Board logo

Tintop Hazed headlight
l0rd - 21/11/10 at 12:20 PM

I need to repair the headlights on my tintop. Due to ageing, they oxidized and now are Haze.

There are a few techniques on the internet.

The best stuff is supposed to be 3M headlight restoration kit but i cannot find one here in UK.

Has anyone done it before and what did they use?

RazMan - 21/11/10 at 12:24 PM

I used Meguiars PlastX. My Lexus headlights are notorious for going hazy and yellowish. This stuff works a treat and makes it all nice and shiney again. You have to repeat the excercise every few months.

[Edited on 21-11-10 by RazMan]

l0rd - 21/11/10 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I used Meguiars PlastX. My Lexus headlights are notorious for going hazy and yellowish. This stuff works a treat and makes it all nice and shiney again. You have to repeat the excercise every few months.

[Edited on 21-11-10 by RazMan]

Yes, this one is one of the recomended ones.

Doesn't it come with a UV additive to stop it (lengthen the interval period)so you should have to do it every few months?

RazMan - 21/11/10 at 12:50 PM

The original headlights have a UV coating but this just wears off over time. PlastX only takes a few minutes to do the job and it is a bit like T-Cut to use - I tend to do them when I wax the car (which isn't very often )

britishtrident - 21/11/10 at 04:57 PM

For the plastic lenses inside Mk1 Mondeo lamps an overnight soak in denture cleaner worked a treat --- I jest not.

David Jenkins - 21/11/10 at 10:13 PM

I used Farecla G10 on my Yaris headlamps - very effective, and cheap as I had it on my shelf anyway!

bimbleuk - 22/11/10 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
For the plastic lenses inside Mk1 Mondeo lamps an overnight soak in denture cleaner worked a treat --- I jest not.

Yep did that on my mk1 Mondeo just before I sold it.

I used a soft polishing mop and polishing compound on my laguna headlight covers which failed the MOT. They thought I had replaced them when I took it back.

[Edited on 22-11-10 by bimbleuk]