Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec on 45s cold start missfire
legend

posted on 5/2/17 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
zetec on 45s cold start missfire

just bought westfield 2.0l zetec with twin 45s on clubmans ign first 3 cold starts it is missfiring number 3 plug and today number 4 plug when i have pulled out plug looks a bit wet clean with wire brush put back in and then all ok ..... is it me starting the car wrong ?plug are platinum tipped is that ok .poor spark ?compression is ok.one thing it has not been on road for a year poss needs long drive?

[Edited on 5/2/17 by legend]

Hornet

posted on 5/2/17 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
As you say you have just bought it, why not ask the previous owner for some advise? They may tell you they had this problem? 1 and 4 are the same signal and 2 and 3 so not the signal. Is it damp when you started? Try a spray to help remove moisture from leads etc. What ecu you running? Is the map ok for these cold conditions? I know my car starts and runs far better in warmer times.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/2/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Has it been started regularly but not driven that much recently if so it maybe worth investing in a new set of spark plugs and when you start it up give it a drive or if your not get it operating temp and give it a decent rev don't have it idling for to long before you turn it off as with most cars fitted with big carbs generally they run too rich on idle in my experience .just reread the original post if it hasn't been used give it a good run with new fuel and as said carbs may need a clean .

[Edited on 6/2/17 by ian locostzx9rc2]

anthony1

posted on 5/2/17 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Platinum plugs.....

I used platinum plugs in my 1760 crossflow F27 a few years ago.......they were fine on a long run , but were forever fouling up and misfiring if I just took the car out for a quick spin......I changed them to ordinary NGK or BOSCH plugs......no problems. Assuming on your set up everything else is ok.
rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the choke? Just about every car I've known fitted with sided draft Webers has had problems when using the choke.
My normal starting procedure is to pump the accelerometer once before cranking if that fails pump twice.

gremlin1234

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
one thing it has not been on road for a year poss needs long drive?
fuel
standard unleaded has ~5% ethanol.
quote from a current ford owners manual
quote:
Your vehicle is suitable for use with ethanol blends up to 10% (E5 and E10).
Long-Term Storage
Most petrol contains ethanol. We recommend that you fill the fuel tank with fuel that does not contain ethanol if you intend to store your vehicle for more than two months...

Adamirish

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Are you using the choke? Just about every car I've known fitted with sided draft Webers has had problems when using the choke.
My normal starting procedure is to pump the accelerometer once before cranking if that fails pump twice.

I have this very same problem. 1690 xflow/twin 40's. The choke is a waste of time, it just makes it run like a bag of sh*t. I just hold the revs at around 1200 until it will idle on its own.

As for pumping the throttle, don't pump it too much as it will flood. Don't be tempted to give that extra pump while trying to start it outside a cafe surrounded by about 50 bikers either. You may flood it, get a backfire through the carbs and set your air filter on fire. It WILL be embarrassing. I speak from experience here.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

legend

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
dunell clubman 3d ecu i think . no chokes not connected . yes could be stale petrol.mmm yes have let it idle poss too long .have wd40 all plug leads and inside ends of leads see what happens tomorrow
britishtrident

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
As above don't use the "choke" but make sure to exercise the cold start levers on the carbs everytime you check the engine over as they can seize up.
One dab on the throttle pedal or perhaps two should start the engine every time. If it dosen't start by the third attempt use the clear flood procedure: s-l-o-w-l-y push the pedal to the floor and hold it there while you crank the starter.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 5/2/17 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony1
I used platinum plugs in my 1760 crossflow F27 a few years ago.......they were fine on a long run , but were forever fouling up and misfiring if I just took the car out for a quick spin......I changed them to ordinary NGK or BOSCH plugs......no problems. Assuming on your set up everything else is ok.

The platinum plugs you were using must have been the wrong heat range --- ie too cold a heat rating called by old race mechanics a "hard" plug.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

perksy

posted on 5/2/17 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
My old Zetec on 45's was pump the accelerator pedal twice and then slowly down the third time as I started the car, worked everytime

If there's old fuel in the tank it will run horrible...

It might be the carb's need some love if its been standing, Floats can stick if left standing for long enough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.