Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 on bike carbs, first power run.
Nickp

posted on 9/2/19 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
ST170 on bike carbs, first power run.

Just had the Quantum for a power run and to check for safe fueling at Autotronix Developments near Sheffield.
No adjustments made and straight out of the box it's making 178.6bhp @ 6548rpm and 164lb/ft @4609.
Happy with that from a £100 ST170 engine on ZX6R bike carbs.
Fueling was safe but a tad lean at the top end so gonna go with new 2.15mm mains (currently at 2.1mm drilled).
Should make 180+bhp with a few tweaks. Plenty for an 800kg fwd car with no LSD

SJ

posted on 9/2/19 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nice! I've been delighted with the zx6 carbs on my blacktop.

Stu

Nickp

posted on 9/2/19 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Nice! I've been delighted with the zx6 carbs on my blacktop.

Stu

Yep, mine are smooth as

Barksavon

posted on 10/2/19 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Good effort, well done, gives me something to aim for with my ST170 transplant. Have you retained the VVT?
Nickp

posted on 10/2/19 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Good effort, well done, gives me something to aim for with my ST170 transplant. Have you retained the VVT?

Yeah, picked up a 2nd hand VVTPRO, seems to work well

Daf

posted on 11/2/19 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
That's a damn good figure that is, I too managed 178 from mine although I'm on TBs not carbs
Nickp

posted on 11/2/19 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
That's a damn good figure that is, I too managed 178 from mine although I'm on TBs not carbs

Yeah I think it's bang on the money. The carbs are only 37mm IIRC but seem to work really well, and only cost me £40. The power and torque curves are really smooth. I'd post them up but can't seem to load pics onto here these days

Oddified

posted on 11/2/19 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Very good, great power/torque for minimal outlay.

Kind of puts tuning something like an old pinto into perspective with people spending a lot more money than that tuning them and not getting those results...

Ian

Nickp

posted on 11/2/19 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Very good, great power/torque for minimal outlay.

Kind of puts tuning something like an old pinto into perspective with people spending a lot more money than that tuning them and not getting those results...

Ian

Cheers mate, it's been another learning curve. First Ford, first bike carbs and first VVT controller. A bit of an odd combination, but it works and I'm pleased with the results

Andrewm

posted on 28/4/19 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just considering an ST170 motor for my Locost- currently running a 1300 xflow on twin 40s in hillclimbs but need more power. This seems like an appropriate post to hi-jack, so does anyone have any experience of the ST170 on twin 40s?
Nickp

posted on 29/4/19 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrewm
Just considering an ST170 motor for my Locost- currently running a 1300 xflow on twin 40s in hillclimbs but need more power. This seems like an appropriate post to hi-jack, so does anyone have any experience of the ST170 on twin 40s?

Why go to twin 40's when you can get great results with very cheap bike carbs? I paid £40 for my ZX6R ones and used the existing part of the inlet manifold that bolts to the head. Main jets drilled out to 2.15mm and it made a very smooth and tractable 178bhp Don't even consider locking the VVT or switching it, get a proper VVT controller otherwise you're not using the engines full potential.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.