Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: beware buying cars/motorcycles on ebay
02GF74

posted on 6/12/19 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
beware buying cars/motorcycles on ebay

Ok, I am sure none of you will fall for this but here's a warning.

Whilst searching for a motorcycle on ebay, I've come across listings that are very low priced and when looking deeper, in particular at the seller others items, there are many, typically 2,000, rare and desirable vehicles listed at very low prices but here is the real giveaway that the account is hacked - ALL OF THEM ARE PHOTOGRAPHED AT DIFFERENT LOCATIONS.

I am, not sure how this is achieved, the criminals must be using some automated program to be able to list so many items in very little time.

I have reported to ebay 4 such sets of listing yet they are quite slow to take them down.

Obviously, if it is too good to be true etc..

for example: seller pete5687

JonBowden

posted on 6/12/19 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen quite a few like this too.
Usually, I am looking for Lotus cars and find cars that I have seen for sale before but this time at low prices.
commonly you are expected to use an email address in the description.
As you suggest, it is a good idea to report as many as you can.

Jon

T66

posted on 6/12/19 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
You can chat online with ebay, I reported a twat recently with about 25 pages of classics, bikes, motorhomes. Ebay removed it immediately.
rf900rush

posted on 6/12/19 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have reported at least three times on this.

I do not get why Ebay authorities can not sort it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/12/19 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just reported a Formula Ford that the scammwr was selling. The giveaway on Alot of them is that they use 0 instead of O in the titles.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 7/12/19 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
... And today they are listed by Ebay seller; tyson20191

Number of items is similar, nearly 2,000, what is interesting is that prices are nearly in sequence and differ by £1.

Start from £2,100 to £5,400 with a number of template listings at £1 with title vcdccXC

Worldstamps4u was another hijacked account.

The scanner must have some automated way of prelisting items, hijacks an account and runs the program.

Contacting eBay each time is a hard work trying to explain the situation then get passed to the fraud team to explain it again.

It should be possible to detect this type of mass listing, in this case it appears to be the same items.

[Edited on 7/12/19 by 02GF74]

ragindave

posted on 7/12/19 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just click report this item Fraudulent listing activities you don't have to contact them direct.
T66

posted on 7/12/19 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have just reported another twat selling scams

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/avoiding-seller-fraud?id=4024#contactWay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/tyson20191/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

r1_pete

posted on 9/12/19 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Probably a similar scam to the one where the car is at one end of the country, seller at the other, and needs a refundable deposit to transport the car for viewing... the last you see of deposit or seller.

I see this one had a photo of a mail address to email, so trying to hook you in outside of ebay...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 9/12/19 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Probably a similar scam to the one where the car is at one end of the country, seller at the other, and needs a refundable deposit to transport the car for viewing... the last you see of deposit or seller.

I see this one had a photo of a mail address to email, so trying to hook you in outside of ebay...

Unfortunately even through eBay, some people still fall for the "please pay a deposit by PayPal or bank transfer" - neither of which are reclaimable by the buyer when the deal goes South. PayPal, to the best of my knowledge, have never offered buyer protection on vehicles which a lot of people fail to realise.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Abe

posted on 13/12/19 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I’ve been reporting these ads for years. As soon as you see a ridiculously low priced vehicle you know for sure there’s going to be multiple cars on the same account. Apparently overseas hackers, hack UK eBay accounts to do this, as I often wondered why someone with really good feedback would suddenly decide to list 100 scam cars.
fregis

posted on 14/12/19 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
it is going not only for moto or cars, also other things.
if see bargain price >> copy listing name>> search in sold items or etc, and almoust 99% times find same thing 2x or 3x price sold from legit user.

Never be afraid to do what you are insolvent, remember: amateurs built the ark - Professionals built the Titanic.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.