Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car wrap?
scotty g

posted on 30/8/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
car wrap?

Hi all,
has anyone here had their car wrapped using that 3M stuff or similar, how easy did you find it or did you get a professional to do it, if so how much was it?

LARKINGABOUT

posted on 30/8/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Hi all,
has anyone here had their car wrapped using that 3M stuff or similar, how easy did you find it or did you get a professional to do it, if so how much was it?

Just had quotes to wrap the bonnet in stone protection film. Prices are around the £400 plus vat mark which I see as expensive bearing in mind the wrap is only about 2 metres at 1540 wide.and can't be more than £40. Just sounds a lot for half a days labour. Be interested if you find anyone cheaper . I managed to partially wrap the wings on my old car and it is a pain. I probably made it more difficult by not using enough slip solution

Slimy38

posted on 30/8/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
£400 for a bonnet? It's the easiest part of a car! There is a lot of prep required to get a good wrap though, the paintwork has to be perfectly smooth as the wrap will show up every spec of dust.

Next time you do a wrap, try it dry. There are definitely two camps with regards to wrapping, one goes for dry and the other option is wet. I've tried both, and dry is infinitely easier, especially for curved surfaces. A hairdryer, a credit card and decent film makes it so easier.

tegwin

posted on 30/8/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I just wrapped the roof of my defender 110 with black gloss air release vinyl..... Christ was a mission. Its a big roof... Even doing it in two sections I couldnt avoid all the bubbles.... but by the time I had finished I had quite a good technique...But its a landrover, I can live with some bubbles and lumps... On a proper car I wouldnt even try as I'd want perfection....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 31/8/14 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit I've yet to do a roof, but I suspect a lot of the difficulty is access (both vertically and horizontally). A bike fuel tank has been the worst thing I've done, that had to be done in two sections as well.
jossey

posted on 31/8/14 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I watched a guy do it at a garage and he used a pin to pop a few bubbles and warmed it up and they went.

And he used washing up liquid on the bends

3m stuff is better than most but the 3d carbon wrap is thick :-)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.