Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital water gauge problem
wandr

posted on 16/11/17 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Digital water gauge problem

Hi all , I have fitted a simoni digital water temperature gauge and have a strange problem that the gauge reads 40 degrees when the engine is stone cold, demon tweeks have told me they think it is an issue with the sender and said put PTFE tape around the thread, this has not worked sender is brand new, earth for the gauge is good and it is wired to live ok, when I disconnected the sender wire completely it still read 40 degrees, any one have any ideas?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/11/17 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Faulty gauge I guess
coyoteboy

posted on 17/11/17 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
What did they hope ptfe tape would do?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/11/17 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
That’s a mystery!
pekwah1

posted on 17/11/17 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
My digital temp gauge (not a simoni) is identical, seems to have a minimum reading of 40 degrees also.
It doesn't really bother me to be honest, works perfectly well otherwise

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 17/11/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
absolute guess here but ...

The gauge is reading a resistance value from the sender. Either the sender base / starting resistance is the same as 40 degrees OR the gauge doesn't do any values below 40 degrees.

Is it really a problem?

coyoteboy

posted on 17/11/17 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Often they'll match the curve to the operational range so you get better accuracy at that location, at the sacrifice of the extremes you don't care about. So it is distinctly likely it's just how it's meant to work. But if it's a matching gauge you'd expect that to have no readings below 40C just so customers don't ask!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/11/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a rubbish if it starts at 40 degs but I guess as long as it’s accurate when you want it to be that’s the most important thing .
David Jenkins

posted on 17/11/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think PTFE tape could stop it working, if the temp sender uses the engine block as the earth return. It's a vague chance, but I'd only use PTFE if there were any signs of water leaks.

wandr

posted on 17/11/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, the PTFE tape was suggested by Demon tweeks as they thought there might be an poor earth path from the sender but it does it with or without so maybe it's just meant to start at 40, doesn't really matter I guess, by the sound of some posts I might get another and it will be exactly the same, I
haven't used digital before so I was assuming that they would all start at zero like standard gauge types, many thanks as always for all your help and replies

02GF74

posted on 17/11/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Most gauges aren't marked and you assume that when the needle is at the minimum position that represents 0 degrees. I'll bet it does not.
Also the water temperature when the needle starts to move is probably well above 0.

If the gauge shows correct temperature when engine has warmed up I. E. Thermostat has opened, it is working correctly.

dmrider_10

posted on 5/12/17 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just for info, I have a different type of digi temp gauge and it operates the same from 40 degrees plus
CosKev3

posted on 5/12/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah most cars coolant gauges minimum reading is 50 degrees,if you plug diagnostics in you will see the true temp,and the gauge starts to rise at 50
SteveWalker

posted on 5/12/17 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Yeah most cars coolant gauges minimum reading is 50 degrees,if you plug diagnostics in you will see the true temp,and the gauge starts to rise at 50

On lots of cars you can enter a test mode without any diagnostic equipment and get a display of all sorts of readings. I have used this on various vehicles to see the water temperature, voltage, litres remaining and much else. On one car, using the odometer to display speed in kph - as the secondary red markings on a black background were unreadable in sunlight.

For instance, holding the trip-meter reset button while turning the ignition on on a Ford Focus goes into test mode and each press advances the function (gauge sweep test, warning lamps, software version, battery voltage, water temperature, etc.) all displayed on the odometer LCD. While pressing and holding BC until it beeps on a Vauxhall Zafira changes the radio display to show multiple items of information and other buttons move between the screens.

I'm sure most cars have hidden features like this.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.