Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to rewire your car, (+with a cooling fan + override switch)
snowy2

posted on 28/4/12 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
How to rewire your car, (+with a cooling fan + override switch)

http://www.andersensmith.freeserve.co.uk/wiringloom6.pdf

Its seems to be a subject that comes up regularly on here so i have decided to give it its own post....
I hope it is of help to some out there.

also here is a further article on fitting relays (wrapped up in a method of fitting a cooling fan over ride switch and fan warning lamp)

http://www.godspeed.me/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1289

both written by me so feel to ask questions...

Dave

[Edited on 29/4/12 by snowy2]

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

steve m

posted on 28/4/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
That will be very helpful for al the guys on here trying to wire up a kit car from scratch

Why did you not post this 14 years ago!

steve

imp paul

posted on 28/4/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
thanks it looks very helpful and a lot of time must have gone in to it
HowardB

posted on 28/4/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
that is great, and good timing too, as after the plumbing, the wiring is the next job.

thanks

Perhaps ChrisW can make it a *sticky*?

[Edited on 28/4/12 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

snowy2

posted on 28/4/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
That will be very helpful for al the guys on here trying to wire up a kit car from scratch

Why did you not post this 14 years ago!

steve

it used to be on this site (or the original one) about 4-5 Years ago and the first version of this article was in a club magazine in 1996.

lewis

posted on 28/4/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's a great write up thanks,can this be made a sticky for all to see & so it does not get lost.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 29/4/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
A very good, helpful & very informative piece But ........... I do question one part, not all "scotch locks" are created equal and as such they should not all be derided.

quote:

DO NOT under any circumstances use scotch locks (or similar) to make any connection whatsoever on your wiring loom. And if by some horrible quirk of fate you do have to use one, make it as temporary as possible and completely remove it from the loom, and make a proper spur joint at the earliest opportunity. I am sure that under ideal and damp free conditions it will be the case that scotch locks ( or similar) will make very good and long lasting connections. However my years as a mechanic, fitting alarms and tow bars etc. and then subsequently fault finding on them lends me to believe that these conditions do not exist in the automotive industry. From personal experience it seems that scotch locks eventually have a similar effect as slowly hammering flat a section of water pipe would do, so benefit from bitter experience, and take my advise on this matter. I cannot stress this point enough!

Maybe in the past using the horrible cheapo scotch locks.

But a if a joint is terminated properly using the correct equipment it is considered a perfectly acceptable joint, they are even used in some OEM commercial/municipal vehicle builds. Such as Heil, Faun, Rotopress, Scarab, to name a few.

These "proper" 3m scotch locks are filled with a Vaseline type liquid that seals the joint, and if there is adequate strain relief used, these joints are very good.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

snowy2

posted on 29/4/12 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was speaking generaly as a mechanic most folks who would be thinking of rewiring their car would not go for the types you show. also they would not be too carefull how they are fitted or if they are the right size.
most faults found on tow bars and alarms could be traced to the use of these connectors. if your rewiring your car why use them and ask for problems if not used correctly? Especially if doing it correctly is easier and more reliable?
Most folks are amateurs and some jobs are daunting so these articles were written with them in mind.
as i have said most (90%+) of electrical faults on aftermarket equipment could be cured by removing the scotch locks.......as i say in the article they are perfectly good when used correctly. it is very difficult to do so in the automotive world.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 29/4/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
I was speaking generaly as a mechanic most folks who would be thinking of rewiring their car would not go for the types you show. also they would not be too carefull how they are fitted or if they are the right size.
most faults found on tow bars and alarms could be traced to the use of these connectors. if your rewiring your car why use them and ask for problems if not used correctly? Especially if doing it correctly is easier and more reliable?
Most folks are amateurs and some jobs are daunting so these articles were written with them in mind.
as i have said most (90%+) of electrical faults on aftermarket equipment could be cured by removing the scotch locks.......as i say in the article they are perfectly good when used correctly. it is very difficult to do so in the automotive world.

I fully agree with you, but maybe it might be prudent to inform the non-professional, who is thinking of undertaking their own wiring, of some of the higher quality, more acceptable types of consumables that are available, instead of only (correctly) advising against those horrible cheapo style scotch locks.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

snowy2

posted on 29/4/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank

I fully agree with you, but maybe it might be prudent to inform the non-professional, who is thinking of undertaking their own wiring, of some of the higher quality, more acceptable types of consumables that are available, instead of only (correctly) advising against those horrible cheapo style scotch locks.

Again i could have advised the use of the better quality ones.....except i am also tracing faults on our fleet of new (2 year old) hgv trailers which use these connectors frequently for the LED side lights, and after replacing the INOP side lights i have checked some of them and found them to be OK, it was the connectors that were faulty....... (not all of them, but enough)

My advice stands.

