Board logo

Suggestions for tyres
simonrh - 7/2/15 at 10:15 PM

Accidentally just bought a set of used superleggera for my quantum off ebay.
Standard tyre size is 195/50 r15.
Rims are 7" wide and so could carry 195/50 or 205/45.
Are the 195s going to be a better bet on a (fairly heavy compared to others) seven sequence car as they have a taller side wall for comfort and to flex and heat up. Or would you go for the fat wheels for glamour!
What are a good road tyre that comes in pretty cheap but grippy. Mileage probably isn't an issue.

[Edited on 8/2/15 by simonrh]

OliilO - 7/2/15 at 10:18 PM

I'd go R1R for a mix of track and road. Similar (or same?) compound to R888 but with a better pattern for wet weather and about half the price. I'd have thought that 195s would be sufficient unless you're running big power.

simonrh - 7/2/15 at 10:20 PM

It may occasionally get shown a slow track day but it will be 95% Road I should think

Ben_Copeland - 8/2/15 at 06:55 AM

Second vote for R1R's

I'm running 195/50/15s. 205s are ok if you'll only ever drive it when the road is bone dry otherwise keep to 195s

Openeo website seems cheapest for tyres

[Edited on 8/2/15 by Ben_Copeland]

matt5964 - 8/2/15 at 08:30 AM

Third vote for the R1Rs whilst you can still get the as they are being discontinued 😳

I run 195 at front and 205 at rear on 6.5j rims

Other option would be Yokohama AD008, that's what I'm going to try next if the R1Rs are all gone by then.

If your in Buckden cambs the apex tyres Peterborough where the cheapest buy a long way when I got mine (cheaper than the Internet supply only and there price was fitted with some nice Porsche style valves)

[Edited on 8/2/15 by matt5964]

simonrh - 10/2/15 at 08:43 PM

Got a set of r1r coming, 195 wide all round (pinto is never going to trouble them!)
Wheels arrived today and, aside from a couple of chips, look gorgeous.

coozer - 11/2/15 at 12:00 AM

Any pics??

simonrh - 11/2/15 at 07:14 AM

Will do pics when it is all together. The big reveal like on telly!

simonrh - 12/2/15 at 10:17 PM

Preview as I now have tyres fitted and not sure when i am going to be able to fit wheels to car.

R1R 195/50 R15 V rated on 15x7 Superleggeras.

They weight 14.3kg per corner according to our bathroom scales which i think is OK?

Chris_Xtreme - 13/2/15 at 12:33 PM

You've got to take it for a spin on the new rubber My Xtreme is getting quite low on the tread and when it is back on the road I am going to need to get some new tyres too!

simonrh - 13/2/15 at 01:38 PM

First job this weekend is to get Nodiz timed in. New plug leads arrived today.

Crank sensor was hooked up last night so should be about there.

Chris_Xtreme - 13/2/15 at 01:49 PM

nice, just looked up nodiz, like it. you'll be able to sort any timing curve problems out, might help the running hot issue, if it was still there.

simonrh - 13/2/15 at 02:01 PM

Polo rad has made running hot a thing of the past. Nodiz was on special at Xmas and I was after something like that anyway because of timing wander etc. (and the glamour!)

Chris_Xtreme - 13/2/15 at 02:04 PM

I went for 8 individual coil packs on mine, for that reason - cause I can and to be a bit fancy!

simonrh - 15/2/15 at 01:39 PM

BEFORE:

AFTER:

[Edited on 15/2/15 by simonrh]

Chris_Xtreme - 15/2/15 at 03:00 PM

Nice, they do suit it much better

b14wrc - 19/2/15 at 12:19 PM

Yes, they look sweet!

Ben_Copeland - 19/2/15 at 12:22 PM

Much better !

simonrh - 19/2/15 at 01:16 PM

Don't bloody fit properly t the rear sill though!

Ben_Copeland - 19/2/15 at 01:26 PM

Why whats the issue?

simonrh - 19/2/15 at 02:15 PM

They sit on the rims a little wider than previous and can just rub the wheel arch edge beading over bumps.

The rims are actually offset 2mm more than the previous ones (ET37 was ET35). So if anything should be more clearance than before

Tyres same width but they do have a rim protectcing feature

My rear arches have a plastic bead / trim round them that I am going to have a look at removing to start with as it is just that that is rubbing.

If that fixes it then i might reprofile the arch slightly to make it permanent (or just leave the beading off).

Also at full droop (in the air on a jack) the front right wheel clears the suspension but the wheel weights just touch the A arms. Must be a little more suspension travel on right than left as it is OK on the other side. I have decided to run 3mm spacers for now to ensure clearance until I can sort it out for definite.

Ben_Copeland - 19/2/15 at 02:23 PM

Cars unlikely to see full droop tho ?

Can you raise the rear suspension slightly? or just trim a bit off the arch.

I had something similar where my tyres balloon at full throttle and made a groove in my tyre lol I just raised the back slightly to counter act the squat and balloon effect

simonrh - 19/2/15 at 02:26 PM

Think the stock shocks are quite basic. Maybe I can shim the spring seats higher

AlexXtreme - 23/8/15 at 06:06 PM

Hi Simon,

As a fellow xtreme owner I would be keen to hear what you thought of these tyres as I need to replace a couple of my tyres?

Have you tried them in the wet? (not that I get the car wet very often).

I have similar clearance with the tyres on the back of my car and have slightly damaged the edge :-(.

PS I have just upgrade my rear shocks and it made a big difference from procomp so I can also adjust the height

Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme - 28/8/15 at 11:29 AM

I've put R1Rs on my v8 Xtreme and am liking them.

I've done the SKCC euro trip and them some with them. 2000+miles

In the wet they are actually pretty damn good. I was out in the lashing rain yesterday, so the road was properly soaked, floored it at 3000rpm in 2nd and the wheels didn't spin, I was in a 30zone so the test didn't last very long mind.

Hit a puddle and it is a different story, you definiatly aqua plane more. The ones I had before I think were Avon A520s which didn't aqua plane any where near as much.

I'd recommend them, whilst you can still get them.

AlexXtreme - 11/9/15 at 11:58 AM

Found 2 tyres at Camskill that seemed good value at £128 incl delivery!
Fitted them on the front and they also feel and handle considerably better. However they only just fit under the guards :-O.
Chris, How did they fit under the rear GRP moulding on your car???
Cheers
Alex

Chris_Xtreme - 11/9/15 at 12:04 PM

no problems at the rear at all.

AlexXtreme - 11/9/15 at 12:12 PM

I think you must have a narrow wheel base, although I have not tried, my current tyres are very close the I expect the RR's would be hitting when going over bumps.
Alex

Chris_Xtreme - 11/9/15 at 12:16 PM

I doubt it is going the be the wheel base, but rather the wheel offset. yours are maybe further out for the same width tyre.

[Edited on 11/9/15 by Chris_Xtreme]