Board logo

vortx mazda - opinions?
sdh2903 - 20/5/15 at 05:00 PM

I'm getting the urge to get building again and on one of my ebay trawling sessions I noticed MNR are doing the vortx mazda starter kit at a stonking price. What are peoples opinions of the vortx chassis and bodywork quality? I've also heard a couple of stories of rear wishbone brackets failing, is this a concern or was it only an issue on earlier chassis?

To be honest the only reason I havent pulled the trigger straight away is the Mazda engine, to live up to my last Bec I want a car engine with 180-200 bhp and preferably N/A. Which kind of rules out the donor engine. My engine preference is a 2.0 duratec but not sure if it coupled to a mk3 mx5 box will fit in the vortx tunnel?

I plan on giving Mark a call tomorrow to have a chat but thought I'd gather some opinions first.

Cheers
steve

rash12 - 20/5/15 at 05:16 PM

speak to mike at roadrunner racing im sure that a mazda 1.8 with throttle bodies and canems ecu gives close to 180bhp

[Edited on 20/5/15 by rash12]

rash12 - 20/5/15 at 05:23 PM

Up from 148bhp standard to 178bhp a nice 30bhp increase from the ITB's and Canems ECU, now running full knock control as well as the VVT.

if you facebook road runner racing theres loads of maxda spec if your interested

theduck - 20/5/15 at 05:54 PM

I thought the standard 1.8 was about 130bhp? I dont see you gaining 50bhp from just a set of ITBs.

dubzter - 20/5/15 at 06:09 PM

the 1990-2005 (mk2.5) 1.8 from http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/mazda/mx-5/convertible-1990/

1.8i 2d (98)
7.7 secs
127 mph
140 bhp

1.8i 2d (01)
8.2 secs
127 mph
143 bhp

1.8i 2d (03)
8.2 secs
127 mph
143 bhp

1.8i 2d Auto (01)
10.6 secs
118 mph
139 bhp

1.8i 2d (94)
8.3 secs
123 mph
131 bhp

sdh2903 - 20/5/15 at 06:26 PM

The vortx is set up for the mk1 or mk2 so it's the 130bhp variant. Reading around throttle bodies do release some ponies bit figures vary from 145 bhp to 175 (optimistic I suspect).

Turbocharging would fit the bhp requirement but I'm not a huge fan of FI in a seven. Plus you can't beat a set of bodies at full chat for noise

coozer - 20/5/15 at 06:34 PM

And, you can't beat the pissssst-pooo at full chat!!!

theduck - 20/5/15 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
The vortx is set up for the mk1 or mk2 so it's the 130bhp variant. Reading around throttle bodies do release some ponies bit figures vary from 145 bhp to 175 (optimistic I suspect).

Turbocharging would fit the bhp requirement but I'm not a huge fan of FI in a seven. Plus you can't beat a set of bodies at full chat for noise

Shhhh that will bad for your business ;-)

rash12 - 20/5/15 at 06:45 PM

this is the print out from the rollers

[Edited on 20/5/15 by rash12]

sdh2903 - 20/5/15 at 07:16 PM

Any ideas of cost of the SR2 starter kit, prices not on website??

rash12 - 20/5/15 at 07:36 PM

not sure on up to date prices drop them an email they will get back to you roadrunnerracing@hotmail.co.uk

rdodger - 20/5/15 at 07:57 PM

How about a Mazda Vortex with an S2000 engine and box?

From what I understand the Road Runner is quite heavy and I'm sure I read somewhere that MNR are about to launch a new light weight chassis.

Maybe worth a conversation?

rdodger - 20/5/15 at 07:57 PM

Failing that supercharge the Mazda engine.

sdh2903 - 20/5/15 at 08:09 PM

I plan on giving mark a call tomorrow at some point for a chat. Ive also emailed roadrunner. I hadnt even really started looking properly until i found the MNR starter kit on ebay at 2695. Not far off the cost of a welded haynes chassis, bones, roll bar and bodywork!

Are there any off the shelf turbo/supercharger kits out there that anyone recommends for the mx5 motors ?

amalyos - 20/5/15 at 08:21 PM

You won't beat the quality of the MNR chassis. I've built 2 and in the process of a 3rd build.

rdodger - 20/5/15 at 08:35 PM

quote:
I plan on giving mark a call tomorrow at some point for a chat. Ive also emailed roadrunner. I hadnt even really started looking properly until i found the MNR starter kit on ebay at 2695. Not far off the cost of a welded haynes chassis, bones, roll bar and bodywork!

Are there any off the shelf turbo/supercharger kits out there that anyone recommends for the mx5 motors ?

http://trackdogracing.com/rotrex.aspx

hughpinder - 21/5/15 at 07:15 AM

Clairetoo on here has done conversions to fit the mazda 2.5 v6 into the mx5. As I remember those are lighter than the 1.6/1.8 engine and gave 200 bhp with throttle bodies. Not sure about the engine fitting though!
Regards
Hugh

velocitykendal - 21/5/15 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903Are there any off the shelf turbo/supercharger kits out there that anyone recommends for the mx5 motors ?

