Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cyana bodyshell at Stoneleigh
SteveMX5

posted on 6/5/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cyana bodyshell at Stoneleigh

Found an interesting looking bodyshell on the 750mc stand at Stoneleigh today. Had stickers on it saying "Cyana Motor Sports" I believe this is basically what was the Phoenix. Does anyone have their current contact info as everything I can find is out of date or a dead link?
loggyboy

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Raw have the Phoenix rights now, not sure if they are exclusive. I beleive (from googling) that Cyana were doing MX5 based versions of the phoenix

Mistral Motorsport

MK9R

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the cyan is the original pheonix body that had thefury style rear end. The current pheonix (currently owned by raw) is the later more conventional/known body with the pointy rear end. There is a guy in RGB (Steve bell) who has just kitted out a stiker with the cyan body and it looks very good!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures anyone?
procomp

posted on 6/5/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ill post pass details on to you tom. I have Robs details in the office.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 6/5/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why didn't you ask at the stand?
MK9R

posted on 6/5/12 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Stevie Bell

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

PAUL FISHER

posted on 7/5/12 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yes, I like the look of that, looks superb in the matt black
Talon Motorsport

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I was asked to rework a Haynes chassis to fit under this body work and try and make it a little more accommodating in the cock pit but it never come to any thing. It's a shame as I would have brought one.
scootz

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Why didn't you ask at the stand?

Because maybe... just maybe... it was unattended and he was therefore asking on here!?

It's Evolution Baby!

SteveMX5

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly Scootz as seems to be the norm on these stands

It had stickers on it that suggested the front and rear clamshells were £450 each which seems reasonable compared to some of the bodywork sets for the seven style. I too will be looking to use it on my Haynes based chassis now it's almost completed. Talon, any rough ideas what sort of mods you thought maybe needed? I thought it looked like a fairly straightforward matter of welding on a few mounts but knowing my luck it would need a lot more than that!

Cheers matt that would be great.

Talon Motorsport

posted on 7/5/12 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
No sorry I don't know what it would take to make it fit, I never got a tape measure to it. The idea was to have a complete body in the shop and see what was what but the emails stopped and that was it.
paulf

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to someone on the stand and was told that the wheel base is 6 inches shorter than a locost, to make it fit it seems that the front end of the car needs shortening to suit or the wishbones may be able to be modified.
Paul

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
There were some fliers.

£450 for bonnet £450 for rear tub, £125 for each sidepod.
Finish didn't look that great, but maybe this was an exception.

Cyana were building an MX5 based Phoenix, not many around though.

Slimy38

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
That bodyshell also piqued my interest, especially as Cyana are based in Newcastle under Lyme so it's only up the road for me. I did manage to speak to the guy, he did give me a very detailed history of how it started at one point, Sylva and Raw took their share and left this particular little combination.

He also told me about it being six inches shorter for the locost chassis, but I thought he said it was fine for the roadster? Or maybe he was referring to their own chassis that they sell. In any case, it is designed to fit most seven chassis, mainly by not including any fixings and leaving it for the builder.

The price list (based on a standard RAL gelcoat) is;

Rear tub £450
Front bonnet £450
2 x side pods £250
Sport pack body kit £350 (this appeared to be a set of flared arches that are bonded to the base kit)
Headlight covers £68

All including VAT.

I thought the finish looked quite decent, certainly not Ultima standard but quite capable of receiving a decent cut and polish rather than desperately needing a paintjob.

I did take a copy of all the leaflets, if I manage to get my scanner working I'll try and upload them. They don't currently have a web presence as far as I can tell which is a shame.

[Edited on 7/5/12 by Slimy38]

SteveMX5

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for all the info particularly slimy, I thought the same that the finish would be fine for a track car.

Is there a contact number on the flier by any chance?

andylancaster3000

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was considering this as a mod to our Locost and spoke to rob about it at Cadwell last year. I can confirm having put the tape on it then that the Locost is 6" longer so would need significant modding in the scuttle region to fit. Don't know about a Haynes chassis though...
Slimy38

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Contact details:

Cyana Sports Cars
Unit 3 Chetwynd Street
Wolstanton
Newcastle-u-lyme
Staffordshire
ST5 0EQ

Telephone: 07773 390063

Email: rob_johnston, you'll need to add the .co.uk and the hotmail bits. I doubt he'll mind the little bit of extra publicity, but he could probably do without the spambots!

[Edited on 8/5/12 by Slimy38]

swanny

posted on 8/5/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
at £450 quid wouldnt it be eaiser to cut and shut the fibreglass than modify a standard chassis/set up etc?

sorry of this is a daft suggestion, but having seen what some fibreglass folks can do foir not huge amounts of cash i do wonder if it would be easier.

Slimy38

posted on 8/5/12 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I would do, the split between the fore and aft sections would be a nice place for an additional six inches of fibreglass. Then you'd just need to split the lower sections and rebuild as required.
SteveMX5

posted on 8/5/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant info cheers, great these forums aren't they

Yes that would be approach, I would add the extra length to the front clam shell as I'm a sucker for a long bonnet

Instant Gymnast

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cyana bodyshell at Stoneleigh

I also had an extended chat to Rob and got him to remove the front clam shell. The chassis is completely made out of CDS. It looks as rigid as a rigid thing and well put together. The full kit comes out at about £5300 inc the dreaded. This is a proper race car and as such there isn't a road registered one yet. I am in the process of putting together a budget to build one and am looking at between £12-14k to put one on the road. This will include decent suspension, alloy hubs/uprights, compomotive wheels and 4 pot brakes and the running gear from a Honda S2000(engine/6sp box/prop/diff). I rather think it will be a case of building it once for the IVA and then building it again to my spec. Because I have only one good arm, I will be fitting a corsa electric power steering column which is quite popular with the rally boys. I did ask him if, since it was similar to the fury, it could come with a full screen(elan) and he said yes they could do that. We even talked of bike power and he said that if I got the engine he would modify the chassis round it! As soon as I have the required funds and somewhere to build it then I will be beating a path to his door.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Wheels244

posted on 25/9/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of that - shame it doesn't fit the Locost chassis - I'd be having that.

Think he could be persuaded to make a body to fit ? Sounds like there might be a market for it.

Instant Gymnast

posted on 25/9/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
All you can do is ask...
ashg

posted on 25/9/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
i have got some pictures somewhere of the chassis before they built it up i will have a rummage and see if i can find them

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.