Board logo

Real 0-60 times
Mr Mackey - 23/4/14 at 08:04 PM

Hi all.been in a couple of mach#1s and was wondering what the 0-60 time is with the zx10 engine in?an owner I know says 3 seconds which I'm unsure of as it didn't feel that quick.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 23/4/14 at 08:11 PM

4.5secs or 5.0 secs

Mr Mackey - 23/4/14 at 08:13 PM

Really?so nowhere near 3 seconds then?

mark chandler - 23/4/14 at 08:14 PM

Around 4 seconds if it has slicks and LSD fitted, 3 sounds like beer talk.

daniel mason - 23/4/14 at 08:14 PM

3 seconds? was it turbo'd
depends on diff,wheel size,tyre,compound, weight of car,weight of driver, tarmac quality etc etc. there are many variables but I can safely say not 3 seconds.probably 4.5 - 5 secs in the real world!

Mr Mackey - 23/4/14 at 08:24 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and the honesty.when I went in the zx10 I wasn't impressed at all with the acceleration.it handled well and braking was good but I just couldn't believe the owners claims of being a 3 second car.he says that he "will waste Ferraris and lambos" which I just couldn't believe.

alfiebeard - 23/4/14 at 09:02 PM

When I got mine it had been data logged @ 3.6 secs 0.60mph I have tried and cant get it down below 4 secs as I cant change gear fast enough I keep hitting the rev limiter set @ 7800rpm lol, and mine has over 320 bhp and fairly low gearing.

but it still feels like its ripping your face off

Alfie

Mr Mackey - 23/4/14 at 09:04 PM

320bhp!!!!!! Wow is it turbocharged?

alfiebeard - 23/4/14 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mackey

No just an BMW E36 M3 EVO remapped and decatted .

Alfie

me! - 23/4/14 at 09:08 PM

quote:

I think he's running an M3 engine- no need for a turbo!

Mr Mackey - 23/4/14 at 09:09 PM

I see.will weigh a bit more than a bike engined mach#1 though right?

Jon Ison - 23/4/14 at 09:20 PM

quote:
Thanks for the quick replies and the honesty. he says that he "will waste Ferraris and lambos" which I just couldn't believe.

That part is actually factualy correct, a BEC will "waste" the majority of Ferraris for example are well over 4 seconds to 60.

jeffw - 23/4/14 at 09:45 PM

I can get down to 3.3-3.5 to 60 and under 7 secs to 100. But it isn't a BEC.

bi22le - 23/4/14 at 10:02 PM

The difference in a BEC with and without a passenger is unreal.

with my old car (GSXR1000 K4 so basically the same) I got fed up saying to mates "trust me, its a lot faster with just me!"

It would whack any supercar to 60.

alfiebeard - 23/4/14 at 10:30 PM

quote:
I see.will weigh a bit more than a bike engined mach#1 though right?

SAM_68 beat me too it.

Weight does play a big part, but as the BMW EVO weighs around 1.6 tons and will do 0.60 in around 5 secs and that's with a clutch delay valve fitted (slows the clutch action down to stop drivetrain damage) and according to the Beemer Forums will go on to 165mph in 5th gear with the speed limiter removed, so you can imagine how quick it feels in a lightweight Viento after being remapped and de-catted etc,.

it feels just the same acceleration with my 16 stone mate in the passenger seat, there is no substitute for raw power, I suppose there will be BEC that will be sub 4 secs to 60mph but will top out around 120mph my car has lower gearing than a standard M3 but as it doesn't have a speed limiter on it I bottled out at 140mph and it was still pulling like a steamtrain.

I did test drive a MK with a Fireblade engine fitted but it really didn't float my boat it needed hammered to produce good power, but its horses for courses I love bikes and my last thrilling ride was my old Hayabusa RY Trike which went like poo of a shovel but it used as much fuel if not more than my Viento.

Just my opinion which is worth F all.

