Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dash advice please - need to kick ideas about
timB

posted on 23/6/18 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
dash advice please - need to kick ideas about

This is what I've got:
scruffyish aluminium caterham dash: inc two 80mm holes and three 52mm holes.
two 80mm caterham tacho's. I don't have the connectors though, and I don't have a wiring diagram
a vdo 52mm oil temp gauge, a rather pointless 52mm clock

So i need at least a speedo (gps?) and a loom connector for one of the tachos and 3 gauges e.g. fuel, water, oil (press/temp/both?)

What's my easiest route to getting an mot? 3 cheap chinese gauges and a gps speedo or a digidash of some format? (and sell the tachos of ebay)

I like the caterham tacho because it's got indicators and hi-beam lights on it already but I need a quick win otherwise another year will go by with my car sat on the drive,

Any advice welcome, Cheers

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 23/6/18 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Quick win.... Wire in the caterham tachometer. Ignore the extra holes. get the mot. Drive and tinker.

Technically does a car need a speedo for a mot?????

Hunt web for wiring diagram - prod me in a day or two if you've had no luck with the age / make of the tachometer and I'll hunt.
[Edited on 23/6/18 by MikeR]

timB

posted on 23/6/18 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I'm very pro that. I don't have the plug that connects the tacho

see: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AN3_f7_YkMw/WyVBG9OdnMI/AAAAAAAAUzo/WQ_rQSlzEUoPAO_21ScxfLBNFE1ZBt9EgCKgBGAs/s1600/IMG_20180609_100354.jpg

If I knew what the plug was called I'd buy one and wire the tacho in :/

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 23/6/18 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Contact the manufacture -they're based in Wales and the website implies they're happy to help.

technical@caigauge.com

Edited to add, I found this page with instructions for the different devices they make.
https://www.caigauge.com/product-instructions

Toys2

posted on 24/6/18 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Contact the manufacture -they're based in Wales and the website implies they're happy to help.

technical@caigauge.com

Edited to add, I found this page with instructions for the different devices they make.
https://www.caigauge.com/product-instructions

Thanks for that Mike, I've been looking for those instructions too, for and old speedo, but it didn't have any markings on it, but it's definitely one of theirs!

To the OP, though not ideal, it's possible to use individual connector pins, sleeved with heatshrink, fiddly but it does work

timB

posted on 24/6/18 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. Thanks for the link. I'll drop them a line.
timB

posted on 27/6/18 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, Caterham and CaiGauge haven't replied (yet?). Anyone got any ideas on the name of the connector? I guess I could try electronic forums...

cheers

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 27/6/18 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried calling CAI? I'm guessing you'll get at least some response.

My worry is knowing which pin does what. I know the info I find tells you colours but you need to map that too pins. The plug is likely to be a standard part - you need a friendly electronics forum.

(Have to say I think the gauges are great having read up on them.)

timB

posted on 7/7/18 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks @Toys2 I could wire in the individual pins, but that would be tricky, and as @MikeR says I still don't know what each pin does.

I've had no joy with emailing CAI and Caterham so I'm thinking about putting them back on ebay and buying a new gauge set (£500 once I've got all the bits) or a digidash - which feels like starting again

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 7/7/18 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried speaking to them and saying you want to buy the cable?

Have you tried contacting caterham owners and asking them for the mapping to the pins?

How much do you want for the gauge? Seems to good to give in

Edit to add..
Done a Google and found a wiring diagram in a build manual. perhaps you can find the right one for yours.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://uk.caterhamcars.com/sites/default/files/content/uk/documents/master_-_caterham_cars_-_assembly_guide_-_february_20 15b.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi5x8yBkY3cAhUkCMAKHeJQBngQFggTMAc&usg=AOvVaw1sXoBoPeYmuSD1MKsjnwQe

[Edited on 7/7/18 by MikeR]

timB

posted on 9/7/18 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. CAI have gotten back to me with a mini-loom.

Next (lesser) problem. It turns out the tachos are configured for 1 pulses every other engine rev, 8.33 Hz per 1000rpm. Can I alter my powerspark ignition module (Motocraft dissie) to work with that? I'll email the powerspark guys.

thanks

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/7/18 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
damn - guess that means you won't sell it. I like it so much i'm actually looking at making my own with an arduino / stepper motor / lcd and LEDs!
timB

posted on 10/7/18 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Why arduino rather than rPi? When I look at the prices of digidashes I wondered how easy it would be to knock up a pi based equivalent, or an android based one. I'd be up for having a go but first! I need an mot
gremlin1234

posted on 11/7/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timB
Cool. CAI have gotten back to me with a mini-loom.

Next (lesser) problem. It turns out the tachos are configured for 1 pulses every other engine rev, 8.33 Hz per 1000rpm. Can I alter my powerspark ignition module (Motocraft dissie) to work with that? I'll email the powerspark guys.

thanks
sounds like its expecting a trigger pulse from one of the ht leads, (probably wrap a wire round one as the detector)
ask the people who you got the mini loom from.

edit:
have you looked under the black grommet on the back of the tacho? it may have configuration switches there.

[Edited on 11/7/18 by gremlin1234]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 11/7/18 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timB
Why arduino rather than rPi? When I look at the prices of digidashes I wondered how easy it would be to knock up a pi based equivalent, or an android based one. I'd be up for having a go but first! I need an mot

I seriously thought about pi, and saw on the web some people have done some stuff. Arduino swung it on the almost instant on (pi can take a minute). Built in static memory - pi writes to the SD card which with the is using it as well will wear out. Arduino memory will wear out as well but it's got 100,000 official cycles, more in reality and I only need to write when powered off. Less other stuff happening on Arduino - a just my code, no worries about other processes suddenly hogging CPU and missing tachometer or speed readings. Arduinoe c programming friendly - which as I did c commercially for 10 years means in a a few nights I've knocked up code to drive two dials and an LCD. Just need to sort out physical inputs now and debug.

timB

posted on 11/7/18 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
interesting... I'm doing some ROS (rpi) stuff at work at the moment. Basically, the sensor publishes info and the dial subscribes to the same info. It's all very neat, goes over http, I can use a pi and its display as my hub/router, wouldn't have to run wires (just need power)...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.