Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: toyota mr2 - your thoughts please
john_p_b

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
toyota mr2 - your thoughts please

got the chance of a toyota mk2 mr2 t-bar g-limited at what seems to be a reasonable price but want a 2nd opinion really and some input from anyone in the know with these cars.....

it's a 1991 import. half leather, alloys, exhaust you could live in, the usual jap bling really....90 something thousand miles on the clock.

now the catch is it's knocking like a bitch from the bottom end but doesn't sound like a normal bottom end knock if that makes any sense? however there is a decent spare engine included in the sale so would just mean me spending a day fitting the engine and we're off.

the bloke wants around £500 for it...apparently the spare engine cost £400 quid then he lost the will to carry on with it. it's not a minter and i wouldn't expect it for that money but am i stepping on a minefield here or could i be on to something? i'm almost tempted to have it as a winter project then knock it back out start of next summer and maybe make a few quid in the process? failing that then i'd maybe have a shuffle around with the cars i have now and replace one of them (without a doubt the laguna!)

your thoughts and opinions very welcome.

[Edited on 5/7/08 by john_p_b]

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

afj

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
sounds cheap ish as long as the spare engine is good. track day it
Danozeman

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is the engine an import engine?? ISTR there are slight differences?

For 500 quite its probably worth that in parts if the bodyworks reasonable.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

UncleFista

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Try sending Zilspeed a U2U, I "think" he was in a similar position as you a short while ago, a knackered MR2 engine that needed replacing.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

nludkin

posted on 5/7/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Does the non-turbo also have the heater / radiator in the front?

A common problem that I know exists on the turbo's is that the cooling pipes running under the car start to corrode and the coolant leaks, causing the head gasket to go quickly if the water leak is not spotted. It's a costly repair if you buy the shaped pipes from toyota, but an easy repair if you pop to B and Q.

Failing that fairly well known issue with them they are pretty much bulletproof.

I think it is well worth a punt for the money, but if it does have the cooling pipes running under the car (Check them thoroughly!). Also, being an import car main dealers are reluctant to touch them. So, you had either be prepared to do alot of the work yourself or get a decent independant garage on the job.

Fensport (www.fensport.co.uk) have a lot of import parts, etc to help with any repairs.

Peteff

posted on 5/7/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
My friend's daughter knocked the bottom end out of two import MR2 engines.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

martyn_16v

posted on 5/7/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Great cars to live with, I miss mine every time I have to spend an hour removing a rusty bolt, it was mint.

Engine change is likely to take a bit longer than a day, access is a bit tight. They're normally very reliable though, only problems are usually related to ancillaries and pretty easy to fix.

If I was offered it I'd do it without a seconds thought

locogeoff

posted on 5/7/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
at that price you should get your moneys worth.

An alternative to the 2.0l 4 pot is the 3.0l V6 out of the camry.

There are two problems with water hoses on the Mr2 Mk2 there is the hose from hell that only applies to the turbo models, and the pipe from hell on all models, since you are taking the engine out that would be the time to fix this as it's a walk n the park, impossible with the engine in, I would recommend replacing the pipes with toyota parts as the design has changed to rubber mount the offending bracket to the pipe, alternatively you could effect a repair but only with the understanding that if it fails you will probably have to take the engine out to properly fix it.

I buy most of my bits from Toyota and pay a slight premium, I've put other parts on mine and ended up replacing them with genuine components, others would call be foolish.

I use my 92 G-Ltd as a daily driver and it's not let us down in 7 years which is not bad for a 16 ear old car, the car is used, 3-5K rpm on most journeys, but looked after.

tom_loughlin

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
they are cracking cars, i have had 3 - 2 n/a's and currently have a tubby - they are great little cars.
The earlier rev1's are supposed to be the hardest work of the lot, the suspension/brakes/chassis and engines were uprated for the later revisions.
90k for the engine seems very low mileage to be dead...it sounds to me as though it would have been seriously neglected at some point, because even the tubby engines are bullet proof.
if you are looking for a project at about that cost, then i reckon it wouldn't be a bad idea - especialy with a new engine (assuming the other lump is ok)
but just for the sake of it, i would think hard, as i know what i'l like at hoarding cars.
anyway, if you go for it, make sure you join the owners club - theres a lot of chavving about on it, but generally a knowledgable bunch.

All the best

Tom

RazMan

posted on 5/7/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought - for a little more money you could get a mint Toyota Soarer which, if you squint a bit, looks a little like a pumped up MR2. Bags of fun with twin turbos - and VERY cheap.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.