Alfie

[Edited on 23/4/14 by alfiebeard]

Sam_68 - 23/4/14 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
That part is actually factualy correct, a BEC will "waste" the majority of Ferraris for example are well over 4 seconds to 60.

But then in reality (as opposed to when their owners are advertising them for sale, bragging down the pub or pissing up people's backs on internet forums), so are the majority of BECs.

...and where the Ferrari is just starting to get into its stride, the BEC will be taking bets on which it will hit first: the rev limiter or an aerodynamic brick wall.

A man can outsprint a horse for the first few yards from a standing start (true, honestly: it takes a horse a few moments to get all four legs sorted out and build up some momentum), and can easily out-corner a horse at any speed, but I'd recommend against entering yourself for the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

OP: I note that you say you've 'been in' a couple of MAC#1's? Does that means you've been passengered in them?

To be fair to BECs (and as Bi22le says), you need to remember that your extra 90 kilos (or whatever) in the passenger seat has a big effect on the power:weight ratio of such lightweight cars. If you drive them, you'll find that there's really quite a noticeable difference in both handling and acceleration when you've got a passenger beside you. They feel a bit like they've had six pints of beer and are the lookout for a kebab, when you've got that extra weight on board.

But still... even one-up, while they're quick away from the lights, the laws of physics (specifically those to do with aerodynamic drag) always mean that the acceleration of cars that have a high power:weight ratio because they don't have much weight tails off much sooner than cars that have a high power:weight ratio because they're very powerful.

rodgling - 23/4/14 at 11:14 PM

I can confirm that M3 powered 7's are very quick :-)

Jon Ison - 23/4/14 at 11:20 PM

Sam, the question was 0-60 not top speed, I'm not pissing up anyone's back either, in the pub or thinking of selling but thanks all the same.

IMHO for what it's worth most BECs on decent rubber should be able to attain nearer to 4 than 5 seconds to reach 60 especially if measured in the most favrable conditions possible as I'm sure Ferrari for example do, according to my digidash I can dip under 4 seconds consitantly on road legal but nicely warmed up 888's, never tried it on slicks value my drivetrain to much with all that BEC grunt it would ripp the back axle out

snapper - 24/4/14 at 06:19 AM

Torque not horsepower is the advantage in 0-60 0-100 games
and highlights the BEC CEC differences

mcerd1 - 24/4/14 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Torque not horsepower is the advantage in 0-60 0-100 games
and highlights the BEC CEC differences

but it is a balance of torque, grip and weight...

most BEC's don't have enough weight on the rear wheels to get the grip they need off the line

some of the 4x4 cars are better, but at the cost of a lot of extra weight which hurts them in the corners

and even if you find the perfect balance of those 3 the wrong gearing will add seconds to the time

and if you manage to get everything perfect for your 0-60 run, then your bound to have compromised on other aspects of the cars performance / handling..

this is now 12 years out of date but gives some interesting back to back results:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2716549/Gone-in-3.1-seconds.html

I say just go with the one you like best and don't worry about the headline figures

[Edited on 24/4/2014 by mcerd1]

amalyos - 24/4/14 at 08:38 AM

If you want to do 0-60, 0-100, get a drag car!!!

It's all about the corners

alfiebeard - 24/4/14 at 07:27 PM

Yeh and if you really want to do corners get a go Kart

Its all about power.

Alfie

[Edited on 24/4/14 by alfiebeard]

Mr Mackey - 27/4/14 at 07:52 AM

Thanks for all the replys.went out again in the zx10.still the acceleration felt tame.my friend has a 400 bhp impreza and even when the massive weight difference is seems much quicker.i must say through the twistys the zx10 was quick I'm still unsure which way to go.a mach#1 or something like impreza/Evo/gtr.

[Edited on 27/4/14 by Mr Mackey]

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 08:46 AM

The Scooby will be quicker off the line because it has 4WD and much better traction.

