Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build your own single-seater on a budget
handyandy

posted on 19/1/09 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
like it like it, can you imagine the reaction it would get by other road users
picture the scenario.... getting pulled over by old bill " who do you think you are , Damon Hills father?" lol

gotta have one of those!!

andy

DIY Si

posted on 19/1/09 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
like it like it, can you imagine the reaction it would get by other road users
picture the scenario.... getting pulled over by old bill " who do you think you are , Damon Hills father?" lol

gotta have one of those!!

andy

I'd take it to Tesco for a pint of milk, just for the fun of it!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Simon

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

Yeah, but there's no boot

ATB

Simon

DIY Si

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si

Yeah, but there's no boot

ATB

Simon

Maybe not, but I don't think I'd care! You could always cable tie it on somewhere!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

designer

posted on 20/1/09 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think it was Triple C mag who did a Lotus FF in the late 60's for the road.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting that Amazon have scooped even the Haynes website, maybe that's why Chris hasn't commented (yet).

From the length of the engine bay it looks like it would take a CEC mounted longitudinally assuming a suitable transaxle. Though the rendering (FWIW) looks like a BEC chain drive.

Would look better with one of your seats (and/or a headrest) Mr Triton.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

balidey

posted on 20/1/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, interesting.

So with headlights I suppose its going to be road legal. Just what myself and countless others have been wanting.

Now hurry up and write the bloody book, Chris.

Or atleast drop us enough hints about what bits to start stocking up with.

EDIT: that colour scheme almost looks like the colours of a budgie. I'm going to have to change my avatar

[Edited on 20/1/09 by balidey]

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Wonder why Chris hasn’t commented?!? Even I have to say I’m interested in this little thing, god my Lambo wheels and tyres would look great on that

Though tbh I'd expect it should be possible to build for far less than 5k!!! What happened to the locost build things on a budget sprit??? I could by a good production car for that amount!

[Edited on 20/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Chris is away on holiday and the book is all but done I think..needs bits here and there etc.
I was surprised to see it on here although Chris was showing folk pictures at the show.
Lights are mental, can't say anymore than that.
Fozzie....it just has to be a bike engine you know it makes sense but being so light it won't need a R1 etc you get get away with an R6 and still scare yourself.

Like I said in earlier post...every garage should have one.....

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
You might well be able to buy a production car for same amount but it's a production car and boring as anyone can have one....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Wonder why Chris hasn’t commented?!? Even I have to say I’m interested in this little thing, god my Lambo wheels and tyres would look great on that

Though tbh I'd expect it should be possible to build for far less than 5k!!! What happened to the locost build things on a budget sprit??? I could by a good production car for that amount!

Good luck buying a production car with the same performance potential as a sub 350kg (educated guess) BEC powered single seater for £5k.

What it really needs is a one make race series.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Triton

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
What it really needs is a one make race series. Yes please.........

Neat touches with wings too....

Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:

Good luck buying a production car with the same performance potential as a sub 350kg (educated guess) BEC powered single seater for £5k.

What it really needs is a one make race series.

Really my point was 5k is a far cry from the £250 of the orginal locost concept, ok so the £250 was a tad unrealistic but over the years I’ve seen the cost of home built 7’s climb to silly levels for such a basic car. I hope that the new book will go back to cheap toys that we don’t have to try explaining to missy why I’d want spend 5k on that tiny thing instead of a nice second hand BMW with aircon & leather seats…

Triton

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Who wants a sensible car anyway, life is too short to be the same as everyone else...

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Benzine

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
DO WANT

I think I'd turn BEC for that ^__^

[Edited on 20/1/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/1/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
DO WANT

[Edited on 20/1/09 by Benzine]

Oops we may both eat or words... how embarrassing

still think my 3ltr v6 in that would be super

Hellfire

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Gone and done it now..me minds working over time...not sure about bec though.....
Fozzie

Wash your mouth out girl!!!

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
DO WANT

Just be honest with yourself..... You've always wanted to turn BEC..... This is just an excuse to actually do it.

Phil

iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, just in case it's not too late or just an early render, the rollbar needs a rear brace (like the car in DIY Si's photo).

13months to wait for the book - that's going to be the hard part now - any chance that can be speeded up now the cat is out of the bag?

[Edited on 20/1/09 by iank]

--
Anonymous

Benzine

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Oops we may both eat or words... how embarrassing

still think my 3ltr v6 in that would be super

^__^

Actually, sod BEC... Rotary + transaxle?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
DO WANT

Just be honest with yourself..... You've always wanted to turn BEC..... This is just an excuse to actually do it.

Phil

A BEC that small should be a hoot as its not much more than the bike in weight and might be ok in traffic, certainly safer to use than a motor bike I’ll give it that.

I’ll buy the book when it comes out just to see what its like. It’s the diff that bothers me as that would probably be one of the most expensive parts

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Gone and done it now..me minds working over time...not sure about bec though.....
Fozzie

Phil

quote:
quote:
Fozzie

Phil

Well......didn't the original have a Cozzie 1098 ??

I can see that if it was a 'track only', then maybe (only maybe mind, a very big maybe at that) I would 'think' about it (bec).....but to 'road' it it's just got to be cec....

First off, I will have to sell the house to get more garage space to keep it in.......

I need to see plans......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Triton

posted on 20/1/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
"I’ll buy the book when it comes out just to see what its like. It’s the diff that bothers me as that would probably be one of the most expensive parts"

That clever bloke Mr Gibbs has sorted this bit...

The expensive bit will be fuel because you will never want to stop driving it.....

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

chrisg

posted on 20/1/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well

I thought it was a secret too.

I'll try to answer some of the questions.

I've been on holiday, not hiding

The actual roll bar is 50mm CDS, which is pretty substantial,I hadn't planed to use a brace, but I'll have a think about that.

The prototype has a Honda Fireblade engine and a Sierra diff converted to chain drive along with hubs and disk brakes - I'm looking to include a converted FWD diff, possibly Ford or Vauxhall, as an alternative.

The styling is '60s F1. Thanks to Triton there will be two nose styles when the book comes out. The car should be a good canvas for folks to design their own body in whatever era takes thelr fancy.

The headlights have a folding system which means that you can fold them away when not in use.

The rendering is just that - a rendering, the styling and details will be different. I wasn't expecting that to be used, I didn't think Haynes did either!

I'm enjoying building the car and I hope that others will build them too (or at least buy the book!!)

Thanks for all the comments and I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

iank

posted on 20/1/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
The actual roll bar is 50mm CDS, which is pretty substantial,I hadn't planed to use a brace, but I'll have a think about that.

Thanks, I suspect someone will bin one at very high speed at some point so best to have the provision for one IMO
quote:

The rendering is just that - a rendering, the styling and details will be different. I wasn't expecting that to be used, I didn't think Haynes did either!

Well Haynes must have sent Amazon the information. Looks like a c*ck up that they posted it up too early.
quote:

I'm enjoying building the car and I hope that others will build them too (or at least buy the book!!)

Cheers

Chris

That's what it's all about

--
Anonymous

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.