Board logo

Finding info on French service stations?
jps - 5/6/17 at 10:02 AM

I'm due to drive over to Brittany in a couple of weeks - family holidays.

I'm doing the drive through the night - but will have a 4 month old on board. Incase we need any facilities I'm hoping to identify some good service stations I can aim for enroute - but am struggling to find info on the individual locations.

I know the various 'aires' are very regularly spaced - i'm just trying to find precisely what will be there when I arrive at a specific one - as some of them have all the bells and whistles - some less so...

Rod Ends - 5/6/17 at 10:39 AM

RAC & AA used to offer route-planning service for European travel - might be worth checking out their websites.

cliftyhanger - 5/6/17 at 02:13 PM

The "aires" that sell fuel are generally pretty good, although all have that peculiar French smell about them.

The stopping off "aires" with no fuel are usually grim facility wise.

ttalps2000 - 5/6/17 at 02:48 PM

most French service stations are grim! you get the odd one which is nice, but they are rare!

motivforz - 5/6/17 at 05:13 PM

If going via calais, here's a good 24hr service station that I've used
Abbevil le Stop

On the continent I find viamichelin the best for route planning, and you can switch on service stations etc along the way:

viamichelin

jps - 5/6/17 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by motivforz
If going via calais, here's a good 24hr service station that I've used
Abbevil le Stop

On the continent I find viamichelin the best for route planning, and you can switch on service stations etc along the way:

viamichelin

thanks - yes, I know the Abbeville Aire well - I was hoping to be able to find out where there were others as good!

swanny - 7/6/17 at 02:30 PM

have a look on some caravan and camping sites. they tend to have good advice for travel in france.