It will be much quicker in the upper speed ranges, because it has more outright power (as opposed to power:weight ratio), hence there will be more power left over for acceleration once you've subtracted the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. Aerodynamic drag goes up exponentially in proportion to speed, so this becomes very noticeable as speeds rise.

There may be a narrow band between the BEC establishing decent traction and the aero drag starting to absorb a high proportion of its available horsepower where the BEC might have an advantage.

But if kick-in-the-pants acceleration at decent (motorway/A-road) speeds is your thing, then the BEC's not going to do it for you: they're more about precise and inertia-free handling and carrying the momentum than monster top-end performance.

Sevens in general, and BEC's in particular, are very much a one-trick pony. Don't get me wrong; it's a good trick, but if it's not what you're after, then they're the wrong car for you.

franky - 27/4/14 at 10:21 AM

Sounds like you want a nicely built CEC.

Mr Mackey - 27/4/14 at 05:09 PM

I think I need to go in a cec as it's been a while since I've had the pleasure.the zx10 just didn't cut the mustard I'm afraid.if I'm spending my hard earned I need to be 100% happy and if I had the zx10 bec in be hiding from my mate in the Subaru

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 05:38 PM

ive had powerful imprezas and evos and non of them got off the line like my radical can! although I do run softer tyres,the performance is worlds apart.the radical is in a different league.

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 05:58 PM

quote:
I think I need to go in a cec...

You also probably:
a) Need to stop thinking in terms of 0-60 times. They don't even begin to tell the whole story.
b Consider 'full bodied' cars like the Sylva Phoenix and J15, or the Eclipse. Even with a decent car engine, the barn-door aerodynamics of a traditional 'Seven' start to take their toll on acceleration once you get over 60-70 mph.

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 06:12 PM

there was a 'brick shaped' westy at Aintree crossing the finishing line at over 140mph yesterday! not too shabby

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
there was a 'brick shaped' westy at Aintree crossing the finishing line at over 140mph yesterday! not too shabby

Yes, but with how much power?

Somewhat more than half a century ago, the car that the original Lotus Seven was based on (the Eleven, which had a properly streamlined bodyshell, of course) set a World Record averaging 140mph over 100 miles. Fastest lap (not peak speed, mark you... lap) was over 145mph.

It had an 1100cc SOHC, 8-valve engine with somewhere between 85bhp and 95bhp.

So much for progress?

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 07:31 PM

Just to add: I remembered that I actually did an empirical analysis of the comparative power requirements for a BEC vs. CEC Westfield SEi some time ago.

I've just dug out the spreadsheet and plugged in the relevant numbers. For comparison, it says that for a Westfield to achieve a peak speed similar to the (streamlined) circa 90bhp Eleven would take approximately 262bhp (assuming 15% transmission loss). So whatever was running at Aintree must have had comfortably more than that, to be capable of accelerating to 140mph in the relatively short distance.*

In other words, a properly streamlined bodyshell (well, properly by the standards of 1957!) could give an advantage equivalent to about 170bhp.

In BEC terms, that's a second engine's worth...

* edited to add:

Except that according to the results HERE, it was 134mph terminal speed, not 140mph (I assume it's John Hoyle's results you're talking about?). Due to the exponential nature of aero drag, it makes a big difference. 134mph would only absorb about 205bhp, again assuming 15% transmission loss. The calculated power requirements vs. the Eleven still hold, however.

[Edited on 27/4/14 by Sam_68]

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 07:52 PM

depends what bec you refer too?

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 08:05 PM

quote:
depends what bec you refer too?

One with about 170bhp. Obviously.

Pretty much equivalent to a Fireblade's worth of extra drag from the Seven's (absence of) aerodynamics, if you want to be specific!

jwhatley - 27/4/14 at 08:10 PM

Pervious owner of mine showed me a slip from some speed trial he had been to.

3.1 to 60, 6.6 to 100...

