Board logo

Hi and My different kit car build
killerferret666 - 25/12/13 at 11:43 AM

I am such a lurker on this forum, I felt I should say Hi. The amount of information I've learnt and taken in via the search has made my build easier for sure and with only one thread posted where I knew in my heart what I was not doing wasn't good enough. It has saved me plaguing the forums with stupid questions.

I look forward to joining as a contributor on this forum as the use has been worth the donation.

I am building a DDR Motorsport GT4, the donor for this vehicle is an MR2, not the chassis itself so it's not one of those kits. I choose the kit because it's closed cockpit and never been done before and I love a challenge and I don't know how to give up until I've completed what I want.

Below is my blog, it's light hearted affair of how I'm getting on.

Http://Miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

Tomorrow will be the first time I take it off the custom dolly I built and place the car on the ground... Very excited and then it's time to fit the engine in. I've placed a few photos below but the blog has far more and detail.

unijacko67 - 25/12/13 at 11:56 AM

Welcome, what a great looking car.

MsD - 25/12/13 at 12:21 PM

Saw this in CKC... Lovely looking car! Looking forward to watching it come together!

Mark.

killerferret666 - 25/12/13 at 12:49 PM

Thanks both. It's going well so far. Just interesting having to solve issues with no guide and no one else who's gone through it before... But that's the challenge :-D

The solutions on this forum help with a lot of things!

perksy - 25/12/13 at 12:53 PM

I like that

Will watch this with interest and see how it progresses

Looking at the finished photo they look nice in Orange

Pat_T - 25/12/13 at 02:32 PM

Hi James,

lovely looking kit, like a mini (affordable) McLaren F1!

do you know what the weight is of one of these? Ideally would like to know the weight of a rolling chassis without engine/box as could then consider different engine donors.

I'd love to do a build on one of these at some point.

cheers & good luck
Patrick

killerferret666 - 25/12/13 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
Hi James,

lovely looking kit, like a mini (affordable) McLaren F1!

do you know what the weight is of one of these? Ideally would like to know the weight of a rolling chassis without engine/box as could then consider different engine donors.

I'd love to do a build on one of these at some point.

cheers & good luck
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I don't know a rolling chassis weight. Delivery weight listed for the shipping container was 750kg, that includes a very heavy and beefy pallet. The total weight including engine (Toyota 3s-gte) is said to be around 900kg, depending on wheels, sound deadening etc.... The chassis is one of the heaviest and beefiest I've seen on a kit car, it took 6 of us to lift it off the pallet! You could say over engineered but it's designed to take engines giving out 1000bhp, so that's good to know in itself.

The engine bay is bigger then a standard mr2 bay and they have fitted some v6 and at least one v8 done in mr2s. So does give me some options.

As with everything.... Americans go bigger!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVpdCw5u2s

[Edited on 25/12/13 by killerferret666]

deezee - 25/12/13 at 06:02 PM

I used to have a jap import mr2 turbo. Had a look at the ddr but opted to build a seven style kit car. Stripping an mr2 to assemble another mid engined 2 seater that's around a tonne, seemed like a small step at a great cost. The car looks fantastic though.

killerferret666 - 26/12/13 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I used to have a jap import mr2 turbo. Had a look at the ddr but opted to build a seven style kit car. Stripping an mr2 to assemble another mid engined 2 seater that's around a tonne, seemed like a small step at a great cost. The car looks fantastic though.

Part of the draw for me, as I took it apart I could learn the mr2, but so far barely used any parts as I keep replacing them.

killerferret666 - 28/12/13 at 04:47 PM

quick walk around the build for anyone who is interested. Took all the rear back off today in the garage to fit the engine...or should that be...start to fit the engine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjo_9LOtKU

killerferret666 - 3/2/14 at 08:55 PM

I've been working on the ignition and charging electrics only to date and hooked it up how I thought was correctly and tried

http://youtu.be/F2mwVkQ7HgI

Satisfying feeling isnt it, It didnt fire as I had no fuel in at this point just testing the wiring and thanks to the MR2 having a rear fusebox / relay holder it really is only 5 wires from ignition / battery as the rear loom does all the work with the ECU. Tonight put the power into the CBS from battery and ACC and that was fine too.

Started tidying it all up tonight because it looks a mess quickly, anyone's advice on keeping wiring neat is appreciated!

