Board logo

no back box and mot
dave r - 3/1/18 at 02:07 PM

What's the legalities of not having a back box on a tin top?
It a turbo diesel 1.7 Corsa, and cheapest I can find is over 100 quid..... which to me sounds a lot

If I fabricate , a straight through pipe, will it pass the mot. It isn't loud, even with the pipe finishing under the car, won't be any louder with it out the back

Thoughts?

joneh - 3/1/18 at 02:37 PM

Purely guessing, but it may have an effect on the emissions with the reduced silencer pressure.

loggyboy - 3/1/18 at 02:48 PM

No reason it will fail for the sake its just missing, as long as its not overly loud (emissions shouldn't be affected, otherwise very performance exhaust would fail)

davidimurray - 3/1/18 at 03:30 PM

According to this website - http://www.motester.co.uk/ mot-general-information/mot-information-for-motorists/mot-test-checks-list-continued#exhaust

Part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

So may depend on how hot your examiner is.

gremlin1234 - 3/1/18 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
According to this website - http://www.motester.co.uk/ mot-general-information/mot-information-for-motorists/mot-test-checks-list-continued#exhaust

Part of the system missing or excessively deteriorated

So may depend on how hot your examiner is.

but that site is just a summary.
the real testers manual has reasons for rejection as

1. An exhaust system not adequately supported.

2. A major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system.

3. A catalytic converter or particulate filter missing where one was fitted as standard.

4. A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

5. Exhaust fumes entering the driver’s or passenger area. (class 5 only)

russbost - 3/1/18 at 04:59 PM

Providing you make a decent job of it it should pass unless your tester is an idiot!