Board logo

lighter wheels anyone?
02GF74 - 26/10/14 at 01:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7dtrRrSTg

note the sophisticated CAD drawing (using paintbrush :? )

Ben_Copeland - 26/10/14 at 04:44 PM

Hmmm first pot hole or fast corner and bye bye wheel/car and someone's life possibly.

NigeEss - 26/10/14 at 04:45 PM

A curious but utterly pointless experiment !!

craig1410 - 26/10/14 at 08:37 PM

Oh come on guys, not every experiment has to have a practical purpose...

Besides, some of the best innovations have come about as a result of a daft experiment or two.
Long live the curious mind or as the late Steve Jobs famously quoted from the 1974 Whole Earth Catalog,
"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."

mark chandler - 26/10/14 at 09:59 PM

But it was pointless! You can get wire wheels for cars so what was he actually proving?

craig1410 - 26/10/14 at 10:03 PM

Well, these weren't wire car wheels, they were bicycle wheels and bicycle tyres. He was just showing that bicycle wheels are stronger than you might expect. Just a bit of fun.

NigeEss - 27/10/14 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Well, these weren't wire car wheels, they were bicycle wheels and bicycle tyres. He was just showing that bicycle wheels are stronger than you might expect. Just a bit of fun.

Fair point if not for the fact he was touting for further development, he's already proved the point.

craig1410 - 27/10/14 at 12:21 AM

I thought he was just interested to see where the limit is in terms of strength as an engineering exercise.
He mentioned something between a Toyota Corolla and a Cement Mixer as being the failure point if memory serves me right.

This is the sort of thing that Mythbusters do all the time for entertainment/curiosity value only with the occasional surprise emerging.

02GF74 - 27/10/14 at 07:02 PM

Yes, he did say cement mixer, i d like to see that. :O

Strange nobody commented how close he was to the car when he was lowering thr jack, a spindly scissor one at that, coz who knew if the wheel would collapse????

Still pretty impressive to hang a corner of a car using s few bits or wire and a bicycle alloy rim.