Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ignition ON --> indicator relais active--> ligths flashing
alfas

posted on 2/9/18 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
ignition ON --> indicator relais active--> ligths flashing

i have a very strange problem which appeared suddenly:

if i turn on the ignition you can hear the indicator relais clicking, but instead of the indicators, the lights (front side lights, rear lights and instrument lights) are flashing

if i additinaly turn on the lights (side or main) the relais stops, but now its impossible to get the indicators to work.

first i thought: hey quite an easy job...something wrong with the ground.....but i could not found any loose cable, i also temporary installed an addtional ground directly from battery to front lights and indicators...nothing changed. i even disconnected the front lights to see whats happening: the indicator relais is still clicking.
remved dash to see wiring behind....all wires connected where they should be connected.

lights work as they should, engine runs as usual, fan working as usual, brake lights work correctly, wiper and wiper-washer works correctly...

[Edited on 2/9/18 by alfas]

gremlin1234

posted on 2/9/18 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
does it do the same when indicating left/right?
do the hazards work?

rusty nuts

posted on 2/9/18 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try squirting the indicator switch with contact cleaner or failing that WD40 , it could be corroded contacts especially if you have been caught out in the rain. Guess how I know.
alfas

posted on 3/9/18 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
does it do the same when indicating left/right?
do the hazards work?

Hazards work if i disconnect the indicator relay from +.

probelm remains when indicator switch is in position right or left.

if i have time i will take out the switch from the dash this afternoon and give it a clean....

alfas

posted on 3/9/18 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
problem solved..... the centre pin of the indicator switch was connected to the dash lights...as i own the car only 2 weeks this must have been a problem already present at former owner ( he is insisting that he never touched the wiring, even he conformed that he had problems with the indicators)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.