Besides i offer this article as a helpful aide to the hobby i have been involved with for over 20 years now and i have noticed that electrics are the most frequently quoted "problem". i am not affiliated with any company and have no axe to grind, nor do i feel i should give any extra advise on alternative connection devices when those i recommend are easy to get, cheap to buy and reliable in use.
Again why would you use these "snap" connectors? they are primarily to save time in commercial applications, over a week they can make a considerable time saving and the connections will last as least as long as the warranty. We are building cars for our selves and we expect the best job we are capable of. If electrics are not your strong point your fault finding isn't going to be any better. You don't need to save time in your build (an hour or so in a build of several hundred hours is no saving at all.) so why not do it properly and save the potential problems for the commercial operators and their time saving dodges.

Dont get me wrong, i not having a pop i like the banter, and a healthy debate can lead to a better understanding of the issues.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 29/4/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Again why would you use these "snap" connectors? they are primarily to save time in commercial applications, over a week they can make a considerable time saving and the connections will last as least as long as the warranty. We are building cars for our selves and we expect the best job we are capable of. If electrics are not your strong point your fault finding isn't going to be any better. You don't need to save time in your build (an hour or so in a build of several hundred hours is no saving at all.) so why not do it properly and save the potential problems for the commercial operators and their time saving dodges.

Dont get me wrong, i not having a pop i like the banter, and a healthy debate can lead to a better understanding of the issues.

Again I agree a healthy debate to push the understanding greatly is a good thing, my thoughts on this, for the non-professional, that the scotchloc type of connection might be a "easy solution" as opposed to a non insulated crimped joint, or a soldered and covered in heat shrink one.

Mind you I now await the debate on the +/-, for and against a soldered joint as opposed to a crimped joint !!!!!

snowy2

posted on 29/4/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I use some soldered connections on my car, however i don't recommend soldering for those who have never done it as its easy to get it wrong (or at least a poor joint that will fail) also for some applications in cars they are a liability as they are prone to cracking due to the vibration.

snowy2

posted on 1/5/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I have just rewired my own car after an extensive winter rebuild and some (read almost everything) modifications, i used the method described above, the dash was rewired in an afternoon sat in my front room comfortable and warm.....
the rest of the car was done in most of the following afternoon. If you don't like the idea of the "chock" blocks finish the wiring and then replace them with proper terminals. That said in 4 years since the first time i did the job and over 20,000 miles i never suffered any problems as a result of using them (they did not work loose) they did allow me to modify my wiring as i altered various things (like fitting an electric fan)

and here is the fuse box,

once the loom is all wrapped it will look nice and tidy

snowy2

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just keeping it current. Chris has said he will make the post a sticky.

britishtrident

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just keeping it current. Chris has said he will make the post a sticky.

Why ? this is such a simple issue the forum is clogged up with stickies already really time we had a clearance and they were all culled.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

snowy2

posted on 9/5/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently several folks have asked and besides folks don't do searches. if its not on page one they ask the question again. Your right it is simple, but a lot of builders really struggle with electrics.

Peteff

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Save the .pdf to your drive and read it when you want to, job done.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

snowy2

posted on 17/5/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone here used this method? ....other than me that is, i know of one or two for sure, but some feed back will help me make it simpler if it needs it.

snowy2

posted on 5/7/12 at 04:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just putting this in a more visible place ;-)

snowy2

posted on 25/11/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
just putting this at the front of the list for easier finding...

RK

posted on 21/4/13 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
Old post, I know. I know what to do, but the execution looks like crap, and it all falls apart in no time. I need a professional rewire, but don't know where to turn where I live.
snowy2

posted on 21/4/13 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Its as tidy as you need to make it as for falling apart in no time, my current car has done 22000 miles with no problems (over 4 years) the first car i did using this system back in 1989 (and its still on the road) still has the wiring loom in place (the new owner claims never to have touched it as he doesn't understand electrics...) it had done 18000 miles when he bought it in 1991, it gets used most summers and he uses it quite a bit.
For the article i left it "rough" looking to show how easy it could be to put together, it takes half an hour to wrap the loom in proper self amalgamating loom tape.
as for using "chock" blocks in part of the loom it was always the intention of mine to replace them with "proper" connectors but if i am honest they are the least troubling part of the loom in use, they tend to be the bullet connectors, which is why i don't recommend using them.
if your building a car wiring up your car is part of the build process and a fair few builders need an easy way to do it. if your building something like a Westfied where every thing arrives in a box ready to "go" can you really say you have built the car or just assembled it? My good friend has a Mk3 Cortina he stripped and restored but he doesn't claim he has been building a car.
So this article was offered up for those who are looking to say they built their car from scratch and want to do as much themselves as they can. It also has the practical benefit of saving you a hundred pounds or so.

hootsno1

posted on 21/4/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys hope you dont mind me butting in here but Eddie99 on here, will have a very good quality looms at stoneligh this year, to work with Sierra stalks and come with relays and fuse box all wired in all.
You will need to do is lay the loom in you car cut the tail ends to length connect your lights and secure the loom and off you go.
Im away this weekend but will be home monday night and will put on a picture of the loom that i have for my car if anyone is interested

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

snowy2

posted on 26/4/14 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
This question has come up again and i thought it would help to move it to the front of the posts lists again to help some find it again

Rosco86

posted on 30/9/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect, just subscribing

My Build Thread

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.