So I can't see a zx10 engined car doing it in 3.... Unless he has a silly diff ratio and can change gear like the wind!!

Mr Mackey - 27/4/14 at 08:11 PM

It does have a bike gearbox in I think.

jwhatley - 27/4/14 at 08:15 PM

So does mine, as will all other BEC's.

More likely to be 4-5 sec.

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 08:16 PM

wikipedia?

Mr Mackey - 27/4/14 at 08:16 PM

I'm glad all the owners on here have been honest.i knew it wasn't as quick as my mate was saying.

jwhatley - 27/4/14 at 08:19 PM

quote:
wikipedia?

What?

Mark Allanson - 27/4/14 at 08:20 PM

Like I said to a work colleague recently, the 0-60 times are totally irrelevant, that is only the fist 5 seconds of any journey.

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 08:21 PM

not refered to you mr whately! it was the other blurb on the thread

[Edited on 27/4/14 by daniel mason]

jwhatley - 27/4/14 at 08:23 PM

First 5? No.... The first 3!

But your right, totally irrelevant. It's good for pub talk and that's about it.

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 08:35 PM

also I was referring to mr hodder not mr hoyle.

jeffw - 27/4/14 at 08:36 PM

quote:

If you are talking about Gary Bunn (?) it was 137 MPH and his car has a supercharged Honda Type-R engine in it (BIG horsepower). Mr Hodder was double driving this car.

[Edited on 27/4/14 by jeffw]

[Edited on 27/4/14 by jeffw]

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 08:55 PM

the clock at Aintree was incorrect, the data logger said different. and mr hodder was 2nd ftd!

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 08:58 PM

quote:
wikipedia?

quote:
not refered to you mr whately! it was the other blurb on the thread

If you're asking about my power analysis, then no... I used as many sources as I could find for accurately tested top speeds on the Westfield (none of which was Wikipedia, some of which were my own), then used them to calculate and cross-reference a CdA. As I recall, there was a pleasingly high degree of correlation between all the results, so I was happy that the CdA figure I arrived at was pretty accurate.

Rolling resistance and transmission losses are pretty typical for all cars, and from there the calculations are relatively straightforward.

Source for information on the Lotus Eleven's record attempt at Monza was Dennis Ortenburger's definitive book on the car.

HTH

quote:
also I was referring to mr hodder not mr hoyle.

Ah, OK. Still only 134mph, not 140, according to the results, though? But Garry Bunn came closer, at 137mph.

... Whatever. My original assessment still holds: they'd have all needed comfortably in excess of the power required for their terminal speed, in order to accelerate to that figure in such a short distance. And the power requirements for these sorts of speeds still demonstrate very graphically how inefficient the aero is on a Seven, compared to its full-bodyshell, streamlined cousin.

I've done a GPS verified 147mph in a 197bhp Skoda Estate, FFS (for which the manufacturer claims 149mph... I was robbed. ). The same power would barely see you past 130mph in a Seven! Aerodynamically, they're a bad joke.

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 09:12 PM

if you cared to read and listen instead of talk,youd see the clock was wrong and the data logger was not. unless the driver was lying?
anyway unless you had a 90bhp aero car and a 260bhp 7 on the same track with the same tyres with the same driver on the same day its difficult to get a realistic figure using a calculator and a pencil.
in the real world (competitive motorsport) a bec 7 can be a match for many high powered machinery,even on high speed circuits, although on a drag strip maybe a drag car would be more suited

bi22le - 27/4/14 at 09:16 PM

Going back to the op and advice for him.

I would say that you have probably seen enough evidence to tell you that these cars are not straight line machines.

How ever if you are looking for fun b Road driving or a track day car that will be one of the quickest cars at any day then a kit car is the thing for you.

I brought mine for these two reasons. If I wanted b Road enjoyment I would of got an classic car with a soft top and if wanted balls out track time I would of got a bike.

Sam_68 - 27/4/14 at 09:16 PM

quote:
the clock at Aintree was incorrect, the data logger said different.

