Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Burton Kit Car
prawnabie

posted on 21/9/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Burton Kit Car

Hi Everyone,

My father-in-law is looking at building a 2cv based car. Where he spends a lot of time in eastern Spain, he has seen a Burton kit car and really likes the look of it.

There isn't a lot of info on the web about them, the manufacturers site is ok, but the UK importer 2CV city won't reply to our emails (although they have replied to "test" emails of a non-burton nature - they also didn't want to know on the phone either).

I have fond very basic info about a couple of UK build Burtons - does anyone know of any builds on the net I can look at, I need to know how much work is required to put it through an IVA.

Thanks,
Shaun

[Edited on 21/9/14 by prawnabie]

[Edited on 21/9/14 by prawnabie]

Sam_68

posted on 21/9/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
...I need to know how much work is required to put it through an IVA.

Surely, as a straight rebody of a 2CV chassis, it doesn't need IVA?

prawnabie

posted on 21/9/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have thought about that but the website says that english builders a while back got thought the SVA with a few mods, it would be interesting to see what the general consensus is on this though.

iank

posted on 21/9/14 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
If the chassis is unmodified then no IVA would be required, but if you need to modify it then, in theory, you'll need to do the full test.

Maybe an email to the manufacturer would be helpful, maybe they don't know their agent in the UK has a nasty case of CBA. I've not met many Dutch people who don't speak at least basic English, and for the majority it's excellent.

Given their website has a Spanish button there might be a few people who've got them registered there as well and he could build it in the Sun.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ettore bugatti

posted on 21/9/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Popular kit in The Netherlands, looks good

Just contact Burton themselves, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

prawnabie

posted on 21/9/14 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the into guys, I will be dropping the factory and Email, but just wondered if anyone on here had done one or looked into it and it was a no go-er.
scotty g

posted on 21/9/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Best looking 2CV based kit by a mile. Love these.
splitrivet

posted on 21/9/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
My Bro is building a 2cv based Pembleton trike, he's found a German company that supply new 2cv bits including chassis at prices a lot lower than over here even allowing for shipping.
He's away on his jollies at the moment I'll find out who they are when he's back if it'll help.
Cheers,
Bob
Edit. Think this is them
linky
Theres a big 2cv breakers over Derby way (I think)

[Edited on 21/9/14 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

callumB

posted on 9/10/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Shaun,
No need to IVA/SAV a Burton in the UK at this current time.

Build it with the DVLA 'Radically Altered Vehicles' category in mind. In reality, this is easy as only the engine and the VIN plate is identifiable from the donor car. The rules state that if either the body, or the chassis are changed, then it is IVA exempt. However, if both are changed, then it falls foul of IVA. Of course, your donor car will already have a replacement galvanised chassis on it..won't it! :-)

Have a look at www.bevs.org/car for my own build.

I would deal direct with Burton in Zutphen rather than go through 2CV City. They'll quite happily talk to you in English.

Any question, drop me a line.

Rgrds
C

prawnabie

posted on 9/10/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Callum,

Thanks for the reply,

I stumbled across your citroen build in a Classics mag I was reading last month - then I found your Burton build (its pretty much the only one I could find!)

We are planning a trip over to the Netherlands in the new year as I am planning to IVA my westfield this year. The website says you can hire them so hopefully the plan is to do that whilst we are there.

I will certainly be in touch at some point.

Thanks,

Shaun

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.