FEZ1025

posted on 17/6/19 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Did anyone go?
Was it any good?

Only report I heard was no, it wasn't very good, from another forum

quote:
I made it to Kitfest at Santa Pod on Saturday and there wasn’t much to see. When asking about tickets at the gate the lady didn’t even know it was on and was only aware of the Retro meet on the Sunday and it was run what you brung on the Saturday. Mainly Cateram style kits but lots of drag bikes and cars that were wanting to test themselves on the strip so not an entirely wasted journey. (Won’t be doing it again though)

Bbut wrong venue for me, Santa Pod is a sh**hole with very poor facilities, it would have been better a race track if it was an action event, but I suppose it was the cost.

CosKev3

posted on 17/6/19 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
It was good enough for a day out,think the weather in the week leading upto it put alot of people off.

What facilities are so poor at the Pod?

Loads of food/drinks Van's and plenty of toilets,what else do you need?

Kitfest and the Retro show were Sunday only officially, saturday was RWYB.

davspeed

posted on 17/6/19 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed the weekend and as Kev said the weather leading up almost put me off too.
When I got there on Friday afternoon I expected a mud bath but surprisingly the camping site was quite firm and I had no problem with my campervan and trailer on the grass.

I looked forward to testing my car on the strip which unfortunately due to the weather I only got one run.
That rather put a dampener on it for me but on reflection the day after if it happens again next year i will be going.

Spent four hours here waiting for a run but really can't critcise kitfest for the weather

2019061 6_101314 by david.vangils, on Flickr

FEZ1025

posted on 17/6/19 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3What facilities are so poor at the Pod?
I'll be honest it's a couple of years since I was there but it appeared to stuck in the 50's there was no facilities at all on the campsite which was like a mudfest, on that occasion it was in a field well past the end of the strip, there was 1 toilet block near the end of the strip & all the food was at the start.

big_wasa

posted on 17/6/19 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
The weather makes or breaks a do like this and the weather nailed it this year. I set off but run into three showers before I got there so turned around.

A question for David as you have run the strip, what arm restraints do you need in a 7 to run please ?

CosKev3

posted on 17/6/19 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davspeed
I enjoyed the weekend and as Kev said the weather leading up almost put me off too.
When I got there on Friday afternoon I expected a mud bath but surprisingly the camping site was quite firm and I had no problem with my campervan and trailer on the grass.

I looked forward to testing my car on the strip which unfortunately due to the weather I only got one run.
That rather put a dampener on it for me but on reflection the day after if it happens again next year i will be going.

Spent four hours here waiting for a run but really can't critcise kitfest for the weather

Sounded well your car

Judging by the bonnet you've got a modern 8 injector bike engine in it?
Cbr1000rr?

CosKev3

posted on 17/6/19 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
quote:
I'll be honest it's a couple of years since I was there but it appeared to stuck in the 50's there was no facilities at all on the campsite which was like a mudfest, on that occasion it was in a field well past the end of the strip, there was 1 toilet block near the end of the strip & all the food was at the start.

Camping is camping!
If you want a toilet on your doorstep book a hotel!
First toilet block I came too was down where they store the scrap cars for the monster trucks,so just about level with the end of the 1/4 mile.
Then there was another block by the start,so I would say two blocks within 1/4 mile of the tents is more than adequate.
Might have been updated since you've been.

FEZ1025

posted on 17/6/19 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3If you want a toilet on your doorstep book a hotel!
The last time we went we did, if I've have thought about ti more I would have again, The Hind just up the road is great & there are pretty of cheap food places, maybe it's my age but sleeping in mud & being filthy & wet all day is a young man's sport.

davspeed

posted on 17/6/19 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FEZ1025
quote:

We were on the bit to the right as you come in just before the turn parallel to the track opposite the finish line, there was a decent clean toilet block that looks quite new near the slope up to the track but showers were over the other side near the cafe.

While not up to caravan club standards they were better than some race track I have been to and I did sort of know what to expect.

The only problem I had being an old git was late night noise but I solved that problem by going to the bar to watch the band and having several pints of guinness Oh and no tent I now have a T5 campervan I'm not daft.

[Edited on 17/6/19 by davspeed]

davspeed

posted on 17/6/19 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by davspeed

Sounded well your car

Judging by the bonnet you've got a modern 8 injector bike engine in it?
Cbr1000rr?

Thanks I completely buggered up my start as normally just give it a bit of throttle around 5k then when it bites floor it and it takes off, but of course the strip is so sticky it just bogged down had to dip the clutch and start again.

Yes it is a cbr1000rr 07 year, the top injectors were a problem as although some do use the original air box a striker is so small it looked like one of those supercharged gassers with it on. I got round it by getting a Reverie carbon px600 shape airbox and putting them in that along with some ex BSB shorter belmouths .

20180927 _152409 by david.vangils, on Flickr

pmc_3

posted on 17/6/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I went along yesterday, plenty of cars for the Retro show but hardly any kits. In the one spot the kits were parking there were around 30 and then a few on the RYWB queue. A bit disappointed with the lack of cars and trade stands.
davspeed

posted on 17/6/19 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
The weather makes or breaks a do like this and the weather nailed it this year. I set off but run into three showers before I got there so turned around.

A question for David as you have run the strip, what arm restraints do you need in a 7 to run please ?

I and most others used these from ebay, I remember about 20 years ago up at York drag strip we baler twine or similar doubt it wold be ok now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STR-Arm-Restraints-Autograss-NASA-Compliant-Racing-Oval-F2-SFI-Approved-/382491865443?var=&hash=item590e4ab163

big_wasa

posted on 17/6/19 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I didn’t think a ratchet strap would do
andy188

posted on 18/6/19 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
talking with Trevor late sunday, Saturday was the better day for running down the strip, handed out 90 tickets for parking by the strip, only 30 sunday, we where in the que too sunday, weather was not good, lots of standing around getting wet, we all had our run up the strip, didn't try again, strange feeling running up a rubber strip, we will go again next year, they are planning to run it again from the feedback they have had.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.