Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage workshop build ideas and tips
Bluemoon

posted on 28/3/17 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
garage workshop build ideas and tips

Hi All,

In the process of planning a build of a new garage. Looking for ideas/photos/tips from your workshops...

What would your ideal workshop/garage be like?

Any lessons learnt?

Regards,

Dan

[Edited on 28/3/17 by Bluemoon]

nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Storage space - a pitched roof so you can store items in the roof space.

Lots of power sockets - you can't have too many IMHO.

Lighting - good lighting makes a real difference to your work space.

Security - doors that can be closed and locked securely.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/3/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
When I re-do my electrics, I'm definitely going to put an E-stop button in as well! But as already said, plenty of power sockets at various heights. And if you've got a compressor, consider rigind pipework along one/both walls with various outlets as well.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was on a beach on Sunday and there were some beach huts there. Some with padlocks on the doors, but in reality you could lift the doors off the hinges without disturbing the padlocks! Short of that you could unscrew the padlock hasp

JMW

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I hope there's lots of contributions to this thread as I will be in the same position soon.

For lighting I am considering instead of flourescent tubes, led panels like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WT2BCZO/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Has anyone any views on these?

Also I intend to paint the floor as I have done in the past, it makes tidying up and lying on it more pleasant.

knight19770

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you feed your new workshop with a decent supply cable, Especially if you are going to be welding or any heavy duty tools!, Led lights are the way to go. They are coming down in price and are very reliable if you buy a decent make.
nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
LED bulbs throughout my house and they work just fine - I don't even get so uppity when the kids leave the lights on either.

se7ensport

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
High enough that you can fit a two post lift and the car won't hit the eves when you walk under it.

If you are even considering a lift make sure you have adequate pads for the legs.

Industrial quality floor sealant, I have tried different paints and they all peel off if a car is in contact with it for an extended period of time.

Strip lights are great, would also recommend sky lights.

Paint the walls white - it really helps with the illumination and looks clean.

Plenty of shelves, make use of all walls, I have spare wheels mounted on wall studs, bike rack with bike hooks above (8 bikes stored in the space of 4), roofbox shelf etc.. basically a place for everything so the floor is clear and not used for storage.

Minimum of two vices, both with lights angled down towards them (one with soft jaws).

Fume extractor fan.

A grinding bench, metal faced with a dust extractor.

A very good alarm system.

mcerd1

posted on 28/3/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
for starters:

*Insulate as much as you can

*Paint the floor, walls and ceiling in light colours to keep dust to a minimum and reflect the light - light grey floor paint and white everything else is my preference

*Fit plenty of lights and possibly some skylights too (depending on your roof design of course) natural light is always best if you can get it

*Fit plenty of power sockets - saves trailing extension leads allover the place

*Build in storage where ever you can

Then depending on what you want / need:

*Old kitchen units as the base for a bench down one side / at the end - gives you loads of storage in the cupboards and you can always reinforce them if you want a more heavy duty bench.

*old dishwashers make excellent parts washers and if you can't get one of them an old sink will do
(we have one draining into a bucket as solvents aren't the best thing to put down the drain )

*Old wheels can be good for hanging / coiling up cables and airlines - I've got one on a old caravan hub mounted to the wall so it can spin (mines an old ford works WRC focus wheel for added bling )

*A whiteboard / blackboard - if your like me and need a big 'to do' / 'to buy' list
blackboard paint is cheap and so is self adhesive whiteboard film - I'm planning to mount the bonnet off my donor car on the wall and cover it in whiteboard film

*Build-in a wheel rack somewhere - if you've got loads of spare wheels and tyres you might as well keep them out of the way

*A decent size toolbox thats at least a half decent quality - something like the halfords professional ones are plenty good enough for home use (wait till there is a good offer on though)
Its the only thing I really spent any money on - but it does encourage you to use it properly (especially if your lazy like me) making it so much easier to find the tool you want later and keeps the whole place tidy too.
I managed to combine a bundle and a sale with an extra 10% online flash sale and collecting in-store (no delivery charge) to get all 3 of these as a bundle for £225

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-5-drawer-ball-bearing-cabinet

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-4-drawer-intermediate-ball-bearing-chest

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-9-drawer-ball-bearing-chest

I got given a load of modular workbenches for nowt from the wifes old work (square alloy tubes with push in plastic nodes to join it) I took these apart and built a set of oversized shelves (ideal for kit car panels) / bench combo and screwed it to the wall to make it nice and solid - the bars between the legs just happened to be the right width to be my tyre rack too - so its always worth asking around to see what you can get for nowt

I'm sure there is more...

