Board logo

Identify stolen engine /frame without no. plate?
russbost - 19/9/16 at 07:12 AM

A friend has been offered a "field bike", an enduro style bike without a registration, he is somewhat dubious about the guy selling it as it simply seems to be too cheap, & all he has for the guy is a mobile no., no address etc. It has engine & frame no.'s intact, is there any way of identifying a stolen bike without having a registration plate to start from? (I would imagine the bike has been road registered at some point).

So far as I am aware you can't HPI from a chassis no. or engine no., would a phone call to Swansea be of any use, I can't imagine the plod being very helpful?

Any suggestions?

owelly - 19/9/16 at 07:55 AM

You need a traders HPI check. They can cross reference chassis/vin/VRM.

russbost - 19/9/16 at 09:04 AM

Ok, so how does he get a traders HPI check & as there is no reg no. to start from I assume it can be accessed from the VIN no. on the frame or the engine no.?

Dick - 19/9/16 at 10:03 AM

If you have a trade account with HPI you can access vehicle details but entering the reg number (this you don't have) or by entering the vin number that you do have. You must have a trade account to be able to do this. You are wasting your time trying dvla

russbost - 19/9/16 at 01:06 PM

Any other way of doing it, he doesn't have a trade a/c or know anyone who has & nor do I, you'd think the plod & DVLA would want stolen stuff found.

Dick - 19/9/16 at 01:12 PM

Maybe try local car sales lots use HPI and offer to pay for it with a beer bribe as well

owelly - 19/9/16 at 02:27 PM

If you contact the plod and ask them to help, at best they'll come round and take the bike away until you can prove its identity....
DVLA will be no help at all.

mackei23b - 19/9/16 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
If you contact the plod and ask them to help, at best they'll come round and take the bike away until you can prove its identity....
DVLA will be no help at all.

I told PLOD when I was buying an unregistered Caterham with some provenance.....they were not interested in checking the details....even though it could have matched a previously stolen caterham, thus solving a crime!!

I did manage through contacts at the time to get in contact with a DVLA Fraud investigator who was helpful. As said offer to pay a garage to do the check.

Cheers

Ian

gremlin1234 - 19/9/16 at 04:24 PM

it could also be a bike written off as cat b, and de-registered.

russbost - 19/9/16 at 04:53 PM

Ok, many thanks for the help, I will pass the info along, guess he needs to find a friendly car trader!

Adamirish - 24/9/16 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Ok, many thanks for the help, I will pass the info along, guess he needs to find a friendly car trader!

Maybe a bit late now but if he still needs it, I can do it on Monday. If it's any use, pm me the full frame no, make and model And i'll run it through hpi.

russbost - 25/9/16 at 01:12 PM

Adam, many thanks for the offer, you have u2u!

Russ