Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to restore old tools
steve m

posted on 30/12/20 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
How to restore old tools

I dont know how i got to this, but have to say, i was impressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXZFXVNh48

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

perksy

posted on 30/12/20 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Very pretty but over 30hrs restoring a ratchet

They must have plenty of spare time and would anyone want to use it afterwards?
Suppose it could be mounted on a piece of Mahogany for a retirement present or similar

steve m

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you liked it,

It is a bit marmite, but i thought it was very cool

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

obfripper

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
The my mechanics channel is in a similar vein, but more about restoring functionality with a side of pristine craftmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrMVIBtqFW6O0-MWq26gqw

Dave

ianhurley20

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant - but pointless - restoration. Very well executed and well put together video - but - get the tool fixed = 1 hour, restore to this incredible level = over 30 but I guess a lot more, hmm, at £25/hour that would cost £750? I would go for the 1 hour fix. Excellent video though and very entertaining

steve m

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
You are so right Ian, but as i dont watch TV, much (shyte) this is my entertainment on Youtube, and i get lost in some incredible things

steve

ianhurley20

posted on 30/12/20 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
You are so right Ian, but as i dont watch TV, much (shyte) this is my entertainment on Youtube, and i get lost in some incredible things

steve

Thanks for posting the link Steve - I had an enjoyable time watching it , I do watch TV but when the boss goes to bed I can have an hour or so watching You Tube entertainment like yourself, maybe occasionally more than an hour - although I will deny that the following day !

adithorp

posted on 30/12/20 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Brilliant - but pointless - restoration. Very well executed and well put together video - but - get the tool fixed = 1 hour, restore to this incredible level = over 30 but I guess a lot more, hmm, at £25/hour that would cost £750? I would go for the 1 hour fix. Excellent video though and very entertaining

About as daft as building a car

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Simon

posted on 31/12/20 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

steve

Agree with that!

nick205

posted on 1/1/21 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
The video is well made and the person has quite some commitment to their cause.

I do ask why though?

Seems you'd end up with a display item rather than a tool for doing anything with. I'm all for respecting tools and keeping them clean and tidy, but there's a limit!

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/1/21 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find with these kinds of YouTube channels the creator is now paid enough from YouTube, patrons and sponsors that this is their main income. So is spending 30 hours rebuilding an old tool plus all the hours editing worth it? Totally when you make your living from your videos.

Personally I liked it more before it was "restored" and would have just wire brushed it and removed the slop. But that would have been a bit boring.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.