Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC noise
stevea

posted on 27/3/14 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
BEC noise

Hi, In the next few months I intend to buy a 7 solely for track days and am quite taken by the idea of a bike engine. My question is, what sort of static and drive by tests do BEC's produce? I know it will vary a fair bit but I think it would be a good idea to get some results from owners to see if a BEC will work for me.

I'm up north and my local tracks; Croft, Cadwell, Elvington have fairly strict noise policies so I'd like to try and get something sub 100db static. Is this a realistic expectation?

Thanks

Steve

raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 27/3/14 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a straight through akrapovic can 102db without the baffle in.

I have done Blyton / Cadwell and oulton all fine as they are 105db
A normal kit car exhaust will be a lot quieter.

adithorp

posted on 27/3/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
My car usually gets between 96-98dB static. As most of the tracks I use are normally 105 limit (Oulton, Blyton, Anglesea, Cadwell) it passes without having to be too carefull on the revs. I've no idea what it is drive-by but I've never been pulled in for it.

Having the silencer in the Furys side pod probably helps and it's a longer than normal silencer. The exhaust broke at Blyton just after the collector and it still didn't trip the drive-by meter, though they did hear the change in note.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

yellowcab

posted on 27/3/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa engine & manifold with a standard Aprillia RSV Mille silencer is 103dB static @ 7krpm
stevea

posted on 27/3/14 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looking fairly good so far. I guess the option is there for me to put a bigger silencer on and deal with the slight drop in bhp.

Is induction noise the biggest problem for drive by?

adithorp

posted on 27/3/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Induction noise is an issue if using an open foam filter. Some form of enclosed filter/airbox is quieter.

A bigger silencer will help. Largest diameter and length you can get away with and (if a straight through rather than baffled) shouldn't make any significant difference to power; The exhaust tuning is compromised by the available length anyway. At least with a 7 you can go bigger; With a Fury the side-pod limits the possible diameter.

Overall BECs get through noise testing OK but you have to avoid places with low limits, like Donnington, etc.

mark chandler

posted on 27/3/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Induction noise killed mine at Goodwood, they are very strict, just squeezed through at Bedford.
GreigM

posted on 27/3/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Under 100db will be difficult - if you are "honest" about rev limits I doubt you will pass at a 3/4 max test. After struggling at a 105db day at Oulton when they insisted on 7500rpm for the test I bought a large silencer and still only got down to 101db which realistically is as low as you'll get.
jelly head

posted on 27/3/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i struggled with the noise limit for the IVA and only got through after re-packing the (pretty large) silencer and slipping a wire wool rat up the pipe!!

Perhaps some silencers are better than others though?

quote:
Originally posted by GreigM
Under 100db will be difficult - if you are "honest" about rev limits I doubt you will pass at a 3/4 max test. After struggling at a 105db day at Oulton when they insisted on 7500rpm for the test I bought a large silencer and still only got down to 101db which realistically is as low as you'll get.

adithorp

posted on 27/3/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was 98dB last time out at Oulton. They wanted 8000rpm but I peaked out at 9000.

doobrychat

posted on 27/3/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
does my head in noise testing at tracks... bikes:- 600cc or 750cc have a 7000rpm noise test.. 1000cc and up are noise tested at 5000rpm and i have done a kazillion bike trackdays... turn up in a 1000cc car and then its 7500rpm noise test...

who makes this stuff up.. MSV, one rule for one and another for another..

stevea

posted on 27/3/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/3/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Adithorp's R1, from what I have read earlier, effortlessly produces a million horsepower, silently.

My experiences are not exactly the same. Induction noise drive-by is your enemy at circuits so phonically equipped. The NIMBY''s have noise meters in their village gardens, just down from Goodwood, and yes, their hands are on the phone to the Council when your car records. Goodwood is a bit difficult.
Croft is difficult, as is Combe (very, for the same reasons) Cadwell less so. It may be small, but if you want to make a lot of noise, Llandow, or if you fancy getting on the Belfact ferry, Kirkistown is surrounded by lovely tolerant people. Pembrey, however, is somewhat strict, as is Brands.

Statically, 102dB for me has been the achievable limit. It's the drive-by though. At Combe, the GSXR750 powered Westfield recorded 110dB on the pit straight noise meter, all 16,000rpm of it. The R1 engine faired no better, the Hayabusa car (this year) was black flagged at Brands (yet sailed through the static test).

An induction box will help, dramatically, but (in my experience) it's all a bit difficult.

stevea

posted on 27/3/14 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
One of my mates manages Croft so im gonna be spending a fair bit of time there in the future. So making that db limit is one I need to get to. Although there are a lot of 105db there days now.
Nick DV

posted on 28/3/14 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevea
Looking fairly good so far. I guess the option is there for me to put a bigger silencer on and deal with the slight drop in bhp.

Is induction noise the biggest problem for drive by?

Quite simply, induction noise is the killer! Airbox is a must

"The force will be with you, always!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.