Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Recomendation
mcg

posted on 19/6/20 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Battery Recomendation

Following this thread Battery Charging Issue I think I need to replace my battery, and are looking for recommendations on what to get and how best to maintain it when it is only used a few times per year.

- Currently have Odyssey Extreme Racing 25 / PC680. This is my second one, and it seems my extreme intermittent use is not working well with it. The small size however fits perfectly in my car.

- Engine is a C20XE with standard injection.

So, what should I get, and how best should I maintain it when 99% of the time the car isn't used?

Any help would be great as always.

Many thanks

Matt

rusty nuts

posted on 19/6/20 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Why don’t you see what Odyssey recommends
britishtrident

posted on 19/6/20 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
These are really good smart chargers. Battery recovery and smart maintainance charging on all types of battery.
Unlike a lot of smart chargers they automatically resume using the settings after the mains power goes down.

Maypole 7423A Smart Charger

[Edited on 19/6/20 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 19/6/20 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

russbost

posted on 19/6/20 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Li ion don't suffer degradation without charge for long periods & should way outlast lead acid

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cosmicicecreamman

posted on 19/6/20 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I use a powerlite PS 09 in my race car. It can struggle to start from cold, I use a starter pack, but once the engine is up to temp it's fine to start.

https://www.powerlite-units.com/power/ps-09.html

My friend uses the PS 20 in his Caterham and M3 which is more than capable.

watsonpj

posted on 19/6/20 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Li ion battery and I would not go back, the car has been sitting for a few years and over wintering and then gets the occasional start so not an ideal way to operator.
I just press the button to see the charge level if its 2 or 3 i'll do a start but if its at 1 I'll recharge but to be honest it seems to hold charge extremely well so i have only needed to charge after months worth of me ignoring it.
My previous battery was 5.5kg the current one is 0.9kg and about 60% of the size, they actually supply plastic feet to make it fit in the same postions/clamps.

Pete

mcg

posted on 19/6/20 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
I have a Li ion battery and I would not go back, the car has been sitting for a few years and over wintering and then gets the occasional start so not an ideal way to operator.
I just press the button to see the charge level if its 2 or 3 i'll do a start but if its at 1 I'll recharge but to be honest it seems to hold charge extremely well so i have only needed to charge after months worth of me ignoring it.
My previous battery was 5.5kg the current one is 0.9kg and about 60% of the size, they actually supply plastic feet to make it fit in the same postions/clamps.

Pete

Excellent. Which Li Ion do you have?

number-1

posted on 20/6/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Im having the same issue with the same battery! Its less than a year old.

Ill await the Li Ion recommendations and get one and return the PC680 to eurocarparts

Paul M

posted on 21/6/20 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've just bought an Extreme 600 - 3 yr guarantee. - same size/spec as an Odyssey 680 and just under half the price - slow delivery
-took just under a week to get here but they advertise it as free next day delivery

https://www.batterybayuk.co.uk/leoch-xtreme-xr-600-228-p.asp

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

mcg

posted on 22/6/20 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul M
I've just bought an Extreme 600 - 3 yr guarantee. - same size/spec as an Odyssey 680 and just under half the price - slow delivery
-took just under a week to get here but they advertise it as free next day delivery

https://www.batterybayuk.co.uk/leoch-xtreme-xr-600-228-p.asp

Excellent - thanks for the recommendation. Very decent value.

SJ

posted on 22/6/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought one of these as well. Seems good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.