Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electronic speedo install info
r1_pete

posted on 13/7/19 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Electronic speedo install info

I’m looking at fitting an electronic speedo to replace the juddery worn out cable driven one.

I’m interested to see how people have fitted the trigger, I think on the prop close to the gearbox is my favoured location, does anyone have any advice or examples as to how its done?

Cheers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 14/7/19 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
My car has the sensor mounted on the diff and uses the prop flange bolts instead of magnets . Easier in my case than at the gearbox end of the prop. It is possible, in some cases, to replace a speedo cable with a sensor , might be worth looking into?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/7/19 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
If the speedo you buy it compatible using an electronic drive where the cable goes in the gearbox is neater and more reliable in my experience
Schrodinger

posted on 14/7/19 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've used this https://www.burtonpower.com/revotec-electronic-speedo-adaptor-ford-gearbox-revt9-a.html
and this https://www.burtonpower.com/ford-electronic-speedo-sensor-revfss.html

Keith
Aviemore

r1_pete

posted on 14/7/19 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

I managed to find a gearbox to replace some of what I had stolen, but, it doesn’t have a speedo drive at all, so an external sensor needed, a diff mounted pickup sounds doable.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 14/7/19 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I fixed mine at the diff input flange, used 5mm steel plate for the bracket. It's not going anywhere
CosKev3

posted on 14/7/19 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine uses the driveshaft bolts on the sierra rear diff,all evenly spaced so works spot on.
CosKev3

posted on 14/7/19 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

That's mine,Koso sensor and dash

r1_pete

posted on 14/7/19 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, prop shaft bolts it is I recon..
Angel Acevedo

posted on 18/7/19 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Late to the party, but if you have ABS ring equipped uprights (or axle) you could use that.
My diff has them but I´ll be using the gearbox speed sensor.
I have a Acewell Speedo and have wired for Box sensor and Diff Input Flange mounted pick up.
As a last resource, I may extend the wires to the ABS ring and use that.... I hope this is not necessary.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

posted on 18/7/19 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have a jubilee clip that traps a magnet to the propshaft, diff end, as the diff is solid mounted to the chassis. ( IRS )

The magnet acts as one trigger point and the clamp screw acts as a second. 180 deg apart. Balance wise they cancel each other out.

Wasn't expecting the double trigger thing so when I went for the test run I poodled down to the village with the speedo reading 120 mph.
The beauty of electronic speedo's is the ability to adjust.

Paul G

SJ

posted on 18/7/19 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is on the prop with a combination of a cable tie and epoxy at the gearbox end. The cable tie gives the mechanical strength and the epoxy keeps it all in position.

Works perfectly and has been on for many years now.

I placed the cable tie head opposite the magnet in an attempt to disrupt prob balance as little as possible.

Stu

[Edited on 18/7/19 by SJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.