Really? An on-board datalogger (using notoriously inaccurate accelerometers and maybe GPS that can place the car to +/- the length of a double decker bus) is more accurate than RAC-verified optical timing? OK, if you insist...

It's irrelevant, really, though.

Whatever top speed was achieved - be it 134mph, 137mph, 140mph, or Mach 1.2 on the datalogger, the fact remains that it will have taken a f**k of a lot of power to get there, and they'd have had the potential to go a f**k of a lot faster if the same horsepower had been installed in a car with half-decent aerodynamics.

SausageArm - 27/4/14 at 09:37 PM

Even with the ZX10R turbo engine in my Mac 1 Worx, first gear is a bit too tall to get brilliant 0-60 times, once over about 20mph it's brutal right the way to the limiter in 6th!

daniel mason - 27/4/14 at 09:38 PM

its geared and logged at 143mph and was on the limiter way before finish line. and the clock was incorrect. it still was a lot more accurate than a guy with a calculator and pencil,which is more or less the same as a wild guess!

jeffw - 27/4/14 at 09:47 PM

Even assuming that it might be 143MPH that Derek Hodder hit while passing the finish line, that car is a very high powered Honda CEC (well over 500BHP) so I'm at a loss to see your point, Daniel. Even crap aero can be pushed through the air with enough power. I hit 158MPH at Goodwood on the Lavant straight but even that does help the OP.

daniel mason - 28/4/14 at 06:37 AM

im well aware that a certain amount of power can push these cars onto high speeds.and didn't want this thread to turn sour. but sometimes when certain people try to antagonise people on the forum,with made up facts (its been going on,on many forums for a number of years with certain people) I feel someone should speak up.
a light bec should be very quick to 60mph which is what the op wanted to know. id suggest looking at sprint results and see which cars got off the line quickest! apologies to the op.

Jon Ison - 28/4/14 at 07:24 AM

mmmmmmmm, quickest off the line sprint times

phelpsa - 28/4/14 at 07:38 AM

What distance was that Jon? Surely not 64ft?

Jon Ison - 28/4/14 at 07:59 AM

I honestly don't know, whatever they measure at Barkston heath, just went for a play having never driven the sprint circuit there before was reasonably pleased with the results, oddly enough I have another somewhere I will have to dig out, blows the 4wd theory off the line out the window, 3 out of the top 3 times where posted by BECs admittedly one on slicks (not moi) not sure what engine was in the warner car bit I think (could be wrong) that was bike too so that's 4 out of 4 then a bit of a gap to the rest ?

I just had the same engine and road legal tyres that saw BECs banned from the GOME 6 hour endurance event apparently to much speed differential, I'll leave others to debate which way but will add when we entered we where belittled a somewhat with our rice burning tiny motors that wouldn't even last 1/2 the event.

eta, just to put a little more meat on the bones, the GOME 6 hour event rules dictate 4 driver changes per hour but both drivers must be in the car on the circuit at all times in other words 2 up for the whole event.

[Edited on 28/4/14 by Jon Ison]

franky - 28/4/14 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Like I said to a work colleague recently, the 0-60 times are totally irrelevant, that is only the fist 5 seconds of any journey.

Or 3?

Chalkey - 28/4/14 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
4.5secs or 5.0 secs

I'd be very surprised if any were that slow, they must weigh a ton or something must be wrong somewhere!

Mine is just over 400kg and does over 70mph in first gear :-)

Mr Mackey - 28/4/14 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chalkey
quote:
4.5secs or 5.0 secs

I'd be very surprised if any were that slow, they must weigh a ton or something must be wrong somewhere!