There's the Jackson Racing supercharger kits if you can find one and a chap on the MX5Nutz forum by the name of 'Sturovo' is making turbo manifolds at very reasonable prices. It seems you can get a lot of bang for your buck by going to the turbo route with a second-hand TD04 from a Scooby.

I think the main improvement for a N/A MX5 engine on ITBs is the torque more than the horses, but still it's a lot of cash for relatively small gains. My personal preference would be forced induction for that engine otherwise I'd go Duratec.

adithorp - 21/5/15 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
Clairetoo on here has done conversions to fit the mazda 2.5 v6 into the mx5. As I remember those are lighter than the 1.6/1.8 engine and gave 200 bhp with throttle bodies. Not sure about the engine fitting though!
Regards
Hugh

Closer to 250 I believe and the sound...!

rdodger - 21/5/15 at 01:52 PM

I think you may struggle with the V6 option

The starter is positioned gearbox side and may end up be sat in the passenger foot well.

http://crapengineering.weebly.com/

gaz_gaz - 21/5/15 at 04:20 PM

Check out G19 Engineering...

Doug uses this forum but I can't remember his username.
Does alot of bike turbo conversions aswell as a lot of MX5 turbo kits at superb prices.

gaz_gaz - 26/5/15 at 09:58 AM

What's the major difference between the Vortx Mazda and the Vortx RT+??

sdh2903 - 26/5/15 at 10:19 AM

As far as I can tell. Diff mounts for mx5 diff plus all uprights brakes steering column and obviously engine and gearbox mounts.

I'm down at Mnr on Thurs and its on my list of questions to ask.

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 01:24 PM

Well visited Mnr this morning, very helpful bunch of guys, came away 3 grand lighter and a September delivery date
Seems a long way off but it suits me as we are in the busy season at work.

Couple of decisions to make, colour, it's either white or blue I think. And to cage or not to cage that is the question......

Now just need to find me a donor car that's in this half of the country

ash_hammond - 28/5/15 at 03:12 PM

Here is my mx5 based MAC#1.

1.6 Engine, TD04L Turbo, Emerald ECU, Red RX8 Injectors, Custom Rad and Inter Cooler.

I'm hoping this will see 180 bhp.

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 06:09 PM

Looks a nice build. I've started researching forced induction, I wasn't keen on the idea at first but I'm warming to it.

The tdo4 your using, which one you gone for is it the impreza one? Ive been wondering which to go for to spool up quickly with minimal lag. Gt28 or tdo4 seem to be the weapons of choice but with so many variations of part numbers and turbine sizes my heads spinning. No pun intended

Ugg10 - 28/5/15 at 06:24 PM

I think this guy is now producing kits

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=195792

He also has a Facebook page.

gaz_gaz - 28/5/15 at 06:29 PM

Any ideas on a completed build cost without turbo?

[Edited on 28/5/15 by gaz_gaz]

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 06:59 PM

Mnr do a comprehensive kit with everything for 7999 maybe a little less with the current offer on the starter kit. Add another 1k for iva and reg. So 9k possibly??

gaz_gaz - 28/5/15 at 07:11 PM

That was sort of my thinking. 9k then upgrades as and when.
Somethings couldn't wait, like that cracking looking rear diffuser they do!!

rdodger - 28/5/15 at 07:15 PM

How comprehensive is the kit?

I would also price in donor part refurb inc replacement discs, pads, calipers, diff bushes, ball joints, cv boots, tyres etc

I would recon on nearer 12k by the time you have instruments, mirrors.............

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 07:35 PM

Allegedly it's a complete comprehensive kit including all donor parts. You can use the donor instruments, have a look at what big Lee did

Description
Description

Yes I added the diffuser to the order and also a full cage and side bars, but I'm having second thoughts about the cage option.

daniel mason - 28/5/15 at 08:09 PM

Keep the cage and side bars! The Mnr cage is nice looking as long as they've measured you correctly.and the extra safety is nice!

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 08:31 PM

Yes I was measured up for it.

Compared it To one they had in the workshop and it wasnt mad tall looking like some I've seen.

daniel mason - 28/5/15 at 08:38 PM

You won't go wrong with the mnr!
All you need to do is drop a bike motor in the mx5 ready engine bay and your good to go

sdh2903 - 28/5/15 at 08:57 PM

Done a bec. Time for something a little lower revving.

Ugg10 - 28/5/15 at 09:00 PM

You could always build it using the mx5 donor and then do a clairetoo klde 2.5l v6 conversion!

micksalt - 1/6/15 at 08:01 AM

The complete kit including donor parts is now £9,995 according to the leaflet I picked up from Chris at Stoneleigh. The 'just add donor' kit is £7,995, but this will require the sourcing of an MX-5, stripping, disposing of the bits you don't want then refurbishing parts. Thankfully my lady agreed to increase the budget to take into account this latest price rise.