[Edited on 29/3/2017 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 28/3/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the layout/position etc I'd suggest an up n' over garage door. Not overly expensive and when it's up it gives you another 2-3 ft of covered space below it.

FuryRebuild

posted on 28/3/17 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
All great advice and I don't want to repeat it, but I went for what was thought of by SWMBO as a ludicrous amount of strip lights: 4x2 in the ceiling, two on each wall vertically, and if I can, then floor mounted as well. You can't have enough.

Run airlines to either side of the garage - I fitted retractable ones and they've paid for their convenience hundreds of times over.

I have a roller garage door - it gave me lots of room back over an up-and-over.

I also had an electrician fit a 45A supply for my welder on a separate breaker.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Nathsx

posted on 28/3/17 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Im in the same situation trying to debate do i batton and plasterboard the walls or save the space etc

Thread on PH gives some good ideas for all budgets.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=573190

What are peoples views of standard led Tubes vs the LED Panels?.

How do the propery epoxy floors compare to a painted finish ?

[Edited on 28/3/17 by Nathsx]

rash12

posted on 28/3/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
i have led tubes excellent light and instant light no starters worth every penny
rash12

posted on 28/3/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 28/3/17 by rash12]

gremlin1234

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
while I agree on the lighting, ensure it does not 'strobe' at mains frequency, (some led lighting unfortunately does)
reason: it can make moving things like bench grinders and drill press look as though they are moving really slowly or even appear stationary.

spiderman

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Build it at least twice as big as you think you need.

Spider

sdh2903

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine last year. I have a thread on here somewhere.

Light and heat. Get these right and your laughing. If your on a tight budget get decent flourescent tubes. I have 4 5ft daylight tubes and coupled with white walls and ceiling it's very bright. The equivalent led output would have been 3 x the cost.

Insulate everywhere. I was lucky as it was easy to run the pipes for a central heating radiator. It's such a nice place to work however cold outside and keeps everything damp free.

Storage wise I used cheapo Ikea units and an ex display b and q kitchen. Keeps the dust off everything and the place always looks tidy.

6 x double sockets has always been more than plenty.

sdh2903

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=202928
peter030371

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Same as above re insulation and light. I have 600 x 600 LED light panels (with surface mount kit) give great, even, illumination against white walls and ceilings.

Decent quality floor tiles like this https://www.ecotileflooring.com/application/garage-workshop-flooring/ make working at ground level almost a pleasure compared to cold concrete

Nathsx

posted on 28/3/17 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had started to draw what i wanted to do up in sketchup..

just to get an idea of how everything would fit together and what space id have to work with.

Its part of the house so enlarging it is difficult.

My dad however has given me a electric hoist which can lift 250kg only problem being i need something that has the capacity to
hold 500kg to support it.. somehow i dont think the timber floor joists from the room above will cope

jacko

posted on 28/3/17 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

have a look and dream

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Built-in washroom or Portapotti - always p*sses me off having to go indoors...
If more than one front access door make it two up & overs not one single humungous one - quickest way of draining heat in winter.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

gremlin1234

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
nowadays internet access seems a good idea too. wired or wireless ;-)
JMW

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
while I agree on the lighting, ensure it does not 'strobe' at mains frequency, (some led lighting unfortunately does)
reason: it can make moving things like bench grinders and drill press look as though they are moving really slowly or even appear stationary.

I've heard that said about traditional flourescents, but I never experienced it.

trextr7monkey

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of heavy duty retractable power reels as well as retractable airline situated near door
I have a load of 6' tubes but sparky at work is putting LED tubes into old fittings after removing starter and transformer they are really good.
My garage is under the house so vibration and noise is an issue I'm toying with idea of putting compressor outside in a lean to . Decent hoover and something warm to lie on when working underneath car.
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.