...right off to contribute as the search here has been amazing!

killerferret666 - 16/2/14 at 09:46 PM

My blog updated with the engine starting and the troubles.

miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

Up to 205hours on the build now in 3 and half months....maybe sinlge at this rate in another 3 half months

killerferret666 - 16/2/14 at 09:47 PM

Miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

Pat_T - 17/2/14 at 07:51 PM

great work mate, keep it up.

Looking forward to a full engine start video soon

big_wasa - 17/2/14 at 08:00 PM

It sure does look stunning....

killerferret666 - 17/3/14 at 08:30 AM

Not quite an engine start up video, but hopefully next week once the custom exhaust / silencer is installed!

Here's a little walk around video, some pipes and wiring need securing further but I have a couple more bits of wiring to do and test and I'll finally be done!

http://youtu.be/iyaa1VT7F0Q

killerferret666 - 24/3/14 at 09:17 AM

It moved by itself yesterday.I know it was only ten feet etc... but its a great feeling

I've updated the blog with a very poor video I will do a better one at some point!

killerferret666 - 4/5/14 at 08:46 PM

Blog updated with good weekends work.

miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.com

killerferret666 - 1/6/14 at 10:23 PM

Video of car currently. Getting there! Although not happy with dash colour...sold as dark grey!

killerferret666 - 24/6/14 at 07:13 AM

Getting there, test fitting body and windscreen in.

God bodywork takes so many hours to even get close to lining up! I've done just passenger door so far and spent about 12hours on it to get it pretty good.

nick205 - 24/6/14 at 08:34 AM

This looks stunning and well worth the effort on the bodywork fitting/alignment

Keep the updates coming!

Pat_T - 24/6/14 at 12:06 PM

Great work!

Definitely going to need a rear wing to look in proportion I think, similar to the F1 GTR?

Are you planning on adding one?

killerferret666 - 24/6/14 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Great work!

Definitely going to need a rear wing to look in proportion I think, similar to the F1 GTR?

Are you planning on adding one?

I agree it will need a rear wing. I'm not sure on which style of wing yet though. Ill need to do some photoshopping.

Was thinking of a short low profile wing, like konensegg did, but then part of my decision will be made on what aftermarket wings I can get

TPG - 27/6/14 at 04:37 PM

That is a nice looking car. Interesting left field build choice. Also the standard "how much did it cost?" to get across etc. Just interested because of the taxes etc.
Nice,Keep at it.

killerferret666 - 27/6/14 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TPG
That is a nice looking car. Interesting left field build choice. Also the standard "how much did it cost?" to get across etc. Just interested because of the taxes etc.
Nice,Keep at it.

We'll there wasn't much change from £15k, that's for it to be on my driveway, because of UK taxes and the exchange rate mainly.

However if you have a VAT company and with current exchange rate probably closer to £11k currently. It's the vat that's the killer!

Also you wouldn't want the windscreen with the kit as its not E marked and I had to have a mould made from mine to produce E marked screens....mine was a nessacity but I guess at least others get the benefit of E screens being easily made.
So again kit would be cheaper without a screen, less import tax etc...

To be honest if I was to do it again, I'd cut out things I can buy in uk to save cost and would make it much cheaper because of the vat on top. For instance buying RHD lights as well.

I took on this car for the challenge in being the first, although challenging it's been good

killerferret666 - 28/7/14 at 01:05 PM

blog updated and build getting there...cant line headlights up to save my life though!

killerferret666 - 9/2/15 at 01:02 PM

so its been in the body shop a while now being tidied up.

2 main things;

1. The spoiler wont be fitted when sprayed I want to see how it looks with out one. I will still have the spoiler work done though so its ready If i want to fit it.

2. I've had to make compromises on some lines of the door because of the fibreglass, I now officially hate fibreglass. The important ones like the door lines from the side will look good, but some others wont be perfect. I had a choice of doing a high build up and risk cracking or a lower build up but more stable. There is little point in building up a large amount if the risk of cracking is higher, id rather it lasted. dissapointing, but not the end of the world.

CNHSS1 - 9/2/15 at 06:14 PM

if its quick, shutlines don't matter

great proj btw

Johneturbo - 9/2/15 at 06:17 PM

stunning looking, if i was to build again i'd go for something that looks like that

Pat_T - 9/2/15 at 06:41 PM

great work.

