Board logo

Best battery connectors?
David Jenkins - 16/8/17 at 03:06 PM

I went out for a drive today, and when I was out I stopped off to get some petrol. When I tried to restart the car - nothing. It didn't sound like the common x-flow inertia starter jam, so I had a good look at the battery connectors. After fiddling and waggling them for a while the car started again, so I drove home and investigated. The battery terminals were clean and the clamps were on tight, but the 2 screws on each clamp were slack - it took almost 1 turn on each to tighten them up again. I put a test meter on the battery and did the usual tests (on and off load, engine off & on) and everything seemed fit for purpose, so the loose screws were almost certainly the cause of my problem. My guess is that a combination of a coarse screw thread combined with vibration, hot-and-cold cycles and compression of the battery cable strands all contributed.

This is the type of clamp I have currently:

All the other connectors on my battery leads are either crimped or soldered - I don't like screw cable clamps!

So now I'm looking for recommendations for a better quality terminal clamp for round posts - I don't care whether it's bolted onto the post or a quick-release type, although I probably prefer the semi-permanent type, as I don't remove the battery from the car very often.

[Edited on 16/8/17 by David Jenkins]

AntonUK - 16/8/17 at 04:20 PM

My only comment would be not to buy this type...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Battery-Terminals-Clamps-Pair-Quick-Release-Lift-off-Positive-Negative/2037322763?iid=322454979736

Great idea, while look nice and work quite well, it blocks the ablity to just jump leads direct to the battery.

Charlie_Zetec - 16/8/17 at 04:31 PM

I always use the ones with studs built in - crimp a ring terminal/lug on the cable end (think my Defender uses M10 versions, but M8 should suffice for smaller applications).

Half way down here (Polevolt)

David Jenkins - 16/8/17 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Battery-Terminals-Clamps-Pair-Quick-Release-Lift-off-Positive-Negative/2037322763?iid=322454979736

Great idea, while look nice and work quite well, it blocks the ablity to just jump leads direct to the battery.

The way my car's wired, I can put the +Ve lead onto the starter solenoid so that's not a problem. The big problem I encountered with those is with the Chinese rip-off versions that everyone sells these days - I used to have a really good pair of these* until I changed to a Ford-style battery with flat terminals, but when that battery died I struggled to replace it and had to go back to post connectors.

* Note to 907 - I don't expect you to give them back, Paul!

David Jenkins - 16/8/17 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I always use the ones with studs built in - crimp a ring terminal/lug on the cable end (think my Defender uses M10 versions, but M8 should suffice for smaller applications).

Half way down here (Polevolt)

I was considering that type - the only concern is that I like an insulated cover on the +Ve terminal, and I haven't seen anything suitable on ebay. Otherwise it looks good, and I can crimp or solder terminal rings on the leads.

907 - 16/8/17 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK

The way my car's wired, I can put the +Ve lead onto the starter solenoid so that's not a problem. The big problem I encountered with those is with the Chinese rip-off versions that everyone sells these days - I used to have a really good pair of these* until I changed to a Ford-style battery with flat terminals, but when that battery died I struggled to replace it and had to go back to post connectors.

* Note to 907 - I don't expect you to give them back, Paul!

Note to David - Your not getting them back. They're the best bit of the car

big-vee-twin - 17/8/17 at 08:43 AM

Can you solder them, tin the wire, tighten the screws onto cable and then heat the whole clamp and solder.

David Jenkins - 17/8/17 at 09:40 AM

In the end I've ordered a pair of these:

The video shows that you can jump-start with them, if you lift the cover halfway.

They are the originals - anything else sold on ebay is a rip-off, probably made of chinesium.