Board logo

the top gear bashing thread
theconrodkid - 17/3/14 at 08:01 PM

didnt notice one this week so.....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582833/Jeremy-Clarkson-accused-racism-Top-Gear-series-finale-Thailand.html

anyone here heard the term before ?.

balidey - 17/3/14 at 08:22 PM

Missed the episode, but that line is very subtle and 'looks around for anyone who might think I'm racist'.. very funny.

SteveWalker - 17/3/14 at 08:46 PM

That's a term that's been around for very many years. If I'd seen it, I'd probably have picked up on it and laughed, but for those that took offence, it's very hard to prove intent when the bridge itself definitely does slope.

Not Anumber - 17/3/14 at 09:03 PM

Ive only ever heard the term 'slopy' to criticise team members who dont do their fair share of work or avoid committing themselves - as in slopy shoulders.

Ive never heard of it as a racist term before. Presumably if its a term that no one uses and no one seems to know then it's much more likely to have been said in ignorance rather than being a racist comment.

Alfa145 - 17/3/14 at 09:14 PM

Anything can be deemed racist if you want it to....just pointless journalism looking to get more readers and cause controversy...

Watch out next week as I believe "The" will become offensive and be banned....

We have plenty of slopeys at work....defined as slacking off the job as mentioned above.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by Alfa145]

theduck - 17/3/14 at 09:56 PM

ermmm... isn't the person on the bridge james may?

Toltec - 17/3/14 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
Anything can be deemed racist if you want it to....just pointless journalism looking to get more readers and cause controversy...

Watch out next week as I believe "The" will become offensive and be banned....

We have plenty of slopeys at work....defined as slacking off the job as mentioned above.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by Alfa145]

Are you mocking t' Yorkshire accent lad? I could take offense at that.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by Toltec]

splitrivet - 17/3/14 at 11:53 PM

Thats the Daily Mail fer ya cant find any news, lets make some up.
Cheers,
Bob

Scuzzle - 17/3/14 at 11:55 PM

Too many people just sit at home watching TV shows just itching to be 'outraged'.

Only thing that annoyed me was the 2 part special had nothing whatsoever to do with cars.

I'm outraged

gingerprince - 18/3/14 at 07:34 AM

What a load of cobblers. In fact watching the episode I was more inclined to think there'd be comments about the earlier bit where they were discussing thinking everyone looked the same to them...

daveb666 - 18/3/14 at 10:05 AM

Maybe I'm too young but never heard of the 'slope' terminology before.

Never commented on a Top Gear bashing thread before but the burma truck thing, IMO, was shite.

Idiotic, slapstic; nothing clever or original.

tomprescott - 18/3/14 at 10:21 AM

I'm 25 and I know that term, so I don't think it's an age thing - probably heard it in a film so it may be more to do with how much of your life you wasted watching films.

I didn't see the show but it seems, based on the article, that the show was set in Burma (Myanmar to be PC) but the link on the Daily Mail site clearly says Thailand for the page name - that's either a web editor with a poor knowledge of geography, or another racist who thinks all south east Asians are the same! I don't think anybody who has been to both countries would get the two confused, massive differential in terms of socio-economic development and quite a bit in terms of culture.

02GF74 - 19/3/14 at 06:33 PM

I am surprised noone has commented about May almost getting killed when dh Clarkson toppled the crane over.

I also suspect there was more to the bridge than met the eye - 7 Tonners driven over bamboo stakes with little or no foundation - is it likely?

morcus - 19/3/14 at 10:11 PM

I couldn't be bothered to read the daily mail quote, but the bridge was in Thailand.

owelly - 19/3/14 at 10:17 PM

The bridge was helped by the gabians and RSJs hidden behind the bamboo......

scootz - 25/3/14 at 01:39 PM

There's no (real world) doubt that the 'slope' comment was a wholly-contrived double-entendre reference to the lop-sided bridge and the local walking on it in the background.

They get away with it though as they can argue that they meant 'slope' literally.

Cowardly snidey slimey schoolboy humour!

If you or I called an Asian a 'slope' and a complaint was made, then you can bet your boots that you're going to be standing front and centre in a courthouse! And rightly so!

I've gone from loving the show, to finding Clarkson and Hammond mildly irritating, to despising the entire production!

Such a shame...

scootz - 23/4/14 at 10:16 AM

Confirmation of their intent (as if it was needed)...

Top Gear 'Regret' Link