Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Scirocco
MarkGTX

posted on 11/8/14 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
My Scirocco

Hi guys, I hope I will be welcome here as I am not building a kit car.

The reason I have signed up is because Google keeps sending me here as I research my current build. There seems to be such a wealth of information I thought I would join up! Many of the problems I am encountering are the same ones that you lot deal with when building your projects. I will however try to refrain from clogging the pages with silly questions and will be using the search bar as much as possible!

Here are some pictures of the project if anyone is interested

+

=

the plans are;

push rod suspension (seems a few of you are doing this)

big radiator up front with electric water pump to help things along

alloy fuel tank in the front

tubular wishbones/custom uprights

eaton m60 supercharger

megasquirt

full cage

IVA (I think)

and lots more that I haven't thought of yet

Wheels244

posted on 11/8/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody who sticks a V8 in the back of anything is welcome in book.

Welcome aboard - I'll watch on with interest.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

adithorp

posted on 11/8/14 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome. I can't see any objection to that build.

I always liked the mk2 Scirocco. Didn't WV have a twin engined one they used for demos'/shows? I seem to remember it doing ridiculously quick laps of Brands during a BritishGP weekend back in the early 80's along with Fords Transit with GP car running gear.

Keep the updates coming.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Matt21

posted on 11/8/14 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
yes yes yes

Another welcome from me.
it doesnt matter what your building or what make of car youve got, i'm a fan of cars and the work people do on them, this is going to be a good one!

loggyboy

posted on 11/8/14 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome, looks like an interesting project. Always had a soft spot for the rocco. My bro has had three, and still has a v clean scalla with a 2.0 16v seat lump.

I wouldn't bother with IVA, whilst you technically should, no one else who heavily mods production cars ever bothers.
I also wouldn't bother with pushrod as the only really proven gain is aerodynamic, which you wont need on a closed wheel tiptop.

Keep he updates coming!

Mistral Motorsport

Agriv8

posted on 11/8/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you are in the right place as you tick the right ( should that be Wrong ) boxes.

good luck with the build do you plan to keep the Retro Roof Rack !!

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 11/8/14 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
awesome

I have a Scala a few years back, brilliant car, and a great steer:

I'll follow this with interest!

mark chandler

posted on 11/8/14 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cannot see an m60 being large enough for that lump, you need to plan for an m90, although I would look at something simpler like throttle bodies in the first instance and see how you get on.

Scootz had a fantastic engine build on an Audi v8 lump if you search this forum which should provide some ideas, also look at Claire's v6 TB conversions.

Regards Mark

b14wrc

posted on 11/8/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Got my attention!

Good looking project, keep us updated and welcome to the club.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

mikeb

posted on 11/8/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Like!
Had 2 Mk2's still miss my first GTX. Spotted one for sale in the back of practical classics cheap and seriously thought about it.
Fancy restoring a GTX and putting it to 16v spec with better brakes, power steering and suspension mods. Might be a future project.
Yours looks good.

FuryRebuild

posted on 11/8/14 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

This is officially mental, and I love it. V8 mid-engine.

Good Luck.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

MarkGTX

posted on 16/8/14 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Welcome. I can't see any objection to that build.

I always liked the mk2 Scirocco. Didn't WV have a twin engined one they used for demos'/shows? I seem to remember it doing ridiculously quick laps of Brands during a BritishGP weekend back in the early 80's along with Fords Transit with GP car running gear.

Keep the updates coming.

Yes they did, a few people have made twin engined rocco's since then. some cool video's on youtube if you search "durocco"

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Welcome, looks like an interesting project. Always had a soft spot for the rocco. My bro has had three, and still has a v clean scalla with a 2.0 16v seat lump.

I wouldn't bother with IVA, whilst you technically should, no one else who heavily mods production cars ever bothers.
I also wouldn't bother with pushrod as the only really proven gain is aerodynamic, which you wont need on a closed wheel tiptop.

Keep he updates coming!

I figured somewhere along the line someone would make me get an IVA (insurance, MOT etc) if not, that's excellent news!

I still have a lot of learning to do regarding pushrod suspension, but as I understand it there are a lot more advantages than just aerodynamic. Rising spring rate being a major one. and importantly for this build, more room in the wheel tub for silly wide split rims.

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Cannot see an m60 being large enough for that lump, you need to plan for an m90, although I would look at something simpler like throttle bodies in the first instance and see how you get on.

Scootz had a fantastic engine build on an Audi v8 lump if you search this forum which should provide some ideas, also look at Claire's v6 TB conversions.

Regards Mark

You're right about the eaton m60, I got my numbers muddled up! I will have a search for Scootz and his v8 build.

Thanks for the warm welcome from all of you, I will post updates as and when progress is made. at the moment its mainly tape measures and rather crude cad drawings so nothing to show at the moment!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.