Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes Roadster MX-5 scratch build
Half Finished

posted on 1/9/18 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes Roadster MX-5 scratch build

Hello everyone, I have been working on this for a while now. I thought I would share my progress so far.
This will use as much of the donor car as possible to keep the budget low. I am planning to use a Speeduino ECU. I am hoping to make/fabricate as much as possible of everything else. I am using the Saturn chassis plans.

I managed to pick up this sorry looking donor car as an MOT failure for practically nothing. I stripped it down for everything I needed and sold everything else. I managed to make enough money to buy the box section for the chassis later on.
Description
Description

Description
Description

I weighed in the battery and picked up some scrap box section steel for my build table.
Description
Description

Description
Description

The legs are bolted on with coach bolts. I'm hoping to store it if I decide to build a second one later on.
The top surface is just 6 pieces of chip board fixed with sheet metal screws. The build table is made from all scrap and cost me nothing in materials.
Description
Description

After marking out the chassis dimensions I cut the base rails to length with an evolution chop saw. It makes a nice cut and needs minimal deburring with a file.
Description
Description

Laying out the base rails and securing with wooden blocks.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Jig for the front frame
Description
Description

Front frame welded
Description
Description

Front uprights in place. I know the driver side upright rail is in the wrong place. I moved it later on.
Description
Description

Rest of the uprights in place
Description
Description

Description
Description

Seat back rails in place
Description
Description

Cutting the transmission tunnel rails. Some of these had angles on both sides, I clamped them into the chop saw with an angle to the base.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Setting out the transmission tunnel
Description
Description

Description
Description

And this is my progress up to today. I've been away all summer and annoyingly the chassis has a light coating of surface rust.
Description
Description

Getting there slowly. The next step is to fully weld the chassis and cut the bars for the rear.
It is handy there is metal scrapyard next door that always has a big stockpile of aluminium and steel too.

ianhurley20

posted on 1/9/18 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the group . Great progress. The light rust can often be cured with a dab of phosphoric acid which converts the rust to a black phosphate. Costs about 8 for a bottle from ebay. I used the wiring loom and ecu from the MX5 with mine and also used brake pedals and steering column as well so all the column switches etc.
Good luck and feel free to ask questions, someone will know the answer

My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16

Half Finished

posted on 1/9/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you. I will get some of that.
I didn't think of pedals, I'm not sure I kept them.

I stripped the car down ages ago before moving. The bits have been sat in a shed. It should be interesting to refurbish everything, the MX5 was on 180,000 miles!
The cost of a brake seal kit is almost as much as a whole refurbished caliper.

Slimy38

posted on 1/9/18 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Half Finished
The cost of a brake seal kit is almost as much as a whole refurbished caliper.

I got my seals from Brakes International on Ebay, it cost me 15 for the rears, 14 for the fronts and another fiver for new brake nipples. The pistons were salvageable as were the handbrake mechanisms (once they'd sat in rust remover to get them open in the first place!!).

It was surprisingly satisfying to clean and recondition them myself though, I now have these waiting to go on the car;

Half Finished

posted on 1/9/18 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
They look really smart. I'll have a go with my calipers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.