What colour will it be? some colours show bodywork imperfections/poor shutlines worse than others IMO.

I'd like to think you are doing it this colour:

killerferret666 - 9/2/15 at 06:48 PM

quote:
great work.

What colour will it be? some colours show bodywork imperfections/poor shutlines worse than others IMO.

I'd like to think you are doing it this colour:

Afraid not, ive been trying to tone it down as much as possible without going for silver. Too which so far everyone just laughs at when I say i'm toning it down

But it will be the colour below which in the sun pops a bit but i think looks great on a cloudy day as well (which is important!)

[Edited on 9/2/15 by killerferret666]

killerferret666 - 26/2/15 at 04:22 PM

vents are in and the car is to be sprayed this weekend (shows rally vent as vented air for cockpit). I am going spoilerless...at least for now

Picked up the splitter and headlight covers which have been hydro dipped.

killerferret666 - 27/2/15 at 03:48 PM

It was time to shake and Bake...showing off the 3 stage paints colour range

Pat_T - 27/2/15 at 04:14 PM

Looks fantastic!

Really like that colour actually. And the hydrodipping looks good, is it expensive?

killerferret666 - 27/2/15 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Looks fantastic!

Really like that colour actually. And the hydrodipping looks good, is it expensive?

I cant say its cheap because its not but I dont find it overly expensive to be honest.

Few things that effect cost, mainly prep work and size. If its a nice square shape you'll use less film, if its a long and thin piece (like a splitter I had done) it uses alot more film and costs alot more for what is a piece with a similar surface area.

You can get kits to do it at home and i actually think you'd get good results doing it at home on simpler smaller bits.

Nickp - 27/2/15 at 05:16 PM

I reckon that's going to look pretty damn stunning when bolted back together!!

As it's 'just' MR2 running gear, I'm good mates with a very knowledgeable MR2 tuner if you need any advice to make it go as well as it looks? 550bhp and sub 11s 1/4?

killerferret666 - 27/2/15 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp

As it's 'just' MR2 running gear, I'm good mates with a very knowledgeable MR2 tuner if you need any advice to make it go as well as it looks? 550bhp and sub 11s 1/4?

300bhp in a car about a ton should be enough however I want to do the v6 conversion at some point, so will be about 320bhp but with better torque range....ohh and the noise

Nickp - 27/2/15 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666
quote:

300bhp in a car about a ton should be enough however I want to do the v6 conversion at some point, so will be about 320bhp but with better torque range....ohh and the noise

The V6's do make a cracking road car, better than the Turbo in my opinion. I put a 3vzfe in a Rev1, that was a fun car

IanSouthLincs - 27/2/15 at 07:32 PM

Really like this, and what a fantastic colour! Keep the updates coming

killerferret666 - 28/2/15 at 05:13 PM

few more pics i found that i forgot i took vie added to the blog

www.miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

[Edited on 28/2/15 by killerferret666]

[Edited on 28/2/15 by killerferret666]

killerferret666 - 4/6/15 at 06:43 AM

Finally actually done almost all exterior parts, including fitting rear side windows.
Looking like a useable car now.

Nickp - 4/6/15 at 07:11 AM

Well done fella, it looks amazing!!

cloudy - 4/6/15 at 07:25 AM

Looks fantastic!

killerferret666 - 4/6/15 at 11:17 AM

Im much happier there are a few bits im not happy with, mainly the rear clam shell fit, but the company has made that fit better with alterations for everyone else...lucky them lol one of the downsides of being first.

on another note.....I wont be the only one anymore as a guy i know through my old Supra days has ordered as well (note the different rear and extra side clips.)

[Edited on 4/6/15 by killerferret666]

[Edited on 4/6/15 by killerferret666]

killerferret666 - 21/7/15 at 05:15 PM

latest bits have been;

* Change of clutch on driveway - NEVER AGAIN!!!
* Change of coilovers to Meister R from BC racing - much better ride!
* laser cut badge for the front

Did 200mile+ journey in it to brooklands supercar day. Car ran fine, although I lost boost on the way home and found the actuator arm had come off the wastegate so could be a missing retainer clip, all back on now.

Looks like im finally getting there in terms of a reliable normal car - 900 miles now complete.

CosKev3 - 21/7/15 at 06:19 PM

Mint B)

Makes the Ferrari in the back ground look well boring!!!

