Board logo

Injector testing (scam?)
luke2152 - 6/5/17 at 08:52 PM

I brought 4 used subaru wrx injectors which should flow 440cc/min@3bar. I wanted to make sure they were still performing to spec rather than risk running one cylinder lean.

Sent them to an outfit advertising on ebay - name withheld for now to be 'ultrasonic cleaned and volumetric flow tested at 3 bar'. Cost £60 for 4 injectors.

Sent them away and they came back nicely cleaned but with no test report. So I got in touch and they said they're all good don't worry about it. I insisted so I had to send them back and they came back with a test report which says:

back leak 0mL
Idling test 90mL 90mL 90mL 90mL - 4minutes
Mid range test 78mL 78mL 78mL 78mL - 1.20 minutes
Full range test 50mL 50mL 50mL 50mL - 20 seconds
Simulating low speed 53mL 53mL 53mL 55mL 55mL - 1.20 minutes (where did this 5th injector come from?!)
Accelerating 95mL 92mL 93mL 92mL 95mL - 1.20 minutes (again extra injector)
Simulating high speed 95mL 95mL 95mL 95mL 95mL - 1.20 minutes (5 again!)
Electric test 12.6 12.4 12.5 12.5

I assume the full range test is the important one and 50mL/20 seconds = 150mL/min which is one third of the rated flow. I'd expect that on one dud injector but not on all 4 and with consistency. So I reckon that they didn't test them at all but just made up a load of numbers that would look plausible if you didn't pay too much attention and then sent them back to me

mark chandler - 6/5/17 at 09:04 PM

I do not know about the figures, to test mine I just made a simple rig, fuel pump, tee pice regulator and a couple of big jars.

I powered it all from an old battery charger with just one diode instead of a full bridge rectifier so this gave 60 pluses per second for 50% of the time then timed how long it took each injector to shift 1/2 litre of fluid.

You get to see the spray pattern and can confirm that they all are similar flow rates, in the event a couple were a bit dodgy but looping with cellulose paint thinners sorted them out.

Ben_Copeland - 7/5/17 at 07:15 AM

I use Mr Injector and he always provides a printed spread sheet with figures and pass or fail results.

That's a very consistent set of figures for used injectors

[Edited on 7/5/17 by Ben_Copeland]

britishtrident - 7/5/17 at 08:22 AM

An on car balance test works for me , you need a pressure gauge and an injector pulse tool both of which are fairly cheap off ebay.

As it a method worth sharing I will post links to a Scannerdanner video on it.

britishtrident - 7/5/17 at 11:56 AM

Paul "Scanner" Danner Injector Balance test.

Cleaning the injector

Another car

[Edited on 7/5/17 by britishtrident]

MikeRJ - 7/5/17 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
I reckon that they didn't test them at all but just made up a load of numbers that would look plausible if you didn't pay too much attention and then sent them back to me

I reckon you are exactly right.