Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine transplant
richwill

posted on 23/7/18 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Engine transplant

I am forward planning my winter upgrades. I currently have a Pinto in my Velocity and it needs the clutch replacing. I have a 4AGE 20v in a project I have yet to complete. My thoughts are to remove the pinto and replace it with the 4AGE and then complete the project using the pinto after the new clutch is fitted.
My question is how do I inform DVLA of the change of engines?

SJ

posted on 23/7/18 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
They just need to know the capacity and engine number. From my experience they will insist on an 'engineers' letter / other evidence to process the changes. That could be from a garage / other appropriate person if you know someone who could do it for you.
gremlin1234

posted on 23/7/18 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
They just need to know the capacity and engine number. From my experience they will insist on an 'engineers' letter / other evidence to process the changes. That could be from a garage / other appropriate person if you know someone who could do it for you.
its usually quite easy, but may be more stringent if the engine swap would mean a lower VED (Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax))

miskit

posted on 23/7/18 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
For my Sandrail VW 1600 --> MX5 1.8 swap I sent them the V5 of the Sandrail and the V5 of the MX5 with a letter saying swapped and MX5 disposed of. Got the Sandrail V5 back suitably changed in about a month. The MX5 is still listed as SORN but they kept the V5.

Official version is here
https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/how-to-tell-dvla
[Edited on 23/7/18 by miskit]

SJ

posted on 24/7/18 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
its usually quite easy, but may be more stringent if the engine swap would mean a lower VED (Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax))

That's what I though when I upgraded to a 2.0 from 1.8, but the DVLA didn't see it like that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.