Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone tow with a big petrol?
MBrown

posted on 19/9/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend the Saab route, don't rule it put because of the name! I have a 2.0 aero Saab 9-3, it has a turbo, is great fun, loads of power, reasonably good mpg, unbelievable quality for such an amazing price, I got a 2007 with full cream leather etc etc and 65k for only £4000, has been very reliable and it still puts a smile on my face whenever I drive it. I'd seriously recommend test driving one as it has to be seen to believe it! It is up to the same standard as any other brand but so much cheaper! There is also a more powerful v6 model but mine does 0-60 in 7 seconds (although not when pulling a trailer)
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 19/9/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Land Rovers. I used to tow plenty with my 2.5DSE (2.5l BMW diesel-engine) P38 Range Rover, although have towed using the V8 model as well. Obviously the derv was better on fuel, but felt it didn't quote have the same grunt as the petrol. I now use a Defender, but have you considered a Discovery? Cheap as chips, and the usual thing that gets them is rot! And I'm pretty sure most people on here have access to or can weld to sort it out....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

daniel mason

posted on 19/9/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Strangely enough I've been looking at a saab 9-3 estate with the 2.0t engine.
The only thing that put me of was that it shared many vectra parts including engine which I was a bit wary of. But from reading forums it seems they are pretty reliable

britishtrident

posted on 19/9/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raplma
snip
I have towed with two P38 Range Rovers, one had the gas conversion, I am not a fan of towing weight on gas, even with the multipoint sequential system we blew an engine with the gas jets pretty much punching holes into the block, this could well have been an installation error, who knows, those engines were renown for being poor anyway, there is also less power on gas.
snip

? ??

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

simonrh

posted on 19/9/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
At the opposites of extreme, I often tow industrial trailers with a Mondeo 1.6 diesel and it is fine. Empty trailer is 1.1 tonne.

I recently collected a 2.75t boat from Suffolk to take to Rutland and decided to use something bigger. Borrowed an Overfinch range rover supercharged with 500 and something horsepower. Didin't even notice the trailer's brakes were jammed on for the first few miles!

[Edited on 19/9/14 by simonrh]

slingshot2000

posted on 19/9/14 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonrh
At the opposites of extreme, I often tow industrial trailers with a Mondeo 1.6 diesel and it is fine. Empty trailer is 1.1 tonne.

I recently collected a 2.75t boat from Suffolk to take to Rutland and decided to use something bigger. Borrowed an Overfinch range rover supercharged with 500 and something horsepower. Didin't even notice the trailer's brakes were jammed on for the first few miles!

[Edited on 19/9/14 by simonrh]

You mean to say that you didn't notice the cloud of tyre smoke behind you, or the smell of burnt rubber? Must have put an almighty flat-spot on the tyres. Mind you, not many drivers of Overfinches do use the mirrors !

simonrh

posted on 19/9/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I will rephrase, the brakes were dragging so heavily so that once we reached the first road wider than the boat we stopped and found smoke pouring from the drums.

The beauty with that much power is that getting going again is a breeze

twybrow

posted on 19/9/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used to tow with a Seat Leon Cupra 1.8t that was converted to run on lpg. Plenty of grunt and cheaper than running a diesel!
mookaloid

posted on 20/9/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
The only thing that put me of was that it shared many vectra parts including engine which I was a bit wary of. But from reading forums it seems they are pretty reliable

The 9-5 is a much better car than the 9-3. I got my 2.3T Aero estate (250BHP and 350NM) 2003 with 70K miles for £1500. You are quite correct about the Vectra link.

Drive them both and then you will understand. I have both and the only reason I have the 9-3 is that Mrs Mooky likes it because it is a convertible. It's crap to drive.

You can get cars of this age remapped to 275BHP and 400NM - good for towing very easily. Also automatic is the way forward for towing - no clutch to burn out.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Sam_68

posted on 20/9/14 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

If you're looking at Saabs, why not go for the 9-5 estate with the 2.2 litre diesel?

I know your original post said that you were wary of modern diesels but the 2.2 isn't modern (no DPF or fancy gubbins like that) and has a reputation for being bullet-proof.

I have a 9-5 2.2 diesel estate as my fishing car and back-up commuter, whilst my boss, coincidentally, runs a petrol Aero estate. The diesel is undeniably very agricultural (and obviously nowhere near as quick) in comparison to the nice, smooth petrol engine, but I consistently average 52mpg whereas he gets exactly the 31mpg quoted by rdodger. Both are automatics, incidentally, so you should be able to get a little better in both cases with a manual, though both of us drive relatively gently these days.

Mine cost £2K, in mint condition at 72K miles.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.