Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Family Car Wanted. Advice Please...
Irony

posted on 11/12/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Family Car Wanted. Advice Please...

Sorry for the 'what car shall I get thread?'.

I am getting sick and tired of my Ford Focus C-max 1.9TDCi. Upon starting the power assisted brakes sometimes fail, this goes away after 30 seconds, then its fine. Garage says it could be a number of things all costing a fortune. It looses power every so often and goes into limp home mode. But upon taking it to the garage it runs perfect with no faults. Now the missus just got into it and it flashed up 'power assist steering failure' it then proceeded to work perfectly. This is the car my missus drives our 1 year old son around in. It's starting to scare me.

I am thinking of moving it on. So I need a baby hauler, family car, similar sized to a focus Cmax which has isofix seats and I have around £2500 to spend. Any ideas?

[Edited on 11/12/14 by Irony]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 11/12/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ford did a recall on Mondeo / S-MAX on a brake problem that sounds identical. Basically a valve needed replacing as when it was cold it could sieze up (or something). Was done free of charge at the main stealer. May be worth checking to see if you're covered.
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/12/14 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Do not buy a Renault Scenic or Grand Scenic.

Your list of faults is tiny to what happened to ours over the years till we flogged it in disgust.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 11/12/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
How about an early VW Touran?
( make sure its the seven seat model)
We have had a later 2006 1.9 TDI for the last five years and it has been an excellent family motor. Big boot with very versatile seating (can be totally removed if you want van like carrying capacity (the extra 2 seats fold away into the boot floor)
Good economy and reliability with lots of cubby holes and storage space. Air con, cruise control leccy windows etc.

daniel mason

posted on 11/12/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I went for a 2006 kia sorento! It's been faultless so far other than a headlight bulb!
Very good all rounder and mpg not as bad as you may think.
I've just towed trailer and race car round Scottish highlands and averaged bang on 31mpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.