Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is it me or is everyone power crazied
froggy

posted on 24/7/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I just let the lightweight stuff go past and do what they do best which is corner speed . My car is seriously fat now with all the fluids tipping the scales at 1018kg fully fuelled with driver but has 520 hp 460lb/ft so I just harass all the expensive stuff on track days . Don't think I'd have any more fun in a super lightweight car to be honest but I've booked the full palmersport day in September to see if I'm missing out

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

nick205

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Having briefly had tenure of an Audi TT, earlier this year, I quickly came to the conclusion that I shouldn't use most of the performance most of the time in that.

225bhp and around 1400kg or thereabouts.
It would easily lay it all down and handle it, as could I.
But it reached speeds it shouldn't in places it shouldn't.

I went from that to using a Peugeot 107 at work, with 1000cc and 60bhp.

Driving that, in comparison, is a hoot.

You get to use all of the power, the vast majority of the time.

Make of that what you will.

I can agree with that, driving a lower powered car the the absolute max is often much more entertaining than having more power than you can ever use on the road.

One of the best drives I've ever had was in a 1.0L Corsa hire car on holiday. Admittedly I was racing my best friend in a 1.0L Micra. The road was like velvet, with endless cambered corners. It was 100% about maintaining momentum and avoiding the brake pedal at all cost. The air con was switched off, wing mirrors folded and we were hunkered as low as we could get in the seats. There was understeer, a little oversteer and a lot of edge of the tarmac dust clouds. The cars were awesome and we were Schumacher and Loeb. 1000cc is all you need for a lot of fun

coyoteboy

posted on 25/7/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

One of the best drives I've ever had was in a 1.0L Corsa hire car on holiday. Admittedly I was racing my best friend in a 1.0L Micra. The road was like velvet, with endless cambered corners. It was 100% about maintaining momentum and avoiding the brake pedal at all cost. The air con was switched off, wing mirrors folded and we were hunkered as low as we could get in the seats. There was understeer, a little oversteer and a lot of edge of the tarmac dust clouds. The cars were awesome and we were Schumacher and Loeb. 1000cc is all you need for a lot of fun

And death. This is exactly what I meant by you have to drive to unacceptably risky limits (for the road) in a low powered car for it to be fun.

whitestu

posted on 25/7/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

And death. This is exactly what I meant by you have to drive to unacceptably risky limits (for the road) in a low powered car for it to be fun.

IMHO you've got that the wrong way round. There's a lot more chance of getting away with something at 35mph than there is of doing at 70. And if it goes wrong a lot less chance of doing serious damage.

My old Alfasud 1.3ti was way more fun than any modern equivalent.

froggy

posted on 25/7/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Most memorable drive I've had is going up and down the col de Turini in a citroen pluriel rental complete with paddle shift .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.