Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poly bushing a tin top ?
steve m

posted on 25/9/19 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Poly bushing a tin top ?

Hi all

After the demise of my Locost, I am in the market for an XK8/XKR, and it seems EVERY one ive viewed or looked at the
Mot history, mentions bushes wearing out or severly perished,
My question is, (and they do sell the kits) if I was to poly bush the whole car, yes a lot of work, but done in stages
will I lose the extreme comfort of an xk8/xkr, and make it more of a racer, if so that's not my intention
as I would like to keep the comfort

any thoughts

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 25/9/19 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Before you buy one have a very good look around the rear of the sills , plastic cover hides a lot of faults
steve m

posted on 25/9/19 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, and yes, I know about the rust !!
Infact, when looking at any car, I check the mot history first online, and if "rust or corrosion" pop up, I move to the next car

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Schrodinger

posted on 25/9/19 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Hi all

After the demise of my Locost, I am in the market for an XK8/XKR, and it seems EVERY one ive viewed or looked at the
Mot history, mentions bushes wearing out or severly perished,
My question is, (and they do sell the kits) if I was to poly bush the whole car, yes a lot of work, but done in stages
will I lose the extreme comfort of an xk8/xkr, and make it more of a racer, if so that's not my intention
as I would like to keep the comfort

any thoughts

steve

ISTR that you can get the bushes in different grades the softer to replace the OEM with a similar softness.

Keith
Aviemore

mark chandler

posted on 25/9/19 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had one, poly bushed the front end which tightened it up nicely, but then replacing with OEM rubber would probably have the same result.

Poly adds more noise, you get different grades so a softer set will not hurt general feel and they are pretty quiet anyway.

Rust, they go badly make sure the front subframe is good as the upper pivot hole elongates - was lucky and mine got a bit loose and I was able to save it.

Lovely cars

steve m

posted on 26/9/19 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark

I know about the rust, and pivots, and as I said in my first post, I check the mot history first, and any mention of
rust or corrosion, I move on, bushes etc I can live with, but rust is a no no
A couple of dealers ive contacted, who have there own plates on the car, have not emailed me back with the reg no
so I presume they already know, the car has a rust problem

steve

RichardB123

posted on 26/9/19 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Rust can be repaired, just needs to be reflected in the price.

Polybushing will add value to the car, whereas new OE bushes wont.

snapper

posted on 27/9/19 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardB123
Rust can be repaired, just needs to be reflected in the price.

Polybushing will add value to the car, whereas new OE bushes wont.

I would question Poly bushes adding value, most buyers would not be aware of poly bushes and would not like the extra stiffness. OEM or Sgt poky bushes would give the same feel so depends on the cost.

Engine mount on my Fiesta ST150 was £256, Vibra technics £120 delivered but boy is it noisy, I’ve added lowered springs, suspension now more crash than before, Scorpion exhaust (non resonating) to bloody loud and a vibratecnics engine mount, a second hand engine, a gearbox and 2 clutches, several lower suspension arms, new anti rollbar bushes, 2 driveshafts and grooved front discs, it’s now worth less than I paid for it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

CosKev3

posted on 27/9/19 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've used PSB bushes on my Golf front end,the tightening up outweighs the extra,tiny bit of harshness imo.
pewe

posted on 23/10/19 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
On MX5Nutz there's a guy called haylingjag.
Darren and his missus have owned/tracked more Jags than I've had hot dinners so I'll be surprised if he can't give you chapter and verse.
See if you can contact him via that site and if not come back to me and I may be able to dig out contact details.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.