[Edited on 1/6/2015 by micksalt]

russtik - 1/6/15 at 09:52 AM

quote:
I've started researching forced induction, I wasn't keen on the idea at first but I'm warming to it.

Out of interest have you driven a MX5-engined kit car? If you haven't I'd certainly recommend trying to get a go in one soon as if you want to go forced induction then you may as well crack on with that route from the off IMHO.

Before acquiring my current set up I drove a very nicely built Westfield with a standard N/A 1.8 MK2 engine and was seriously underwhelmed with the power delivery. Admittedly my previous car had 200+BHP but I had lowered my expectations and it wasn't doing it for me. I now have a MK1 1.6 engined car with a GT2860RS knocking out c.250BHP and that's about right for me. It's not laggy and it's mapped with a progressive boost delivery so it's really driveable.

sdh2903 - 1/6/15 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russtik
quote:
I've started researching forced induction, I wasn't keen on the idea at first but I'm warming to it.

Out of interest have you driven a MX5-engined kit car? If you haven't I'd certainly recommend trying to get a go in one soon as if you want to go forced induction then you may as well crack on with that route from the off IMHO.

Before acquiring my current set up I drove a very nicely built Westfield with a standard N/A 1.8 MK2 engine and was seriously underwhelmed with the power delivery. Admittedly my previous car had 200+BHP but I had lowered my expectations and it wasn't doing it for me. I now have a MK1 1.6 engined car with a GT2860RS knocking out c.250BHP and that's about right for me. It's not laggy and it's mapped with a progressive boost delivery so it's really driveable.

No I haven't driven a kit with standard engine, but I can tell from driving the donor-shed home it won't be enough to get the juices flowing especially as my last car was a frenetic BEC.

So I've narrowed my options down to, keep the donor engine (mk1 1.8) and turbo/super charge. Your setup sounds ideal however I would be happy with 200 bhp to start with. Or get a mk2.5 vvt engine and go down the throttle bodies route as roadrunner have with their latest demo car for a solid normally aspirated 180 bhp.

I'm leaning heavily towards the turbo option at present especially as the engine in the donor is its best bit, ran sweet as a nut and has only covered 75k.

velocitykendal - 1/6/15 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Or get a mk2.5 vvt engine and go down the throttle bodies route as roadrunner have with their latest demo car for a solid normally aspirated 180 bhp.

I'm sure that setup is a big improvement but it's still a fairly hefty outlay (aftermarket ECU + Jenveys etc.) and you've kind of hit your tuning ceiling at around 170-odd BHP. If that's enough for you now and in the future then fine but if you suspect you'll want more then it'll hit your wallet as you'll be into head work, cams, valves, lightened everything, re-map... and it probably still won't give you that much more in horses. Blink Motorsport are known for their N/A tuning BTW (http://www.blinkmotorsport.com/packages.html)

Slapping a turbo on it will easily get you 200 BHP and a whole lot more if you want it. I haven't used these guys but might be worth having a chat with G19 Engineering as someone mentioned before (http://www.g19engineering.com/view.php?cat=25&ViewProduct=67& ;page=1). If you want to stay naturally aspirated then personally I'd look at another engine like a Duratec/MZR perhaps?

[Edited on 1/6/15 by velocitykendal]

sdh2903 - 1/6/15 at 04:29 PM

All good points. To be honest all the net trawling is pointing me towards forced induction. The 2k for jenveys and an ecu could get me a nice setup with lots of potential.
Russ thanks for the u2u.

I will be sticking with the Mazda engine either way as I promised myself I won't be hacking the chassis to fit alternative engines I did this on my last build and I ended up changing a lot of the front end.

micksalt - 2/6/15 at 07:43 AM

If you're going towards forced induction, speak to Tazzzzman1 on this forum, and he'll point you in the direction of the guy that did the supercharger conversion on his Roadrunner SR2. Also worth speaking to Ashley Ottley (not sure of his username on here, sorry) who did a DIY supercharger install.

russtik - 2/6/15 at 09:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
If you're going towards forced induction, speak to Tazzzzman1 on this forum, and he'll point you in the direction of the guy that did the supercharger conversion on his Roadrunner SR2.

He's already been mentioned (Richard's fabrication work) by Ugg10 in a previous post, you can also find him here:

https://www.facebook.com/red7autoengineering

quote:
Originally posted by micksalt
Also worth speaking to Ashley Ottley (not sure of his username on here, sorry) who did a DIY supercharger install.

I seem to remember Mike at Road Runner supplied Ashley with his supercharger kit (I may be wrong), you can find Ashley's build thread here:

Ashley's build on Pistonheads

He goes by the same username on here I do believe.

sdh2903 - 2/6/15 at 12:18 PM

Cheers for all the links guys. Plenty of reading to be done. Least I've plenty of time before I need to make my mind up

micksalt - 13/8/15 at 12:39 PM

I'm sticking to naturally aspiration at the moment, but installing a Canems ECU to open up future possibilities. Also, to me at least, an aftermarket ECU seems to simplify things quite considerably.