Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Electronic Ignition
dnmalc

posted on 1/1/21 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Electronic Ignition

I am trying to cobble together an ignition system to get my engine running on the standard carbs. I have a range of components it can be based upon but at this stage I am not sure I have anything which will constitute a complete system. I have:-

the hall effect dizzy but no inductive dizzy.
the original coil and also the latter coil pack,
the sierra ignition module EDIS4 and 83BB12A199B3A

I know that the simplest solution would be based upon the 6 wire 83BB12A199B3A if I could find an inductive dizzy, but as these are becoming rare would it work with the Hall effect dizzy?

If not, I wondered if it is possible to use the EDIS4, the hall effect dizzy and either coil option but without the need for a trigger wheel, VRS and EEC module?

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/1/21 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I would ditch all that nonsense and just fit a new electronic dizzy and matching coil like one of these

Ebay link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 2/1/21 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
If not, I wondered if it is possible to use the EDIS4, the hall effect dizzy and either coil option but without the need for a trigger wheel, VRS and EEC module?

No - the EDIS4 is looking for the timing signal you get from a VR sensor and 36-1 trigger wheel running at crank speed (its a wasted spark system so it doesn't care which half of the cycle cylinder 1 is on - it fires on both)

Ford did make a standalone equivalent to the EDIS4 - look for an 'ESC' module - it looks similar (sometimes with a red case, but the ones I've found were black), but has a Vac. connection and doesn't require an ECU - you can still find these, but they were never all that common as they were mostly on early 90's fiesta's and similar (1.3 and 1.6 HCS engines I think, these are a good option for OE plug leads for the coilpack )
this still needs a VR sensor with a 36-1 trigger wheel.

You could run the engine on the EDIS4 with a trigger wheel, VR sensor and coil pack - but this will give you a static 10° advance (i.e ford's built in 'limp home mode' )
this is a great way to get it up and running - but then you'll need to add some kind of ECU to control the advance if you want to drive the car
a megajolt has been favorite for this for years now - and can use either a MAP sensor or a TPS (MAP sensor is easiest for single carb's, TPS is easier for multiple carb's) to give you a 3D ignition map (gives better throttle response and fuel economy than a 2D map)

maybe keep an eye open for an older MJ ECU - they still come up for sale every now and then - just note you'll the right USB-serial adapter (or a PC with a real serial port)
the new version seems to have had a fair few updates (USB, built-in rev limiter etc..) but its a bit more expensive than the old ones

there are a few other standalone spark only ECU's around, but most don't use the EDIS4 and so tend to cost a bit more again

just note that a trigger wheel is nothing fancy and shouldn't cost more than ~£20 (I can send you a CAD file if you want to get one cut yourself)
the VR sensor should be less than £5 and you'll find a suitable one on almost any ford petrol of the era (HCS, Zetec E, Zetec SE etc....)
and the mounting bracket doesn't need to be anything fancy - just stiff enough not to vibrate and upset the gap for the sensor
plenty places will sell you a 'complete kit' but most cost a lot more than sourcing yourself

quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc
I know that the simplest solution would be based upon the 6 wire 83BB12A199B3A if I could find an inductive dizzy, but as these are becoming rare would it work with the Hall effect dizzy?

In a word - No

the hall effect sensor in the later dizzy is just a crank position sensor running at ½ crank speed to give a signal to the OE ford ECU (EEC-IV)

these guys were doing some stand alone systems using the Hall effect type's casting: https://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/ / FB linky
from memory they were using a much more modern amp setup than most with a single dry coil
I've had a few bits and bobs from them before - great guys to deal with, well worth a call

just note that most aftermarket setup's have the vac. advance removed to make it easier when setting up multiple carb's - this makes them only a 2D ignition map

[Edited on 2/1/2021 by mcerd1]

-

dnmalc

posted on 22/1/21 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the reply mercd1 reply with VR and trigger wheel seems to be the option i will go with.
dnmalc

posted on 22/1/21 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the reply mercd1 reply with VR and trigger wheel seems to be the option i will go with.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.