Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Reverse
chrisbmxr

posted on 2/7/18 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Electric Reverse

I currently have an MK Indy (Fireblade 919cc) which has an Elite racing reverse gearbox fitted, which I hate!!! So I'm looking to switch it to an electric reverse system. I'm looking for any advice from anyone who has already done this!

Are the kits MK provide any good? http://www.mksportscars.com/electric-reverse-kit-1118.html Are there alternatives?

I think I'll need to get the mounts welded on to my chassis ... anyone know where I can get these from (the threaded mount bits)?

Also, I'll be needing a new prop so any recommendations on suppliers would be great!

Thanks!!!

CosKev3

posted on 2/7/18 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn't bother if I was in your situation.

The electric reverse will only move the car on the flat,or very slight inclines,and that's if you have a full size car battery fitted?

If you have a bike battery or a lightweight race one it will be worse than useless!

As you say you've got to weld in mounts, which could include removing brake and fuel pipes down the tunnel to start with.
Then you've got the issue of getting the mounts welded in exactly in the right place for alignment to the gear on the diff.
Easily done on using a jig when the chassis is being built!

CosKev3

posted on 2/7/18 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah and Bailey Morris for your propshaft
chrisbmxr

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
You mean you just wouldn't bother having a reverse? It has crossed my mind.

Thanks for the prop recommendation. I take it I will need a full new prop? Is it not possible to use some sort of small prop 'extension' to replace the reverse box?

Thanks again.

CosKev3

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I meant don't bother with a reverse at all if you don't like the reverse gearbox currently fitted!
Perhaps it just needs a service?
What's the issues with it?

Yeah you will need a new propshaft in full,a two piece one with a centre mount.

Actually you will need to check that you have the mountings on your chassis to mount a propshaft without the reverse gearbox being in place, as it's a kit car it could have been modified to allow the reverse box to be mounted.

Bunje

posted on 3/7/18 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
theres a bike propshaft on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Locost-Kit-Car-Megabusa-Westfield-Motorbike-Full-Prop-shaft/173382405484?hash=item285e658d6c:g:vl8AAOSwQKlbIMNU

nothing to do with me though just noticed it when i was browsing

[Edited on 3/7/18 by Bunje]

INDY BIRD

posted on 3/7/18 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
New ones available here

http://www.mksportscars.com/propshaft-for-bike-engine-cars.html?SID=nho4o33ufksiio76prvhn0j7k1

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.