Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road pot hole claim.
zetec

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Road pot hole claim.

At the weekend my daughter hit the mother of all holes in busy country lane. In no way her fault and I've now found out it has been reported to the council many times in the last few weeks.

The damage is a buckled alloy wheel, tyre looks OK but will probably replace just in case.

We were thinking of claiming and started to go through the process but then had a nasty thought that it might go against her car insurance, and at 19 that is the last thing you want!

So do I stick a used wheel and tyre on for £55 and just swallow it?

If we go the insurance route it will be a claim against the council for about £260 + tracking check for a new wheel and tyre from Ford.

Big worry is if her car insurance history, which is blemish free at the moment, gets this added as a no fault claim which can in a lot of instance lead to a jump in premium.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

INDY BIRD

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi I thought you could just claim direct with the council on this?

I had a dust cart blow a hose next to my car and hydralic oil all over my car, i claimed direct with the council, you will need photo evidence of the hole etc, if it has been already marked by the council with paint for repair they wont follow on the claim, but if nothing you may have a chance,

[Edited on 23/3/16 by INDY BIRD]

INDY BIRD

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
some good info here

http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/pothole-damage-how-to-claim.html

lsdweb

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Claim directly to the council. They will probably try and bat you off but don't give up. If they knew about it and did nothing to prevent damage to vehicles then they don't really have much of a 'defence'.
zetec

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
They were asking for the details of the vehicle car insurance, I suppose I could direct them to the website for checking a vehicle is insured or tell them to sod off as none of their business!

I'm not one to claim on such things normally but in this instance the hole is very deep, even saw a couple of the local eastern Europeans sitting next to it with their fishing rods!

[Edited on 23/3/16 by zetec]

[Edited on 23/3/16 by zetec]

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/3/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Your claim is against the Council direct, not your insurance company - don't give them any information about your insurers! I had a similar incident 8 years ago; went through a mahoosive pothole and tore holes in the sidewall of 2 tyres (luckily the wheels remained undamaged, somehow). When I tried to claim they fobbed me off with excuses, but the best thing you can do is take measurements of the length, width and depth of the pothole, check the location (ie. is I t within the white lines of the road itself) and check they are outside of the Council/Highways Department size guidelines for repair. If they are, then pursue the claim. The Council will still refuse to pay, and you'll end up threatening them with Small Claims Court action to recover costs of wheel, tyre, and cost of Court - then they'll normally offer you a "without prejudice" settlement.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 23/3/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Don't give up and push them hard until they pay up! I once knackered a good tyre on a pot hole and never claimed. It was a company car and the tyre was replaced with no cost to me other than time to go to Kwik Fit.

BenB

posted on 23/3/16 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't realise it wasn't possible to claim if the pothole was marked. That explains why the road I drove down yesterday looked like the surface of the moon. Each 10cm deep 30cm wide pot-hole had a nice white circle around it. It look like the paint had been there about six months if not longer!
coyoteboy

posted on 23/3/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Do NOT give them your insurance detail, you don't have to. It has nothing to do with them, it's not an accident and it's not a notifiable event for insurance.

Call the councils roads team and ask for a claim form. I've done it, it works. It takes a few months.

nick205

posted on 23/3/16 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Didn't realise it wasn't possible to claim if the pothole was marked. That explains why the road I drove down yesterday looked like the surface of the moon. Each 10cm deep 30cm wide pot-hole had a nice white circle around it. It look like the paint had been there about six months if not longer!

The time lapse between identifying an issue and fixing it can be long! Personally I think it stems from being the council and who really checks what they do.

zetec

posted on 23/3/16 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not say they get a lot of claims but they have a dedicated section of their website for claims...

craig1410

posted on 23/3/16 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I successfully claimed against one of my local councils for damage caused by a pothole. The hole had been reported previously and not filled in so I got a friend to come with me to witness the hole and help me take photos showing the dimensions including the depth and the position. I sent these pictures to the council alone with photos of my buckled wheel and (assumed) tyre damage. It took me nearly 6 months of letter ping-pong but eventually I got £260 in damages. I probably had to write the original claim plus around 3 follow-up letters with some additional information and justifications for the damage repairs but it was no big deal really and worth it in the end. This was around the late 1990's so maybe things have changed and this was in Scotland.

Good luck!

coyoteboy

posted on 24/3/16 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Didn't realise it wasn't possible to claim if the pothole was marked. T

It is, unless they put a cone over it. Paint is hardly visible and especially not at night or in rain. Don't let them claim that.

Slimy38

posted on 24/3/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding marking the hole, I thought it was the other way round, IE the council can't be done for damage they don't know about?

From that AA link;

quote:
It's important to understand that they do have a statutory defence as they cannot be held liable for a defect they do not know about, either because it has not been reported to them or because it has not been picked up in their own road condition surveys.

If they've marked it, that means they know about it and haven't fixed it. That should make it easier to claim rather than harder.

[Edited on 24/3/16 by Slimy38]

coyoteboy

posted on 24/3/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Regarding marking the hole, I thought it was the other way round, IE the council can't be done for damage they don't know about?

This.

And don't feel guilty about it, as plenty of folk will try to make you feel guilty. You pay your rates, if they can't manage the budget to cover the repairs they need to sort it, not expect you to cover it. They will do their best to make you feel it's your fault for not steering around it, for not seeing it, for them not knowing about it (they have a responsibility to monitor the road network too, not just repair in response). They have actively told me they balance rate of claims against cost of preventative repairs - if they've chosen not to fix it, they've chosen to hand the cost to you and hope you don't claim.

[Edited on 24/3/16 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.