But what's your 0-60 time mate?

jeffw - 28/4/14 at 09:31 AM

quote:

If that is 64ft it is a stunning time. I can do 2.2sec 64ft with cold tyres and around 1.9-2.0 with warm tyres. 1.8 is awesome.

jeffw - 28/4/14 at 09:32 AM

quote:
I just had the same engine and road legal tyres that saw BECs banned from the GOME 6 hour endurance event apparently to much speed differential, I'll leave others to debate which way but will add when we entered we where belittled a somewhat with our rice burning tiny motors that wouldn't even last 1/2 the event.

eta, just to put a little more meat on the bones, the GOME 6 hour event rules dictate 4 driver changes per hour but both drivers must be in the car on the circuit at all times in other words 2 up for the whole event.

Lol....you can't let that go, can you Jon.

Jon Ison - 28/4/14 at 09:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

Lol....you can't let that go, can you Jon.

TBH I think it puts up the BEC side of the debate pretty well, they laughed at us when we dared to enter our puney little BECs into a endurance event 2 up then re wrote the rule book and banned us afterwards, which way to people want it ?

BECs cant cut it 2 up against more powerful CEC's or they can ? Which one is it ?

Chalkey - 28/4/14 at 09:41 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
4.5secs or 5.0 secs

mmm well my bum dyno tells me its quicker than my Exige I owned previously, so I guess sub 4 seconds. I would be very keen to have a go with one of the GPS gizmos to really be sure but at the end of the day, it is a track car, not a drag car so for me the 0-60 really is irrelevant but I'd still say - pretty damn quick!

One thing to look out for though if you are looking to purchase is what type of diff and diff ratio the car has as some will rev out at circa 100mph max. Mine will see approx. 135mph before bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th.

I'd go and try a few different cars to get a balanced view... For me they are very compromising on the road, very tiring unless your on some good twisty b-roads but its on track where it really comes to life.

Blue-printed ZX10R Superstock spec from Ex BSB Team
FlatShifter
Quaife LSD
R888
412Kg (admittedly the weight will go up considerably when I sit in it!)

[Edited on 28/4/14 by Chalkey]

bi22le - 28/4/14 at 12:09 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
4.5secs or 5.0 secs

mmm well my bum dyno tells me its quicker than my Exige I owned previously, so I guess sub 4 seconds. I would be very keen to have a go with one of the GPS gizmos to really be sure but at the end of the day, it is a track car, not a drag car so for me the 0-60 really is irrelevant but I'd still say - pretty damn quick!

One thing to look out for though if you are looking to purchase is what type of diff and diff ratio the car has as some will rev out at circa 100mph max. Mine will see approx. 135mph before bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th.

I'd go and try a few different cars to get a balanced view... For me they are very compromising on the road, very tiring unless your on some good twisty b-roads but its on track where it really comes to life.

Blue-printed ZX10R Superstock spec from Ex BSB Team
FlatShifter
Quaife LSD
R888
412Kg (admittedly the weight will go up considerably when I sit in it!)

[Edited on 28/4/14 by Chalkey]

you may of mentioned this elsewhere but what chassis is this?

Chalkey - 28/4/14 at 12:25 PM

you may of mentioned this elsewhere but what chassis is this?

Worx RR

franky - 28/4/14 at 12:59 PM

0-62 in 3.4, 0-100 in 7.3, thats a 650kg car with a na engine. 155+mph.

Chalkey - 28/4/14 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
0-62 in 3.4, 0-100 in 7.3, thats a 650kg car with a na engine. 155+mph.

and a nice straight six growl...

Proby - 28/4/14 at 01:52 PM

My F27 blade will hit 60 in 4.07 seconds, with the right tyres, tarmac & driver. It's lightweight (circa 490kg) being a narrowbody and having a live rear end. Not bad for a car with 130bhp. I've owned some very quick/fast cars over the years, and nothing 'feels' as quick as this to 60. After that, other cars (including my 200bhp diesel tintop) will blow it away in a straight line. As said, put a passenger in with me and it kills it, really knocks the edge off.

jeffw - 28/4/14 at 02:00 PM

Setting aside the BEC/CEC thing for a moment

1. Kit cars feel much faster than normal cars
2. Only Journalist are able to match 0-60 times and the manufacture replaces the clutch after each test.
3. Most BECs will leave the vast majority of cars for Dead, on the road or on the track, until you get to silly speeds.
4. 0-60 times are like dyno printouts and car weight figures....makes us feel good but are probable mostly pub figures.
5. I can out drag most if not all 4wd cars in the dry but when it rains....4wd and traction control wins.

