Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3D printed inlet manifold
Paul TVR

posted on 8/8/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
3D printed inlet manifold

Hi there, wondering if anyone here has successfully printed an inlet manifold?

I know it's possible, I have a friend with a printer I can use but struggling to find a material it can print which will be suitable.

r1_pete

posted on 8/8/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
This Chap tried it for some tb adapters
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 9/8/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If it's below the injectors be careful of porosity - you don't want it soaking up fuel! You could always give it a coat of something to seal it of course

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/8/17 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
As above - first of all, try soaking the material in petrol for an hour or three to see how it reacts. Next, work out what temperature the material will have to withstand, then add 50% (or even 100% to be sure). Look at the specification for the material to see whether it would remain rigid at the target temperature. Note: don't look at the temperature at which it will soften, rather look at the glass transition temperature. This is the temperature where the material loses its structural strength (it goes floppy) rather than its melting temperature.

I have seen many internet postings where people have decided to make engine components using 3D printing, and everyone gets the same reply - very few 3D printing materials will withstand the temperatures in an engine compartment. Where 3D printing DOES triumph is to make patterns for casting - make a pattern, make a mould from the pattern, use the mould to cast the part using better materials.

ettore bugatti

posted on 9/8/17 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think SU carbs had some SLS printed intakes on their stand on the last Autosport show (or maybe the one in 2016), but they only used it for dyno testing.

Was it not even common to use wood as cylinderhead material to develop heads?

coyoteboy

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with a team who did this and they had a nightmare getting rid of porosity on most materials (totally screws up your AFRs), then they used SLA to make the final item but still only ran it for dyno testing, then got one machined from it.

I'm sure there must be materials and processes suitable though, maybe wesbrooks on here will pop along and make a comment?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.