Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dual beam projector lights opinions
Bufort

posted on 4/9/18 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dual beam projector lights opinions

Hi, I'm new here, probably because i'm not building a car, but a bike. I would however, like to use a headlight which is apparently used by you guys, and would like to know your opinions of it. It is a 50w halogen projector light, 50mm across the lens, sold (and possibly made) by Furore. There are two versions:

1. Single beam models - dip and main
  2. Dual beam - using some kind of actuated shade perhaps as it only has one bulb. - This would be perfect for a bike, as smaller = better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Projector-Headlight-Combined-Dip-Main-Beam-Kitcar-Custom-Chop-Trike-Motorcycle/222743002592

I also came across another version (this one is 35W and has good reviews about brightness, nothing about beam pattern, but poor connections): http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-sti/lighting/olm-low-high-beam-projector-fog-lights-2015-wrx-2015-sti

Does anybody have any photos/videos of it (single or dual beam) in action (I've asked Furore and they sent me here), or reviews/opinions on them? My main concern is how bright it is, as my aim is to have just one light unit.

I would love to get some opinions on this! Thank you very much.

[Edited on 4/9/18 by Bufort]

russbost

posted on 4/9/18 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
We used to use that headlight on the Furore Formula Car, (the unit that has combined dip & main beam); only reason we use something different now is that we use the similar light that is built into a housing (we used to have our own fibreglass housings made for the car for the earlier lights)

Link to ones we use now

Both lights throw similar beam patterns, both have flat top dip beam & both have an incredibly focused beam, such that if you shine the light against a flat surface, brick wall, garage door etc. you could literally draw a line across the top of the beam pattern, hence, you can direct the beam exactly where you want it without wasting loads of light spraying around in distorted patterns all over the place (& possibly blinding other road users)

I no longer own the company, but we still use those lights on our cars, they are a 55W halogen, they do offer an upgrade to a HID conversion, but, TBH you simply don't need the extra lumens, there's plenty of light from the standard unit

On a bike one light is plenty

The other one you show sounds a bit odd, they describe it as low/high projector fog light - a fog light is NOT a high low beam, so somewhat contradictory

See below for a couple of shots of the beam pattern sorry I don't have any video, this is from the light from Furore you've pictured

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bufort

posted on 5/9/18 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
We used to use that headlight on the Furore Formula Car, (the unit that has combined dip & main beam); only reason we use something different now is that we use the similar light that is built into a housing (we used to have our own fibreglass housings made for the car for the earlier lights)

Brilliant. I couldn't have asked for a better reply. Yep, that beam looks perfect, bright, clear top line and not too focused on one spot (wide beam pattern). I'm going to be mounting it in my own carbon fibre bodywork so the plin one is better for that.

Thank you very much Russbost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.