Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Go Pro cheap alternative
cliftyhanger

posted on 14/10/17 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Go Pro cheap alternative

I have a history of buying stuff and not using it!
To that end I am thinking of a go-pro type of camera, to stick on the car sometimes. I doubt it will get used a lot, and if very much for fun. Therefore, can anybody suggest anything in particular. Seem them from £10ish for a copy, and (hopefully) genuine SJC type for £40 and up on fleabay, will only buy from UK as it needs to be here in a week....

Are the £10 type OK, or are the £40 type really worth 4x the price? Forget any more than that!

Cheers
Clive

zx12r dug

posted on 14/10/17 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
EBay sj4000 a friend at work says his is great.I plan on getting one myself for next summer driving
mark chandler

posted on 14/10/17 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've had an SJ6000, the posh one with WIFI for a couple of years, it's very good.

Forgot WIFI, it kills the battery when active.

loggyboy

posted on 14/10/17 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I like to use Gearbest for cheap chinese stuff.
This was taken on a ele 4k camera (albeit in 1080 as 4k frame rate is v low.)

gearbest link

https://youtu.be/Dpz-5pu-dWw

Mistral Motorsport

gremlin1234

posted on 14/10/17 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
you can do worse than re-purposing an old android smartphone
plenty of apps that will do video, gps, and even read various parameters from modern cars obd (speed, revs etc.)

40inches

posted on 14/10/17 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
SJ4000 is very good quality for £40
The quality is far better than this YouTube offering

[Edited on 14-10-17 by 40inches]

theconrodkid

posted on 14/10/17 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
"techmoan" onyou tube....alll you want / need to know

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 14/10/17 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
"techmoan" onyou tube....alll you want / need to know

Wot he said^^^^^

BenB

posted on 14/10/17 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
SJ4000 is what I use. A bit funny re white balance sometimes - you have to set it on a slightly strange WB setting to get it to look right but it does the job. I recently upgraded to a Isaw Edge because it has better res and goes to 40m (so I can use it for scuba). It also has Wifi but it is not realistically that useful- bit of fun really. For transferring data cards full you have to pop out the card (battery would be dead long before a cardsworth has transferred).
steve m

posted on 14/10/17 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use an Sj 4000 , as well, and all of my footage seems to be excellent, however the sound is marginly dispaleced with the picture

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/10/17 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
OK, in the end I have plumped for an Acme vr04 (whatever that really means, as far as I was aware Acme made all the stuff that wylie coyote used to attempt to catch roadrunner)

A couple of reasons. Mainly I am being cheap and don't want to fork out £40+at this stage, the acme is £18. And I know at that price level there are loads of the sj4000 copies, but reviews are either "variable" or appear fake. The Acme is a slightly older and less feature packed camera, but seems that it should have some fort of reliability. And Youtube reviews seem encouraging. Doesn't need to be fantastic quality, it is just for fun and may only get used a few times...

But I like that Techmoan link!

Thanks for all your replies.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 15/10/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Barrow hill if I am not mistaken

SJ

posted on 15/10/17 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an original gopro which is rubbish and a much newer Chinese one which is miles better. Mine cost about £20 from Ali Express
40inches

posted on 15/10/17 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Barrow hill if I am not mistaken

Correct Clock Tower Business centre.

Shiggins92

posted on 15/10/17 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an sj4000 cam only used twice in brand new condition for £45 delivered if you're interested? Message me
nick205

posted on 16/10/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Bought my 9 yr old son a £40 unit off eBay. Has WiFi, comes with a waterproof case and various attachments (fitted to his cycle helmet).

Works really well and for his age group I wasn't going to spend any more money then that.

Not used it in a car, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't work for that.

U2U me and I'll check the make/model for you tonight.

Cheers
Nick

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 16/10/17 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I've got an original gopro which is rubbish and a much newer Chinese one which is miles better. Mine cost about £20 from Ali Express

Interesting, as I used to have a GoPro Hero 3 (purchased in America, where is was less in $ than retailed for £ in the UK). It's been on scuba trips, sailing boats, motorcycle, 4x4 etc., and never failed me in the slightest. That got stolen on holiday few years back, so invested in a Hero 4 shortly after, and think it's still a brilliant bit of kit. As with all of them, useful to have a couple of spare batteries as it can go through them quite quickly. I begrudge paying full whack for the latest model they release every year, but am yet to be convinced on the cheaper copies/alternatives.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

SJ

posted on 16/10/17 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ

Interesting, as I used to have a GoPro Hero 3 (purchased in America, where is was less in $ than retailed for £ in the UK). It's been on scuba trips, sailing boats, motorcycle, 4x4 etc., and never failed me in the slightest. That got stolen on holiday few years back, so invested in a Hero 4 shortly after, and think it's still a brilliant bit of kit. As with all of them, useful to have a couple of spare batteries as it can go through them quite quickly. I begrudge paying full whack for the latest model they release every year, but am yet to be convinced on the cheaper copies/alternatives.

Maybe I'm being harsh as it is older tech than the Chinese one and I was initially referring to the video quality and the battery life. However the quality of the Gopro is also poor. The body of the camea [not the waterproof case] has started to crack and it has only been used a handful of times. It will probably go in the bin as it isn't really in a fit state to put on ebay

My Chinese one has been on boats and in the sea and hasn't missed a beat. Also the re-chargeable battery life is great.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.