Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 Turbo
bren32

posted on 11/6/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
ZX12 Turbo

I have a ZX12 in a BEC that I use for Autocross competition. It been very successful but I've come to the point that I need more HP from the engine.

I'm considering adding a DIY turbo. I've looked at the turbo kits available from holeshot and others but they are just out of my price range so I'm considering having a go at doing it myself.

I plan on adding a TD04 turbo from a Saab or Volvo (I've done the calculations and looked at the compressor maps so a Mitsubishi TD04 should work.) I will be fabricating the exhaust manifold and plenum myself. I only want to run 5-6 psi of boost so will not be reducing the compression ratio.

I intend to add a power commander to look after the fueling and to eventually have the engine mapped on the dyno.

Has anyone else here tried anything like this on a zx12 or other bike engine? Anyone know if this type of setup will introduce much lag?

Thanks,

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Did my cbr900, great returns for 7psi boost, from 125bhp to 201bhp

I had to convert from carbs to injection so you are already ahead.

Megasquirt ECU
Intercooler
Turbo
Plenum
Exhaust
Lock up clutch
Bit of hose

Came in at ~ £1000 including rolling road.

Added an oil cooler later on + accusump.

I have no noticeable lag however do run a vane turbo (aerocharger, you will be lucky to find one cheap in the UK).

Excellent mod, there are some pictures in my archive

twybrow

posted on 11/6/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I would be very interested in how you get on - I don't need more power, but I can always plan for next winter!
johnny chimpo

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Bren, I'm having similar thoughts about my R1 MNR. I want to turbo it, but looking at the costs for the kits that are available, they are out of my price range for the time being. I've thought about picking up the parts as and when I have them, or when I spot them on ebay etc. the problem I have is a total lack of technical knowledge and trying to find info online about diy 5pw turbo conversions is proving to be a struggle.

Keep us posted with how you get on....

dave_424

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bare in mind that there are many TD04's out there, 13T, 13c, 15g, 16T etc.

For referance I am using a 13T on my ZX9 turbo and that's slightly restrictive at the higher RPM's but great lower torque.

For a ZX12 I would go for something like a 16T or a garrett T25 or T28, remember that larger turbos will be more efficient and no real noticeable lag.

Exhaust manifold can be done for around £100

Better clutch will probably be needed, I am trying to get away with just barnett HD clutch springs but if I need a lockup clutch I will have to look into making one.

I will be heading to the dyno with my turbo ZX9 in the next couple of weeks and will post my findings up on the forum.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wait for "imp Paul" to chime in on this one.

He has done a shedload of research on turbo'ing the ZX12R

he has a ZX12R motor in bits in the middle of a Turbo implant, but mind you he is going mental and building a monster.

And having sat beside him he will probably put it over the back of a dyke somewhere !!!!

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

bren32

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Did my cbr900, great returns for 7psi boost, from 125bhp to 201bhp

I had to convert from carbs to injection so you are already ahead.

Megasquirt ECU
Intercooler
Turbo
Plenum
Exhaust
Lock up clutch
Bit of hose

Came in at ~ £1000 including rolling road.

Added an oil cooler later on + accusump.

I have no noticeable lag however do run a vane turbo (aerocharger, you will be lucky to find one cheap in the UK).

Excellent mod, there are some pictures in my archive

Thanks for the info Mark, did you have to use a scavenge pump to return the oil feed from the turbo to the engine?

bren32

posted on 11/6/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Bare in mind that there are many TD04's out there, 13T, 13c, 15g, 16T etc.

For referance I am using a 13T on my ZX9 turbo and that's slightly restrictive at the higher RPM's but great lower torque.

For a ZX12 I would go for something like a 16T or a garrett T25 or T28, remember that larger turbos will be more efficient and no real noticeable lag.

Exhaust manifold can be done for around £100

Better clutch will probably be needed, I am trying to get away with just barnett HD clutch springs but if I need a lockup clutch I will have to look into making one.

I will be heading to the dyno with my turbo ZX9 in the next couple of weeks and will post my findings up on the forum.

I was planning on a TD04HL-15T, I though that going with a bigger turbo would risk introducing more lag? For the type of racing that I'm doing I really need it to be responsive at mid range RPM's.

T66

posted on 11/6/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
First two I found....

Scion TC Vortech TRD Supercharger | eBay

Vortech V 1 supercharger A Trim New Unused | eBay

[Edited on 11/6/13 by T66]

Proby

posted on 11/6/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
This is also a project that I tried to get started on. I have been collecting parts along the way, I have my turbo (td04 13c), throttle bodies, swirl tank, fuel pump etc. Even made the inlet manifold for the bodies. I put it on hold while I put it back on the road for some fun while the weather was decent!!

Marks clever turbo is self contained/self lubricating, it sits in its own oil bath and is sealed in believe.

[Edited on 11/6/13 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
All sealed for me, taking an oil feed off a bike engine is easy enough, tee piece on the oil pressure switch and drop a pipe into the sump for the return.

You are just not as free on placement of the turbo as I could go low with mine.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/6/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
td04-15g and td04-16T are pretty similar. Not sure about a 15T, both good for 230-250bhp in their stock volvo/saab install.

