Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Split charging/leisure batteries
thefreak

posted on 17/9/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Split charging/leisure batteries

I'm trying to get my head around this and think there must be someone on here who can help out.

The truck I've got is a 24v system. It's 2x12v big ass batteries wired in series to give 24v. All the electrics are 24v including stereo and cig lighter.

What I want to do is sort out a decent reliable supply for standard 12v (13.8v) appliances.

One option I think might work is to take a feed from one of the batteries, fuse it and split out from that, but not sure if because the charging system will be 24v whether this will work as will it be dumping too much back to the battery?

Second option is to use one of the voltage droppers which plug into the ciggy lighter. Not ideal as if I want to run interior strip lights/fridge/decent head unit from this it's going to get overloaded quickly.

Third option is fitting a 12v leisure battery and sorting out a split charge system, but they all seem to be 12v to 12v or 24v to 24v. Again, could I look at it the same as the first option and take the feed from one battery to the split charge system or will I still end up throwing 24v at the 12v leisure battery? I've seen a couple of 24v to 12v split charge systems but for £300+ it sounds a bit excessive for something which should be straight forward enough.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom?

stevebubs

posted on 17/9/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
£300? Seems excession...quick google brought up... http://www.force4.co.uk/9677/Alfatronix-24V-to-12V-Converter-.html

wrt to tapping the battery - don't think it's recommended as one will be discharging quicker than the other. OK. during discharge phase, but when charging, one will become fully charged and the alt voltage will then try and overcharge it, potentially damaging it...

thefreak

posted on 17/9/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
My thoughts were would the step down be enough to run the 12v stereo, fridge, some LED strip lights possibly?
Also with the stereo needing perm 12v wouldn't the battery drain pretty quickly?

mark b

posted on 17/9/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
You can't draw a deal from one battery without upsetting the charging system and only one battery will charge - can you not get your hands on a inverter to charge your 12v battery with a trickle charger or a HD voltage dropper for you 12v equipment?

I have a friend that uses a solar panel to keep a 12v battery topped up but this would depend on your usage?

thefreak

posted on 17/9/14 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's an idea with the solars.
Would need to figure out some way of getting 12v from the ignition switch for the head unit then?

DW100

posted on 18/9/14 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Durite do a whole range of 24 to 12volt converters for permanent wiring.

From this

DURITE Voltage Converter 24-12 volt 3 amp

to this

Durite - Voltage Converter 24 to 12 volt Non Isolated 24 amp Bx1 - 0-578-24 | eBay
urite - Voltage Converter 24 to 12 volt Non Isolated 24 amp Bx1 - 0-578-24

stevebubs

posted on 18/9/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
That's an idea with the solars.
Would need to figure out some way of getting 12v from the ignition switch for the head unit then?

Relay driven off the 24v system but switching the 12v...

Smoking Frog

posted on 18/9/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Some older Nissan Patrol were 24v (two 12v batteries) and had a inverter fitted under the dash. Don't know if it would power a fridge though, as it was mainly for the radio. I think the 12v leisure battery would be the best route, if things go pear shaped you'll still be able to start the engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.