Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horn Paperwork
the_big_1

posted on 15/10/19 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Horn Paperwork

Hi Guys,

Have you ever been asked for paperwork for the horn fitted during the IVA?
The IVA manual states "The horn must perform to an equivalent level of an EC Type Approved vehicle"
What is the level???

Angel Acevedo

posted on 15/10/19 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Hi Guys,

Have you ever been asked for paperwork for the horn fitted during the IVA?
The IVA manual states "The horn must perform to an equivalent level of an EC Type Approved vehicle"
What is the level???

Here in Mexico there´s a dB level that must be met and a level not to be exceeded.
You should have something like that...
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_big_1

posted on 15/10/19 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
That's the bit I can not find
loggyboy

posted on 15/10/19 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be concerned as long as it sounds like a car horn you'd get on a factory car.
russbost

posted on 15/10/19 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
As loogyboy says, they don't measure it, they just listen to see if it could reasonably expect to be heard. I use a motorcycle horn, small & lightweight, but pretty feeble for noise output, never had a query about it at IVA

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 15/10/19 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
SVA not IVA for me, but on my MK Indy I re-used the Sierra horn without issue.
coyoteboy

posted on 15/10/19 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't believe there's a legal requirement on horns in the UK - though the MOT and IVA are not the same thing, and as a manufacturer you need to present different info, the MOT seems to just expect he horn to be present and working, and the last time I looked the laws stated it can't be "too strident". Go figure.

Slater

posted on 15/10/19 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a very loud Nautilus car horn, something like 139 Db, every time I take it for an MOT I have to drive it onto the ramp and operate the lights etc as the old tester guy can't get in or out of the car. When it comes to testing the horn I give it a good blast, every mechanic in the whole place sh1ts themselves. Happens every year, great fun..... passed SVA too.

Linker

[Edited on 15-10-19 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

adithorp

posted on 16/10/19 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Never heard of any paperwork being needed for the horn. Just checked it works as far as I know.

It was one of the things missing from SVA requirements and added when IVA came in.

Nautilus on mine as well. Very loud and possibly questionable for test for that reason but it does what you want a horn to do.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

the_big_1

posted on 16/10/19 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah its a strange one. For machines we build here that go on road, when it goes to EU countries, we have to supply documents to show the approvals for the horn.
We show the test report that it operates 105 - 118 dB at a frequency of 400 +- 20 Hz. But that's a country request, the UK one states "EC Type Approved vehicle" but doesn't state what that is so its subjective. Looks like any reasonable horn is fine lol

coyoteboy

posted on 16/10/19 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
I fitted a very loud Nautilus car horn, something like 139 Db, every time I take it for an MOT I have to drive it onto the ramp and operate the lights etc as the old tester guy can't get in or out of the car. When it comes to testing the horn I give it a good blast, every mechanic in the whole place sh1ts themselves. Happens every year, great fun..... passed SVA too.

[Edited on 15-10-19 by Slater]

"Overly strident"

After the 3rd time someone tried to drive into my 4x4 despite it being lit up like a christmas tree, I fitted a triple horn setup and compressor, but I have it on a switchover to a normal horn so the MOT guy doesn't die.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.