Lag isn't a problem I get boost from about 4kRPM with my td04-16T. I don't think lag will be a problem for you.

My guess is that if you can't lower the compression then you do want to keep the inlet air cool and run expensive fuel.

Matt

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Clever gaskets cost more than a decent intercooler, as the bike is built for USA emissions and 93 Ron fuel 7 psi with optimax is well within the scope of a standard engine.

I did look at cam timing, got confused so just left as it came out the bike and its a completely bonkers car to drive now

imp paul

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
hi i have a very insane 12r turbo engine but its not in any way lowcost lol .
if you need any info on bits and bobs let me know and i will try to help . this is how it can go

cheers paul

http://youtu.be/lzbj2Nihu5o

[Edited on 11/6/13 by imp paul]

SausageArm

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bren32
I intend to add a power commander to look after the fueling and to eventually have the engine mapped on the dyno.

I have a low compression ZX10R turbo engine in my car which up until very recently has been running on Power Commander III with multi-function hub and map sensor, it was mapped and ran ok but is much better now it has a standalone ecu.

You will need as a minimum the power commander and a mapping session on the dyno before driving it, to keep it safe, in my opinion, especially considering the standard compression ratio.

SausageArm

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
All sealed for me, taking an oil feed off a bike engine is easy enough, tee piece on the oil pressure switch and drop a pipe into the sump for the return.

You are just not as free on placement of the turbo as I could go low with mine.

You can go as low as you want with turbo positioning, providing you use an oil scavenge pump to help return the oil to the sump.

What turbo are you using Mark?

SausageArm

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
if you need any info on bits and bobs let me know and i will try to help .

Any more info Paul? Photos, videos etc?

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
An early one of these

http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/

Very good it is, a Scootz special

bren32

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
if you need any info on bits and bobs let me know and i will try to help . this is how it can go

cheers paul

http://youtu.be/lzbj2Nihu5o

[Edited on 11/6/13 by imp paul]

That is just mental power Paul! Would love to see some pics if you have any.

bren32

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SausageArm
quote:

I have a low compression ZX10R turbo engine in my car which up until very recently has been running on Power Commander III with multi-function hub and map sensor, it was mapped and ran ok but is much better now it has a standalone ecu.

You will need as a minimum the power commander and a mapping session on the dyno before driving it, to keep it safe, in my opinion, especially considering the standard compression ratio.

What ECU are using now? I have a Megasquirt 2 lying around but I thought it would be easier to get it going with the Power Commander than starting from scratch with the Megasquirt.

Is the multi-function hub necessary when using the Power Commander?

SausageArm

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
An early one of these

http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/53series/

Very good it is, a Scootz special

Looks interesting, i presume they do various sizes, it's something else for me to look into.

SausageArm

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SausageArm
quote:

What ECU are using now? I have a Megasquirt 2 lying around but I thought it would be easier to get it going with the Power Commander than starting from scratch with the Megasquirt.

Is the multi-function hub necessary when using the Power Commander?

I'm using an MBE ECU

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU_Details/MBE9A4/MBE9A4.htm

You need the multi-function hub with the power commander to allow a map sensor to be used to let it read boost pressure.

imp paul

posted on 12/6/13 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
morning all here is a pic of my engine for now just to give you some idea what its about zx12r turbo engine 2010
zx12r turbo engine 2010
billet stacks
billet stacks
new gt35r twinscroll and tial
new gt35r twinscroll and tial
new plenum 2
new plenum 2
new parts so far
new parts so far

[Edited on 12/6/13 by imp paul]

bren32

posted on 12/6/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking for a few parts. This is what I have come up with for some of the main parts.

Intercooler
ALUMINIUM UNIVERSAL TURBO INTERCOOLER 330x280x76MM Q | eBay

Turbo
49189-01800 Turbocharger for Saab AERO 9-3 9-5 B253R 2.0L 2.3L TD04HL-15T Turbo | eBay
49189-01800 Turbocharger for Saab AERO 9-3 9-5 B253R 2.0L 2.3L TD04HL-15T Turbo

As I'm going to place the turbo low down I'm going to need a Scavange Pump
Performance Turbo Electric Oil Scavenge Pump Bronze Gear 12v 12 volts | eBay

Couple of other questions, does anyone know a cheap way of relocating the oil filter on the 12?

Also, will the injectors be be ok or will I need to upgrade? Are the standard injectors 330cc?

imp paul

posted on 12/6/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The stock injectors are really flakey over 200 hp .stock 00/01 ZX12R injectors are between 310 & 330 cc/min.you could fit say some rc 550 but peeps have ran with stock on low boost but not a good way to do the job .

as for moving the oil filter yes you can fit a sanwich plate but will need the correct thredded centre bolt eg this type of fitment
Mocal Sandwich Plate For M20 Filter 1/2 BSP Ports Oil Cooler Race Rally Track | eBay

also fit a beggi riseing rate fuel reg

and the stock clutch is going to poo it self so time to buy a propper job muzzys

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.