to go into Europe in it in summer?

I've done a 3k mile Euro tour seven times plus a LeMans Classic trip and a Laon Classic (1000mile plus each). The biggest issue with a kit is the wind noise and buffeting, not the engine in my experience. An MNR will be worst for that as it's more exposed than my Fury . Good ear plugs are the essential, a decent diff ratio (BUSA probably wants a 3.14:1 for touring), an aero screen and a helmet with a lip to stop it being lifted in the air-flow (rather than a bike type), front mud flaps to stop the rooster tail wheel spray, a tonneau and side panel/door should help as well and good wet weather gear...
At's all worth it once you get to the mountains though. BECs are great on track but the mountains are their true home. The lack of weight is great under acceleration but brute power can overcome that. It really comes into focus under braking and cornering and no car engined car will compare... or sports bike.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.