Get what you fancy and then enjoy it.

phelpsa - 28/4/14 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

If that is 64ft it is a stunning time. I can do 2.2sec 64ft with cold tyres and around 1.9-2.0 with warm tyres. 1.8 is awesome.

Your times are pretty spectacular too Jeff. Is that with A24 ZZRs?

My best is 2.04 secs with pretty much brand new A15 slicks, and I am consistently the fastest (to 64ft...) in the class. Even the top running mod Westfields on radial slicks with launch/traction control struggle to go below 2.1. Admittedly it is very surface dependent, but anything under 2.2 seconds on road tyres is very unusual!

TimC - 28/4/14 at 02:59 PM

quote:

'twas a good day.

Fatgadget - 28/4/14 at 03:03 PM

Slightly OT...What's the significance of the 60 mph..arbitrary or what?

mcerd1 - 28/4/14 at 03:58 PM

^^ its the speed limit on most roads

Jon Ison - 28/4/14 at 04:22 PM

quote:
but anything under 2.2 seconds on road tyres is very unusual!

That's me very unusual, those times where on triple 8's down to wear bars but spun up to get some heat in them pre start.

phelpsa - 28/4/14 at 04:42 PM

quote:
quote:
but anything under 2.2 seconds on road tyres is very unusual!

That's me very unusual, those times where on triple 8's down to wear bars but spun up to get some heat in them pre start.

Not doubting you Jon, but I need to figure out how you're doing it!

This was a 2.07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0KKz9lGTNk

Times for the whole class here.

Jon Ison - 28/4/14 at 05:07 PM

The feel for grip v wheels pin I guess from years of autograss starts on slippery surfaces in a race where first into first corner usually wins helps.

froggy - 28/4/14 at 05:51 PM

My 60ft times are 2.5 -2.8 on road tyres and not much better on cheap track tyres . Had a fluke 1.8 second 60ft at Avon park last year and took .5 off my 1/4 time but never got under 2.0 since .

jeffw - 28/4/14 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Your times are pretty spectacular too Jeff. Is that with A24 ZZRs?

My best is 2.04 secs with pretty much brand new A15 slicks, and I am consistently the fastest (to 64ft...) in the class. Even the top running mod Westfields on radial slicks with launch/traction control struggle to go below 2.1. Admittedly it is very surface dependent, but anything under 2.2 seconds on road tyres is very unusual!

Yeap A24 ZZRs

Johneturbo - 19/3/15 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Around 4 seconds if it has slicks and LSD fitted, 3 sounds like beer talk.

there is a lot of that, even with what a car weighs!!

Slimy38 - 19/3/15 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
Slightly OT...What's the significance of the 60 mph..arbitrary or what?

I know that European manufacturers quote 0-100 km/h, which is 0-62. Is 60mph simply the nearest imperial equivalent?

daz928sb - 18/5/15 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Thanks for all the replys.went out again in the zx10.still the acceleration felt tame.my friend has a 400 bhp impreza and even when the massive weight difference is seems much quicker.i must say through the twistys the zx10 was quick I'm still unsure which way to go.a mach#1 or something like impreza/Evo/gtr.

[Edited on 27/4/14 by Mr Mackey]

hi can I just ask does your zx10r have a power commander /tuned ect ect?

I just find it difficult to comprehend you saying its quite slow in comparison to your friends imprezza ect?

I have had a masserrati and my favourite tvr Tuscan for 5 years and id say that my mac1zx10r is quicker than the both of them????