02GF74 - 23/7/15 at 06:33 PM

Nice

Crying out for a rear carbon spoiler.

killerferret666 - 1/9/15 at 10:27 AM

Created a video review. Gave some fancy video recording and editing a go! And some Boring narrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDX-i-_Vdqg

and yes i'm beginning to move more towards a spoiler as well. Roll on the winter!

[Edited on 1/9/15 by killerferret666]

Jonte - 2/9/15 at 09:28 AM

Looking great

Pat_T - 2/1/16 at 10:19 AM

Happy New Year!

few months in from completing it how are you getting on? Give us an update!

killerferret666 - 2/1/16 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Happy New Year!

few months in from completing it how are you getting on? Give us an update!

Happy New Year

So mechanically the car is stable and fine what ive been doing is rebuilding the whole interior. Its back to just the wiring and sound deadedning.

* New seats with more padding

* re-carpetted - glued down in right places

* new centre tunnel

* speakers added at read

* new dashboard design - although similar and trimmed

Once complete the interior should be to a higher standard and I can get on refining bits. Im also working on the spoiler and plan on fitting a bigger diffuser over the rear to make it more sporty.

I've built some custom lights and fitted them already, they will go great with larger diffuser (number plate moved) larger circular exhaust piece and spoiler

Im also liking DDR's styling on latest car they've made

[Edited on 2/1/16 by killerferret666]

ceebmoj - 2/1/16 at 02:56 PM

I would be very interested in how you made the lights.

killerferret666 - 3/1/16 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj

Info is in the blog of how I built them. If you've got any particular questions though, feel free to ask

Adamirish - 3/1/16 at 10:09 PM

I was following your build on PH. It is a lovely kit and very well done. A credit to you!

ceebmoj - 3/1/16 at 10:25 PM

quote:
quote:

Info is in the blog of how I built them. If you've got any particular questions though, feel free to ask

Thanks they look great. How did you hold the lenses for turning, did you turn them on a superglue arbour? Does it affect the optics of the perspex? Can you take some photos showing the different combinations of LED on? Did you source the COBs from eBay? A quick look shows me loads of options this is great but as a side project I can see it delaying the build :-)

killerferret666 - 3/1/16 at 10:40 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks they look great. How did you hold the lenses for turning, did you turn them on a superglue arbour? Does it affect the optics of the perspex? Can you take some photos showing the different combinations of LED on? Did you source the COBs from eBay? A quick look shows me loads of options this is great but as a side project I can see it delaying the build :-)

I'll write up the info you ask tomorrow evening. Hopefully link below shows a video of the brightness during the day

https://www.instagram.com/p/93gPOirOJq/

ceebmoj - 3/1/16 at 10:56 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'll write up the info you ask tomorrow evening. Hopefully link below shows a video of the brightness during the day

https://www.instagram.com/p/93gPOirOJq/

thank you.

killerferret666 - 14/4/16 at 10:15 AM

Finally got the interior updated to a v2, i think a version 3 will be the one done by a professional as im happy with the shape now.

So I will use it over this summer and go from there, I need to decide on where i'm going to have the air vents as well. I think the material im using is poor, scags so easily and wasnt that cheap. so next winter ill get it done properly when I know i'm happy with the position of everything.

The android double din headunit is the bets thing, GPS. bluetooth,wifi, custom screens, USB, SD card. I just get home connect to the wifi and download spotify songs.

Also I have wired the rear view camera to the reverse camera wire and press a button to look behind. Also I can connect a front USB webcam, for front recording like a dashcam.

The interior isn't finished yet but some pics, first of all before;

After:

[Edited on 14/4/16 by killerferret666]

Nickp - 14/4/16 at 10:22 AM

Good work, definite improvement, as are the seats

killerferret666 - 18/4/16 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Good work, definite improvement, as are the seats

thanks, pretty happy with it and especially the driving position, so much better and the seats are much comfier.

I managed to get it back on the road on sunday, I did wonder if the online tax would work as of course being new, no MOT for 3yrs and I've heard people have problems taxing their car, but mine was fine. Only minor issue I have is with the exhaust tip, the rest of the car was perfect.

nero1701 - 18/4/16 at 08:31 PM

I used a MR2 glovebok in my MK Indy, great Fit
Glove Box