Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ginetta G40 Chassis
Benonymous

posted on 18/1/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ginetta G40 Chassis

I really like the new Ginetta G40. It's just what made Brit sportscars great. Simple, light (relatively) and eminently modifiable. The thing that strikes me about the chassis is the almost complete absence of triangulation. Everyone who presents a chassis design on the forum is inevitably warned about lack of triangulation. Imagine if this chassis was put up for criticism here!

The top view really shows the lack of triangles..

I wonder if it's got something to do with crash survivability for the chassis? The cage around the driver is supposedly 50 times stronger than it needs to be for FIA regs so the driver is sorted. If the chassis was fully triangulated, then it might be less able to be straightened after a prang. These cars have been designed with a one-make series in mind, starting out with a series for junior drivers 14 to 17 years old.

blakep82

posted on 18/1/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
the chassis does look like its built of much more substantial tubes than the usual 1" square box that 7's are made of. i think you're right, it does really need some, but i think its a LOT stronger already than most 7's

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 18/1/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
the whole thng is virtually a triangle. have highlighted just some of them

[Edited on 18/1/10 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

omega0684

posted on 18/1/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
have you got any dimensions?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 18/1/10 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Was lucky enough to have a tour of the Ginetta factory a few weeks ago with the designer of the G40 actually showing us round. Nice fella, proper petrolhead.

It took him a little over a year to design the whole thing from scratch in solidworks.
G50 was a different bloke, he did the lot in 9 months (must have skipped lunchbreaks).

The chassis are fabbed in house but the tubes are bought in, the laser cut fish mouths are so accurate the tubes hold themselves in place on the jig.

Very impressive stuff, makes you proud to be British for a change.

Al

I kept gravitating towards the scrap bin which was full of tasty stuff, but never plucked up the courage to ask if i could empty it

Benonymous

posted on 19/1/10 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, I see what you mean ashg, just have to think outside the square a bit (pun intended )

Nowt in the floor though but I suppose that may have a riveted/welded floor that would act as a big shear panel.

No doubt these chaps know what they're doing

MK9R

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I love the G40, it really stood out at the show! at 25k i think its a almost a bargain!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 19/1/10 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
the laser cut fish mouths are so accurate the tubes hold themselves in place on the jig.

Probably a good job because I saw a freshly bead-blasted G50 chassis recently and the welding was not great! I mean, it obviously does the job but you'd like to see better.

Bluemoon

posted on 19/1/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a very old fashioned lader frame chassis to me with a decent roll cage...

Dan

ettore bugatti

posted on 19/1/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nice pics of a very nice car.
Alan B

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Looks like a very old fashioned lader frame chassis to me with a decent roll cage...

Dan

Agreed...almost NASCAR like in a way...can't honestly say I'm too impressed TBH

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.