Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EU Tyre Labels – useful?
softfeet

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
EU Tyre Labels – useful?

Are the new EU tyre labels useful?

My road car needs new tyres. The size is 165/55R13 and the choice is:

Pirelli P700Z £57.90 EU Wet Grip Rating: E
Nankang XR611 £31.95 Wet Grip Rating: C

So the Nankang looks like better choice than the Pirelli. I realise there are other things to look at apart from wet grip but the EU tyre label does not give much more information.

What’s the general view on buying a Nankang instead of a Pirelli?

britishtrident

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
In my experience Nangkang's (185/55x15) are not good in the wet, my last experience with Pirelli was the original Cinturato so I can't comment on their tyres.

Any tyre you buy in that size is likely to be more focused on low wear and low fuel consumption than grip.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
The EU ratings are all self certified by the tyre manufacturers, so they aren't very useful at all IMO.

Not to mention that the wet rating is purely for wet braking, and it's entirely possible to have a tyre that brakes well in the wet but isn't great at cornering in the wet or aquaplane resistance.

mcerd1

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO just like the CO² emissions on the cars - now they have a standard system to work to all the tyre manufacturers are focused on ways of making the tyres look good on the tests rather than actually performing

but even ignoring the label those Pirelli's are quite an old design and not exactly cheap...
were as the Nankang's are cheap enough that they might be worth a try - you can always get Pirelli's next time

-

mark chandler

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Nankang ditch finders in my experience, I buy mainline tyres these days.
Alfa145

posted on 10/9/14 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
A quick look on MyTyres.co.uk gives a bigger choice than just those 2, in similar prices, plenty of top name brands with B as wet rating.
mcerd1

posted on 10/9/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
A quick look on MyTyres.co.uk gives a bigger choice than just those 2, in similar prices, plenty of top name brands with B as wet rating.

are you sure you put the right size in ? (165/55 R13)

I only got the 2 above + other nast budget tyres like: Minerva, Rotalla, Tristar and 'Performance Tyres' - some of which don't even have EU labels and none have more than a 'C' rating

-

Alfa145

posted on 10/9/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies, must be my mistake, just done the search again and got those 2 (and the crap ones) must have put something different in when I looked before.

Is there a slightly different profile/width you can change to that gives you the same rolling circumference but a better selection of tyres?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.